Yet another drinks Question - not smuggling honest

Being from the UK I'm always interested in the measures used in the US for drinks when served at a bar.

For example, I believe the standard for a spirit (liquor) in the UK is 25ml for a single measure and obviously 50ml for a double.

Wine is either served in general as 125ml, 175ml or 250ml and a bottle contains 750ml.

What measures are generally used at the bars on board?

I know if it is 'free pour' then it may not be an exact amount. I never looked previously at the fluid ounces marked on the glass, even if it is, when enjoying my favourite glass of wine. Just curious.

We are just back and found the spirits quite generous but if you ask for house wine at the bar, it is a small glass, we asked for a chardonnay but not house it was a dollar more but twice the size. Most drinks were free pour so its hard to say how much but they were quite strong especially when you get to know the bar staff as the week goes on.;)

Being from the UK I'm always interested in the measures used in the US for drinks when served at a bar.

For example, I believe the standard for a spirit (liquor) in the UK is 25ml for a single measure and obviously 50ml for a double.

Wine is either served in general as 125ml, 175ml or 250ml and a bottle contains 750ml.

What measures are generally used at the bars on board?

I know if it is 'free pour' then it may not be an exact amount. I never looked previously at the fluid ounces marked on the glass, even if it is, when enjoying my favourite glass of wine. Just curious.

While not practiced on the ship, or in a lot of US bars for that matter, I think the "standard" shot is 1floz or 29.57ml, so very slightly larger than the UK shot. When I first moved to the US, I couldn't believe that the bars did not have the spirits lined up on optics like back home!! I have been in a few bars where they will pour into a shot glass and then pour that into the drink glass, but this seems rare, free pour is the norm, at least in Florida

The standard measurement for a high ball is between 1.0 or 1.5 ounces. For cocktails the amount of liquor can of course be much higher if you're laying liquors.

Jiggers come in various measures - anywhere from 1 to 2 ounces.

I have usuallly found that at the beginning of the cruise the satff are feeling you out as much as you are trying to get the best band for your buck. Most bar tender "free pour" based on if you are a repeat customer and how well you tip I always try t leave a little extra pays off in the end Trust me

Archived