single person room rate

ckr31

My Daughter is single in med school. she wants to take a cruise alone just to get away from the pressure of being school for so long. Is their anyway a single person can take a three or seven day cruise without paying for double occupancy for a room.

What is a single supplement I am not understanding it please explain

Penality for travelling solo.

Usually 150%/160% for an inside Cabin.

200% for an outside Cabin.

Have been able to get an outside, obstructed Cabin for 160%.

My Daughter is single in med school. she wants to take a cruise alone just to get away from the pressure of being school for so long. Is their anyway a single person can take a three or seven day cruise without paying for double occupancy for a room.
Your daughter would pay between 150% - 200% of the per-person rate, depending on the cabin category and cruise. There's no way around that unless she takes a friend to split the cost. Princess no longer has the single match program due to too many issues with it, i.e., people hoping not to be matched and having the cabin to themselves at the per-person rate, only to be actually matched with someone, causing them to whine and complain about how unfair Princess is. (Go figure. I've seen the posts on CC.)

Hotels do the same thing, they just word it differently. The usually charge for the room not the number of people in it. So it is $100 for one or two people. That's $50 per person double occupancy with a 200% single supplement. Rent a car, same thing.Why is this? Because you are getting the whole cabin, hotel room or car.

If you eliminate the supplement, then my wife and I will get two cabins. We wll have two bathrooms, two closets, etc.

Hotels do the same thing, they just word it differently. The usually charge for the room not the number of people in it. So it is $100 for one or two people. That's $50 per person double occupancy with a 200% single supplement. Rent a car, same thing.Why is this? Because you are getting the whole cabin, hotel room or car.

If you eliminate the supplement, then my wife and I will get two cabins. We wll have two bathrooms, two closets, etc.

Exactly, the most valuable/limited commodity on a cruise is space. The incremental cost of food and entertaiment is almost nil.

Unfortunately there is no way for a single to get around paying the 150 to 200% supplement to have a cabin all to themselves. She really need to work with a travel agency or travel company that can assist her finding the best cabin and price. Cruise lines do offer some special pricing and deals that can be very competitive for a solo cruisers especially in the off season and a reputable travel agent should be able to help her find those deals. If she doesn't mind sharing a cabin then maybe a singles group cruise might be an options. There are two companies that do single groups on various cruises throughout the year in either a solo share or single cabin. I've read the Carnival has cabins in Category 1A that are reasonably priced for a solo cruise. The best thing for her to do a define her budget and try to work with in. Good luck!

Archived