Grenada - new cruise terminal open

Jumbie

Thanks for putting it in perspective crisp1.

I'm not all that happy with the post I made above, but although I respect that not everyone will like (or have a positive experience here), I think it could have been said in a better manner and I "reacted" to it. I guess, too, that no one likes hearing the place where they live so blatantly insulted.

Again, if he didn't enjoy his stop here, that's fine. I don't expect everyone to love every port they go to. But I think it's rather ridiculous to say that Grenada's beaches are the "worst in the Caribbean".

I like your outlook and I truly hope you enjoy your stop here. Come with an open mind and watch out for the vendors!! Seriously though, like I've agreed many times on these boards previously (and again in my post just now) they can come on a little strong. But like I also said, they go on their way if you let them know you're not interested. At least, that's been my experience the multiple times my white skin has left me mistaken for a tourist.

If there is a place on earth that is considered the pits, it's New Jersey USA. But for us 'natives', it's 'the best place on earth'! I'll never understand how people who love to travel prefer the 'sanitized' travel experience. NJ has it's dumps and hi-ways, NY has it's homeless, prostitutes and drug dealers, but do people stop going to Broadway or our beaches? (our's will never compare to your's!). I travel to see the diversity of 'life'... every island/country is a new experience. I love cruising because it's 'intense', I get to see several cultures and their locals in one week, along with meeting several different cultures, crew and shipmates( those southerners are really hard to understand. LOL) aboard the ship. To those who are afraid of the unknown/ unexpected, or are looking for the 'safe' vacation, stick to the 'all-inclusive' or 'resort'. Cruising for me has always been about 'getting-out-there'!

We visited Grenada the first week of December while on Golden Princess. It was one of the ports I was really looking forward to visiting, before and after the hurricane. Grenada was the biggest dissapointment of our trip (my opinon only, please remember!). We love to explore on our own, and did so on Grenada. We walked well into town, going to areas where we were the only visible tourists. Yes, the locals near the pier and in the town area right near the water, were friendly. However when we ventured further (where many locals were wandering about, but no other tourists), it was made VERY clear to us by the Grenadians that they were not happy we were on their island. We thought the citizens were some of the most unfriendly we've ever encountered, even in employees in some of the out of the way shops we went to didn't seem to welcome us. Granted, Grenada has seen a lot of hardship recently and is trying to get back on its feet, but treating tourists, which bring in money, with such little respect will not help out. And please no flames that we were coming across in a way to get such reactions. Quite the opposite.

As far as the beach; we also went to Grande Anse (sp?). I also found the vendors excessive. We were only there about an hour and were approached about 10 times. Yes, they do take "no thank you" for an answer quickly, but it is still not relaxing to have someone standing over you while you have your eyes shut, napping or sunning.

If we have an itinerary again that goes to Grenada, I'll give it a second chance, possibly booking a private or very small group tour. I hope things improve as I know many people have good things to say about Grenada, and that is why we were so looking forward to this port. Maybe we just stopped on an "off" day when all the stars didn't line up just right!

Kelfly I am truly sorry that you didn't have such a great experience outside of the "immediate tourist area". However, I appreciate the way you related the reasons why you were disappointed with your visit here. I did not find it in the least offensive like I did with the previous poster's own and you did not have to resort to insulting the country. It all goes back to the comment that "it's not what you say, it's how you say it".

It make me feel sad that you were treated that way and you are 100% correct that treating guests to our island in such a manner really isn't the best idea in the world. Even if we didn't need the money at this time...

I've always been proud that most people describe Grenadians as a warm and open people and I'm sorry that you seemed to have had the opposite impression in certain parts.

However, I'm happy that you're willing to give my island another shot if you ever have the opportunity to visit again because like you said, many people do indeed have positive reports of their time here.

Again, with the vendors... It's something that really irritates me because it's a complaint that I hear repeated all the time and I know that it is something that the government is trying to educate the people about i.e. that it is not a good approach and most visitors don't like it, yet they still persist.

