A Princess personal Cruise Planner?!?!?

Sox Fan Cruiser

So I got an e-mail recently from someone who identified themselves as a Cruise Vacation Planner, Princess Cruises. They wished me "Greetings from Princess Cruises" and hoped that I had an enjoyable time on my most recent cruise. (Which I did just return from!)

Then they said to give them a call when I want to book my next cruise "directly with Princess". The whole tone of the e-mail is that he works at Princess but I have never heard from him before and we've taken about 10 cruises. We did fill out some surveys for Princess after our Alaskan adventure and mailed them in but that's the only thing we did differently.

He even has an e-mail address that is @princesscruises.com.

Is this just a tricky method from a TA to get my business? (no judgement on TAs) Or is this person for real at Princess? Seems shady to me. And we always book directly with Princess so that has me questioning it more since we've never heard from him before.

Just as I wouldn't purchase insurance or purchase investment instruments from someone who sells for only one company, neither would I purchase a cruise from someone who sells for only one cruise line. I prefer an independent evaluation from someone who isn't under the gun to meet a sales quota.

I did not know they existed until a few months ago, when I recieved a letter in the mail from one. Although I have taken several cruises with Princess, this was the first time I was contacted by a planner. The difference this time, I think.....I purchased an upcoming cruise directly from Princess during a two for one pricing promotion. I have had one conversation with the planner...they were very nice and knowledgeable about cruising. Although they have not really done anything as yet, they are watching for potential upgrades for us. I have to say that it is a nice gesture by Princess. Since we cruise quite a bit, we didn't really have any questions, but I think, if we were newbies, they would be a great resource. We will see how it turns out....

You should watch for price drops yourself because I have booked directly with Princess and they never contacted me when there was a price drop. I have caught quite a few on my own but they never called to tell me.

i second that. i have seen a price drop and had to call in to get it, they were not pro-active that way.

stump300, the upgrades come or they don't-i don't believe the planner has any say in how or who it happens to. they put 'upgrade please' on the file and that's it.

A friend of mine works for Princess in this capacity. He has cruised many times on Princess and knows Princess ship's very well. If you don't mind paying full price - I don't think there is anything wrong with booking with them.

i second that. i have seen a price drop and had to call in to get it, they were not pro-active that way.

stump300, the upgrades come or they don't-i don't believe the planner has any say in how or who it happens to. they put 'upgrade please' on the file and that's it.

Hi cdngrl,

The upgrades have never come along for us anyway. I see you did the Grand 08 Egypt & Aegean. We are doing the same this Oct. You have any personal tips, reviews, or suggestions that are not already posted on the threads??

I booked directly with Princess and have worked very closely with my "personal vacation planner" She was very knowledgeable about the ship and found me several price reductions. She searched for the particular rooms that we wanted and notified me personally when she found them. She called me to verify that my pre-cruise information was only partially filled out for my party and did I want her to copy the same emergency contact information for everyone in our group.

This was a service that I never got on RCCL and I enjoyed it. It is a shame that you didn't know to take advantage of it before your cruise.

Hi cdngrl,

The upgrades have never come along for us anyway. I see you did the Grand 08 Egypt & Aegean. We are doing the same this Oct. You have any personal tips, reviews, or suggestions that are not already posted on the threads??

stump 300, can't think of anything off the top of my head, but if you have any questions feel free to email me: ash02 at telus.net

I received one too from a Princess Cruise Vacation Planner and I have never taken a cruise with Princess. I am planning a Baltic cruise for next May and have asked her a number of questions to which she has replied and has sent me some DVDs that I asked for. She seems legit.

I requested Alaska brochures from several different cruiselines, and Princess was the only one who followed up with a phone call from my "personal vacation planner". He was very nice, not pushy at all, just provided the info I wanted and gave me his contact info if I needed further assistance. I thought it was great - a very nice touch!

I booked directly with Princess for my first cruise. I sail next week (can't wait!!!). I was called by a personal cruise planner several months ago to answer questions and help arrainge anything I needed. She calls about once a month to check to see if I need anything else. It has been nice.

She called again today to wish me a wonderful trip and to let me know she was a phone call away if I had any last minute questions. She has been a terrific souce of information when I was very uncertain about details.

I did not receive email from a vacation planner but from the Captain of the ship we just sailed on. Have never received that before....I know it is probably a mass mailing but still thought it strange. Is this a new marketing ploy? DH did not receive one.

We have had a personal planner with Princess for several months and found her helpful, not pushy and we have received the best price I could find (and I researched) for our AK and upcoming Carrib cruises. She is like a TA with past experience inside several departments at Princess, quite knowledgeable and accomodating. So far it has been nice to be able to speak to the same person about our ever changing plans. She has begun to know our personal preferences. Till I find better pricing I will utilize her talents.

• 6 months later...
So I got an e-mail recently from someone who identified themselves as a Cruise Vacation Planner, Princess Cruises. They wished me "Greetings from Princess Cruises" and hoped that I had an enjoyable time on my most recent cruise. (Which I did just return from!)

Then they said to give them a call when I want to book my next cruise "directly with Princess". The whole tone of the e-mail is that he works at Princess but I have never heard from him before and we've taken about 10 cruises. We did fill out some surveys for Princess after our Alaskan adventure and mailed them in but that's the only thing we did differently.

He even has an e-mail address that is @princesscruises.com.

Is this just a tricky method from a TA to get my business? (no judgement on TAs) Or is this person for real at Princess? Seems shady to me. And we always book directly with Princess so that has me questioning it more since we've never heard from him before.

Just call 1-800-Pri-nces and ask

Archived