Grenada - new cruise terminal open

Jumbie

Still needs work (and there is a lot of expansion planned), but we had 5 ships in today.

Two were on the new port, two on the old port and one was tendered. I had heard that we were expecting a 6th ship in, but didn't see it.

Anyway, this is great news for Grenada and a huge step forward for our tourist industry.

Future visitors can expect to avoid tendering in to St George's :)

Jumbie,

Thanks for the update. I have one question, though, how did the island, in its current state, deal with the sudden influx of such a large number of tourists? Thanks in advance.

Not too badly from what I could see. I was working with my dad for most of the day, so I really couldn't give you a very accurate report. There were lots of tourists walking around and I saw several large tour buses heading out while I was looking for parking.

I guess it must have been the Golden. I hope that in the months to come she gets to dock at the terminal.
Yeah, it was the Golden Princess.

I also hope that the ships will get to use the new port in the upcoming months.

There was another ship in yesterday that tendered and the small one that was in today was on the old port. However, it's Christmas and St George's is already packed full. That may be part of the reason.

As well, I don't know if it's the ship's choice to tender? While I would think the hassle and inconvenience would make them dislike this option, perhaps it costs them less (port charges) to do so? For what it's worth, I don't think this is likely, but I'm just throwing it out there.

Will let you know what happens in the upcoming weeks.

No prob crisp1. Glad to help and I'm also thrilled that the port is open.

Like I said a couple posts earlier, the ships in after Tuesday were either tendered or on the old dock for whatever reason.

I was getting a little worried about whether or not the new port was actually open or if it was simply a test, but went to the beach this morning with my dad for a walk and a quick dip before heading out to Christmas lunch by some family friends and saw another ship [not sure which] on the new port.

Possibly, I was correct about them not using it cause of town being so busy for Christmas. You literally can't drive or walk through there during this time of year and adding in a few hundred visitors + taxis and tour buses would make it absolute chaos.

Here are some more pics from the 21st. Again, they are not my own, but they give a couple of close-up shots of the ships docked. As you can see, still needs a lot of work, but the main thing is that it is useable. The shot with buses is just a temporary thing. They are being re-located further down the street, but that is also in the process of being completed.

There are plans to build a shopping complex and other things around the Welcome Centre in the coming years.

I have no idea what they're doing with the port. The couple ships since I last wrote haven't been using it.

For example, two days ago there were two ships in - a small one on the old port and a larger one tendered.

Today, there was a large ship [the Aurora] using the new port. Unfortunately, it's a rainy day today so I'm sorry for those folks.

Anyway, I really don't know how they're deciding who goes where. But again, they do seem to be using the new port every now and then...

Glad to provide any info I can. I'll keep updates on here until I can figure out what criteria they're using.

I was on the Golden Princess on the 22nd. Grenada was beautiful! Thoroughly enjoyed our visit!
I love hearing people say that :D

Glad you enjoyed your stop. I was sad to see that you guys were tendered though. After seeing the new port in use the day before (on the 21st), when I saw the Golden anchored out at sea, I was like "what the hell?"

Thanks for the alternate view 1kycat. Webcams take such inflattering pics though.

But seriously, the port still needs a lot of work. It's basically the dock, the Welcome Centre, a carpark and a lot of dirt. Like I said earlier, I'm surprised that it's even open but I guess that no matter how unfinished it is, it's still preferrable to tendering.

Just got back from the beach cause my dad "fired" me while my sister is here visiting for a couple weeks and I took a shot of the ship on the new port from there. I'll post it later if she brought the USB connection with her (took it with my sister's camera and knowing her, there's a chance she forgot the cable in Miami).

It was a pretty nice day, but I barely saw any tourists there. Ironically, yesterday when it was raining and the water was somewhat rough, there were quite a few.

cruisinmamma, you're welcome. Glad to help out while I can. I'll likely disappear from these boards at the end of Jan once I start back classes. I honestly won't have the time to "waste" on the web like I do now.

And yeah, I'll be glad, but not necessarily to see you. (joke) :p heh, you know what I'm talking about, I'm sure.

The new dock means you don't have to tender in. Unfortunately, it's still Grenada. I do NOT understand why people like this island. We've been 3 times on cruises and that's 3 times too many. We were there on Xmas day on the Dawn, walked down the pier, bought some spices, then my wife and kid went back and I walked into town, turned around, and got back on the ship. We did not dare take a taxi to a beach. Grenadan beaches are the worst in the Caribbean. Before you even hit the sand you are attacked by venders and chair guys competing and once you sit down the venders are in your face constantly--and don't take "No Thank You!" for an answer. No other island is like that--the beach venders are far less intrusive and far more polite. We would MUCH prefer other islands that the ships don't go to as much. I do not know why Grenada stays on the itineraries!

Don't hold anything back. Tell us how you really feel about Grenada.

You know what, I'm sorry you don't like it here. However, I'm glad that not everyone feels that way. If you don't like it after three visits, then next time, don't torture yourself and remain on the ship. I know that's what I'd do if I didn't like a port after trying it a second time (as the first bad experience could have just been an "off day").

Having said that, I admit that the vendors are a bit aggressive, but I think you are grossly exaggerating. In my experience, they always leave you alone with a simple, "No thanks, I'm not interested." Worked just fine with the two that approached the group I was with today.

As far as why Grenada stays on the itinerary, there obviously has to be some reason. It's either a financial thing for the companies, or *gasp* some people actually like the stop.

Sorry if I'm coming off as a bit rude, but I find the tone of your post and its apparent condescension distasteful.

I've read posts about Montego bay and the vendors, and how some just go to Margaritaville ( if I wanted to just drink in a bar, I'd stay home- it's cheaper). I've read posts about how 'poor' Dominica is,and how people just stayed on the ship. We found it not only to one of the most unspoiled islands in the caribbean, but the people some of the friendliest, everyone waving and saying hi! Twentysomething years ago I went to Haiti on my first cruise. It was one of the worst/best experiences of my life ( maybe why I still cruise). At that time, even with the poverty, the people were open and honest, and the beauty of the island still remains. I can't wait to visit Grenada, one of the main reasons for taking this cruise... and I booked after the hurricane.

Archived