Hopefully one day they will get the message. But in the mean time, like you confirmed about my own personal experience, tell them a simple "No thanks," and they will leave you alone.

Jumbie....I appreciate all of your comments and especially all of the pictures of the new pier you have pointed us toward. I plan on doing ALL of our shopping in St. Georges...Could you point us toward the best/main shopping area. It's looks as though (if we dock at the new pier) we take a left after the welcome center and another left at the street? And then what?

And where do you catch the boats to Grand Anse/Magizine beach?

Thanks for being patient with us/me.

Jumbie,

I have a thicker skin than that! I'm not offended! I do not like Grenada, I've dealt with vendors on scads of Caribbean islands, but Grenada was the worst. The cabbies and water taxis weren't much better. But please remember, that's just IMHO! If others like it, great! I always enjoy Martinique but many people don't like THAT island either. As for Crisp1 and NJ: I live in NJ. It's the densest state in the Union. Don't come here! It's awful! Ignore the propaganda that the beaches are nicer than California (and they are) or that we have wild turkeys and black bear (seen 'em in the yard) and that we have some of the nicest and fanciest neighborhoods on the East Coast. Don't believe the lies that we have great sailing and fishing lakes and even lovely ski resorts. And forget all the historical sites here since a lot of the Revolution was fought on New Jersey soil. Oh, and forget the New York Giants who play here (and I'd like to forget them! ) or the New York Jets who play here too and just made the playoffs. Forget the Meadowlands and 6 Flags and the Delaware Water Gap and Atlantic City. Stay away from our awful state--to paraphrase one of our leading citizens, Yogi Berra (lives in the town of Montclair), Nobody comes here--it's TOO CROWDED!

NoPiratesPlease...I'm happy that you like it there in Jersey. You would be surprised at some of the things you hear from others though. ;)

I think that it’s pretty obvious that you would not be comfortable with others stereotyping the place that you live and the kind of people that live there….as you have done with Grenada and it’s people.

But I can't totally blame you. If I was staying in the GV...I would spend most of my time there as well. :)

Travel can be such a rich experience, no matter where you choose to travel. One of the best things about visiting a Caribbean Island is exploring the landscape, culture, and history of the entire island, not just the cruise port or nearby beach. I've been to Colon, Panama -- an absolute slum -- but the nearby jungle and lakes are wild and beautiful. Some on the ship kept talking about how bad it was, but they didn't bother to really get a full picture of the place. If the beach or sanitized shopping mall near the port wasn't to their liking, then the whole place was "bad."

I've been getting excited about my visit to Grenada next week. The island has such a rich environment and culture.

Maybe they should build a big artificial island in the middle of the Atlantic filled with shopping malls and Disney-like attractions for those who are inclined to those types of places. Then the ships can totally bypass all genuine travel experiences that threaten to provide us with new perspectives. I can't imagine spending thousands of dollars to see a beautiful part of the world and not take advantage of the rich travel experiences.

This is just the perspective of an experienced traveler. I guess I see things through a different set of glasses.

CtDahlquist:

I hope you enjoy Grenada.

You have now stereotyped ME without knowing where I've been, what I've done or what I've seen.

You have no idea.

I have spent hours in an empty Gothic French cathedral (they don't heat those things) in 20 degree cold on a February morning after having frozen my tail outside all night in a borrowed sleeping bag, and then, come into this masterpiece and didn't feel the cold until I couldn't stop shaking.

I have stood shivering in 100 degree heat because the dust of Troy was on my feet and the feel of the angled walls was under my hands--and the sight of Gallipoli just across the water awed me that people had been fighting over this place for 5000 years--from long before Homer's tale to World War I.

I have stood for an hour and a half in front of Michaelangelo's David showing a 7 year old boy its wonders without HIM getting bored.

I have never been to Disneyland, DisneyWorld, or EuroDisney--and I haven't missed them.

