Cell Phone Usage onboard

Sharon in AZ

Speaking from recent experience, HAL has it's own carrier, "Cellular At Sea". While you are onboard, at sea, you will have THEIR coverage, which is expensive.

While in port you will have AT& T coverage...roaming charges may or may not be applicable depending on your contract. You should call AT&T, give them your itinerary and see where you will have roaming charges, if any.

While we were on board, we received one phone call and one text under the "Cellular At Sea" service. We were charged $2.49 for the call and 50 cents for the text message, which appeared on our AT&T Wireless bill.

All calls/text in port were no charge as per our plan with AT&T. EXCEPT we did not use it in Victoria, Canada because that would have been an international call.

Just to piggy-back off the the original quesiton. When you are in port, but still on the ship, is that using the "Cellular at Sea" connection, or would it be your regular provider? I am just curious as if I were to make a business call from my stateroom, when we are in one of the ports, what would I be charged?

Thanks so much for any info that can be given!

:) Sarah

Just to piggy-back off the the original quesiton. When you are in port, but still on the ship, is that using the "Cellular at Sea" connection, or would it be your regular provider? I am just curious as if I were to make a business call from my stateroom, when we are in one of the ports, what would I be charged?

Thanks so much for any info that can be given!

:) Sarah

If I recall correctly, the Cellular AT Sea was turned off once we were docked in port and our service was through our provider, AT&T. You'll know by looking at your phone. If you wanted to make your business call from your stateroom, just look at the display.

As I said, call your provider and make sure that your ports are within your service plan areas.

Within three nm of shore and/or where there is terrestrial-based provider, Cellular at Sea is to be turned off, so in theory, you should be routing your call with a land-based carrier whilst calling from the ship in port. If you have GSM phone, it is easy to confirm the roaming carrier name on the home screen of your phone prior to dialing out.

Scott.

Ooops Dandro, we were typing at the same time :-)

Thanks everyone, I thought the wording on HAL's website seemed vague and thought there had to be more to it than just roaming charges. I'm glad I asked before making alot of calls at sea. So, I will make sure we only use our cell phones in port.

Happy sailing!

Archived