I have stood in a crowd atop the Acropolis and had them vanish as I looked upon statues I had studied 30 years earlier but never dreamed I'd see--or how they were even more wonderous than I could imagine.

I have stood in front of James MacNeil Whistler's most famous painting and realized, in awe, that it was NOT "Whistler's Mother" but "Arrangement in Black and Gray (the Painter's Mother)" and seen that the difference was vaster than I imagined.

I have stood in an ancient Polynesian temple, 1300 years old and STILL an active place of worship.

What do you know of what I see when I travel? What do you know of where I've been? What do you know of what I understand?

NoPiratesPlease:

I apologize if I lumped you in with the type of tourist who enjoys only the americanized/sanitized attractions. Your travel experience clearly demonstrates otherwise. Unfortunately, your first message indicates that you have only had limited exposure to Grenada (you mention being near the port). If you have gotten a good picture of the entire island, then allow me to apologize again.

I guess I had a negative reaction to your first posting because of the overall tone. I felt bad for the proud folks of Grenada who have pride for their part of paradise; I'm sure some of them were insulted. I'm sure you've seen Americans abroad making brash and insentitive statements -- the kind that spawn the term "Ugly American" -- and your posting reminded me of this. Since I care about America and how Americans are viewed in the world, I felt compelled to add my own comments.

Perhaps I have not been fair, since I've not visited Grenada. I'll be sure to add some comments about my experience when I return.

I apologize again for stereotyping.

Not a problem. But we've been to more than the port and one beach on Grenada--and it's STILL one of my LEAST favorite islands in the Caribbean. There's lots and lots of islands in the Caribbean, and we've been to a bunch of them (who knows how many?)--and enjoyed almost all of the ones we've been to. This trip was our first time on Domenica and we were ENCHANTED by it.

St.Thomas, Antigua, Barbados and Tortolla were all "old friends" this cruise. Grenada's one of the very few islands we haven't enjoyed when we've been there. Most are just wonderful.

Ship in yesterday was on the new port. Day before was tendered. Still no idea what's going on.

I passed by the Ministry of Tourism today to find out something and was sent to a lady working in the Welcome Centre (this is on the old port by the way). I asked her what was going on with the new port only being used sometimes and she told me that she was just as confused as I am.

So, no solving of that mystery just yet.

Jumbie....I appreciate all of your comments and especially all of the pictures of the new pier you have pointed us toward.
No problem. Glad to help while I can. Get those questions in now cause I'll be gone from these boards at the end of the month once I resume classes.

I plan on doing ALL of our shopping in St. Georges...Could you point us toward the best/main shopping area.
While I appreciate that sentiment, I'm going to tell you flat out that there really isn't that much to buy here unless you want to get souvenirs just for the sake of spending some cash.

I posted some stuff in another thread a while back so you might want to take a look at that.

Honestly, the biggest help to our economy is from money spent on taxis/tours. That's just my opinion. Statistics may prove otherwise.

It's looks as though (if we dock at the new pier) we take a left after the welcome center and another left at the street? And then what?
Like I posted earlier, I'm not sure how great an idea it is to have opened the new port before the entire project is finished. Most everything geared towards visitors is still on the other side of town as the old port. It's not a long walk, but it's not exactly pedestrian-friendly. Doesn't bother me cause I'm used to walking with cars zooming by an inch away but I don't see many people being all that thrilled with it.

Anyway, your choices to get to that area are to either walk through the tunnel right next to the port (on the right if you're exiting it) or to walk up the block past KFC and turn right on that street (at the traffic lights) and then walk over the hill.

Or you could just wonder around near to the new port. I'm not going to give you any directions cause 1) there's no point, and 2) you CANNOT get lost. It isn't all that big.

And where do you catch the boats to Grand Anse/Magizine beach?

Thanks for being patient with us/me.

Usually right on the harbour next to the old port. No idea where with the new one. I've heard that they've built a jetty for the water taxis, but have no first hand knowledge. Sorry.

However, it should be close by and someone in the Welcome Centre should be able to further guide you.

This thread is fascinating. I, for one, will miss Jumbie's input and inside information on Grenada when he starts back at school. Good luck to you Jumbie and come back on the boards when you can.

Can't wait for my first visit to Grenada in four weeks!

One of the reasons that Grenada has always been a favorite for us is the warmth of the people. On our first trip(1995), we (4 of us) hired a taxi (mini-van) for the day. Our driver, Vincent, was a gem! All of the places that we stopped, the people treated us like family!! At the beach, Vincent kind of hung around to help us with vendors...my sister had her hair beaded and I bought a couple of things and that was it. He also guided us in some cultural knowledge which helped so that we didn't goof in our manners with the locals!! We have visited twice since then and booked our next on the Zenith because it included Grenada. I expect that the island will have changed, but we can't wait to get back!! IMHO the Nutmeg Restaurant has the best Pumpkin soup on earth!!! The soup alone would bring me back!!! :cool:

Jumbie, are there any Celebrity ships coming back to port yet?? We will be there mid-March, so I'm optimistic that we will be there. Are your classes returning to Grenada, or are you coming here??

Hi Jumbie

Reading this thread with interest as we will be back again on Granada

aboard P&O Oceana. This will be our sixth visit to your beautiful island.

Can you tell me were the new berth is situated? To the right of left of the old one. Is it nearer of further to Grande Anse? How is Grande Anse after the hurricane? Is my friend who hires the deck chairs, a big guy who winters in Germany still around.

Yes the vendors are a bit in your face, but once they realise, I am a poor English guy they leave us alone.

Regards

Ray

The new port is to the right as you look seawards and you need to either walk through Sendall Tunnel or towards market turn right and go up and over the hill to reach the Carenage.

Grand Anse beach is just as good as before the hurricane struck.Suggest if people get fed up with beach vendors they move up the beach a little in the direction away from St. George where it is much less crowded (cruise passengers in the main only occupying a small stretch of beach where taxis drop off) and is as such less attractive to them with fewer potential customers.

For souvenirs there are a couple of shops on Young Street, try Art Fabrik where you can also see fabrik work being done in the shop. Have a range of items including some made from hurricane debris.

Thanks Jumbie...for all of the info.

Especially the tip about going to over to the old peir....and how to get around the tunnel.

Thanks again

No problem.

But like I said, I'm not sure how comfortable you're going to be with your walk through the town (well over the hill to the other side anyway). While I see many visitors doing it, there is no real sidewalk in some places and you are basically walking on the road while cars drive by next to you. If it makes you feel any better, the drivers are used to the pedestrians and you won't get hit.

Walking through the tunnel is faster.

Like denboy suggested, you can pop into Art Fabrik. It's on the left when you descent the hill (if you decide to go that route). Tikal is on the right (also on the descent of the hill). I think I might have mentioned Ganzee in the thread I linked to, but they're boarded up. I've heard they've relocated to another spot temporarily, but not sure where exactly.

Once on the other side, I'd recommend stopping at the Nutmeg Restaurant for a drink. It's on the second floor above Food Fair (in case you're looking for it at street level) but the sign should be well displayed.

This thread is fascinating. I, for one, will miss Jumbie's input and inside information on Grenada when he starts back at school. Good luck to you Jumbie and come back on the boards when you can.

Can't wait for my first visit to Grenada in four weeks!

Thanks for the well wishes. Looking forward to getting back to completing my education.

Hope you enjoy your visit here. Destruction is still evident, but it ain't (sic) all bad.

One of the reasons that Grenada has always been a favorite for us is the warmth of the people. On our first trip(1995), we (4 of us) hired a taxi (mini-van) for the day. Our driver, Vincent, was a gem! All of the places that we stopped, the people treated us like family!! At the beach, Vincent kind of hung around to help us with vendors...my sister had her hair beaded and I bought a couple of things and that was it. He also guided us in some cultural knowledge which helped so that we didn't goof in our manners with the locals!! We have visited twice since then and booked our next on the Zenith because it included Grenada. I expect that the island will have changed, but we can't wait to get back!! IMHO the Nutmeg Restaurant has the best Pumpkin soup on earth!!! The soup alone would bring me back!!! :cool:
Glad to hear you enjoyed Grenada and I hope your return won't leave you disappointed.

Jumbie, are there any Celebrity ships coming back to port yet?? We will be there mid-March, so I'm optimistic that we will be there. Are your classes returning to Grenada, or are you coming here??

After a brief scare earlier this week that the Constellation (which my g/f works on) would not be returning next week after a lot of evidence indicating that it would be, I've pretty much had it confirmed that they will be here next Wednesday, Jan 12.

Royal Caribbean's Empress of the Seas is also scheduled to be in port tomorrow (Sunday, 9th) and looks like they are sticking with this plan. Will have to wait and see for sure though.

Classes are fully resuming in Grenada. Many students have already returned this week.

On the flip side, I know a guy from my undergrad who went to the medical school in Grand Cayman and he says that they are continuing classes in Maine - where they were relocated to - for at least part of this upcoming semester.

Hi Jumbie

Reading this thread with interest as we will be back again on Granada

aboard P&O Oceana. This will be our sixth visit to your beautiful island.

Thanks for the "repeat business" :D

Can you tell me were the new berth is situated? To the right of left of the old one.

Umm, let's see. Exiting the old port, it would be on the left. Basically, if you walked around the Carenage (the harbour) to the opposite end you'd reach Sendall Tunnel.

The new port is on the other side of the tunnel.

Is it nearer of further to Grande Anse?

Not much further. Basically, if you're taking a water taxi, the ride might end being 45-60 seconds longer.

How is Grande Anse after the hurricane?

Great. Just missing some trees. I have some pictures in a thread in this forum. "Best Beach in Grenada" I think...

Is my friend who hires the deck chairs, a big guy who winters in Germany still around.

No idea. There a couple people renting out chairs, so maybe.

Yes the vendors are a bit in your face, but once they realise, I am a poor English guy they leave us alone.

Regards

Ray

lol

Again, they can be annoying but will leave you alone if you tell them you're not interested.

I've mentioned it in another thread a while back, and although I haven't in this one, denboy's suggestion to move a bit further up the beach is a great one.

I personally don't like the spot where they drop you guys off anyway. It's one of the worst on the beach in my opinion. However, for some reason during this rougher time of the year, the water tends to be more calm around this area.

Jumbie,

I just wanted to tell you that my family absolutely loved Grenada and were devastated to see what happened after the hurricane. I am so glad that cruise ships are once again returning. We learned so much about the island, I mean fascinating things like where loofahs come from and the nutmeg trees and the bananas and your history. We toured the spice plantation (wonderful), the Grand Etang Park (wow), stopped at the waterfall....

We went last year on the Connie and my 11 year old son still talks about Grenada. He did a report on it for school! He has begged us to return.

For those who want an incredible experience, book a private tour with Mandoo. His assistant, Alistair, took us all over the island. Each stop was breathtaking. Once you leave the port, it's another world. We called it the "edible" island. My son had his first taste of a real banana snipped from the tree!

And Grand Anse Beach is great. To cope with the vendors, you can rent a chair and the vendor will shoo everyone away. That's what we did. We ended our tour at the beach where we swam, relaxed and had fun just before returning to the ship.

I encourage everyone to explore the inner part of this island. Book a tour (even if it's a ship tour) and venture away from the port area. You will be amazed and have memories that will last a lifetime.

I tell everyone that Grenada is awesome!

Has anyone done this tour since the hurricane? It visits De La Grnade Industries, Laura Herb/spice garden , La Sagresse Farm, and Grenada sugar factory. What condition are these places in? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. P & W

Archived