Scopamine patch questions

Wanted to add my two cents to this discussion, as motion sickness is always an issue for my husband and me. I tried the scop patch several years ago before going out on a sailboat. I could not focus my eyes, or read anything, and in general had a very bad reaction. It can be very disorienting. Plus it did not even do the job - I had to lay flat on my back for the entire sailboat ride. So much for the patch.

We put our seabands on and leave them on for every cruise. They work for us. You have to be sure they are on the pressure points on the underside of your wrist. I do have ginger capsules as well, but this last cruise in Alaska the waters were so calm we really did not need anything. Also, the boat excursions we took were very calm as well. We do not take heli or flight excursions. I have heard that the electronic bands work the best, with the electrical stimulus to the pressure points.

I have used Bonine, and was not sleepy at all. The ads say that Bonine does not cause as much sleepiness as Dramamine. I imagine that alcohol use would increase whatever sleepiness someone feels.

We've witnessed several situations where the "patch" was used incorrectly and causes the wearer serious problems.

Most recently, I saw an elderly gentlemen with THREE patches applied to the ear. Not the back of the ear, but the edge of the ear itself!

Since the recommended dosage is 330 microgrammes per day, this poor soul was overdosing himself times Three!

Overdosing can cause very serious disorientation, and even applying a new patch before the effects of the one just prior has worn off can be dangerous. If possible, use something less intoxifying such as Bonine...

I used the scolpamine patch on my Alaska cruise last month and while I had some minor side effects, overall it was hugely helpful for me. I never got truly seasick, even when we were on a smaller boat in rough water and the one day the boat was rocky on the open seas. This was huge for me as I am a very seasick type person (in case my name didn't tip you off to that)!

I did feel some dizziness during the first hours of use but since I put it on half a day before the cruise, that was over before we got on board. And I didn't really put two and two together at the time but I had some trouble reading on board. I think it effected the focus of my eyes close up, if that makes sense. (At the time I thought it was just my aging eyes, but since it improved immediately after the cruise, I started to realize it was the patch.)

Overall, I was very happy with the patch and will use it if we cruise again.

My partner and I have had very good experiences with Scopace. There are (at least) two advantages over the scopolamine patch: First, Scopace takes effect much more quickly than the patch and then leaves the system much more quickly. Second, Scopace is available in doses that may be applied based on body weight. Thus, a small person would only take one tablet every 8 hours, while a heavier person (like me) would take 2.

On our trip to Antarctica a couple of years ago, Scopace was marvelous, as it allowed us only to take it a couple of hours before entering heavy seas and then stop taking it when the seas calmed. The side effects (primarily, dry mouth and mucous membranes) went away with a few hours of the 8-hour time window of the last dose we took.

As with all scopolamine drugs, it's good to have a saline nasal mist with you, along with sugar-free lozenges, to deal with the dry mouth and dry nose. We found that there was no problem whatever in further addressing dry mouth problems with liberal doses of single malt scotch and throat-soothing libations such as Grand Marnier, Sambuca, and Drambuie.

Here is the website for info to give your doctor:

http://www.motionsickness.net/versus.html

Finally, a huge advantage of Scopace over the patch is that you don't have to wear that hideous patch - definitely NOT a good fashion statement.

Cheers, Fred

My DH had bad problems with the scopolamine patch. I had to take it off of him and let him sleep it off. When he awoke, he had no memory of 3 days. I would suggest that you try the scopolamine patch for 2 days BEFORE you cruise - at home with people who trust you. Don't drive or do anything dangerous. Then take it off and wait a day - and see if it is ok for YOU.

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=scopolamine+patch&page=1&qsrc=0&ab=0&u=http%3A%2F%2Fhealth.yahoo.com%2Fdrug%2Fd00986a1%23d00986a1-sideeffects

Hi Rachel,

I bought Bonine for my sons. It says that one dose lasts for 24 hours. Do you think I should give it to them at night before bed? I plan on giving it to them every night. Makes sense to me...Thanks for your input![/quote

Bonine works fairly rapidly and, unlike the Scop patch, is effective after the person feels sea-sick. So I probably wouldn't give it to them every night unless you KNOW they are going to be seasick. If they get car sick easily, I would be more prone to just give it to them at bedtime.

My oldest son was terribly prone to carsickness as a child, so I would give it to him if the seas seemed rough. However, on calm seas, he was fine.

Thanks Rachel! My oldest son is prone to bus sickness and with a port intensive itinerary such as ours, I think the Bonine will come it handy. If he gets a little queasy on the bus, do you think it would be ok to give him another...even though he took one the night before? Would there be any benefit to the prescription Bonine?

Deb

I think that literature provides the best advice for warding off seasickness.

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker" - Ogden Nash

As to the best type of liquor then "Claret is for boys, port for men and brandy for heroes" - Dr Johnson.

Thanks Rachel! My oldest son is prone to bus sickness and with a port intensive itinerary such as ours, I think the Bonine will come it handy. If he gets a little queasy on the bus, do you think it would be ok to give him another...even though he took one the night before? Would there be any benefit to the prescription Bonine?

Deb

The prescription stuff is the same, just higher # of milligrams. It is safe to take up to 100 mg per day in divided doses. The most I would take at one dose is 50. (These are adult doses--I am assuming your son weighs over 100 lbs. If he is smaller than that, the dose would need to be adjusted down of course.)

If no one has already mentioned this, I would suggest trying a dose of any new medication, if possible, before leaving home. Not to see if it works, but to check out the side effects you may be prone to. I regretted taking an anti-seasickness pill offered by the onboard staff on a Windjammer cruise because I slept much longer than any seasickness would have bothered me.

Breezepark, that is an excellent idea - test that patch out first. I actually passed a rod to my DH with an 85 lb sailfish at the end of it because I was tired from the patch. I was on a private fishing boat with a doctor who gave the patch to me - she was also wearing one. I am a tad bit smaller frame that she was and both of us had completely different experiences. I also remember, in addition to being very sleepy, my eyesight went slightly fuzzy. I carry Bonine with me now and the last time I started feeling queasy, I just laid down.

• 1 year later...

How did your motion sickness meds work?

Heard so many horors about the patch that I'm nervous about using it. IF you read this, appreciate it if you respond directly to my email at barbara1973@hotmail.com. Also new to this board and keep losing them! Thanks!

Well, yes, instructions say that alcohol effects are enhanced; doc said it would just make me groggy. I wasn't planning on revisiting my college days, but a drink or so a day would be nice . . .

YES - I do have the ginger pills, and will be taking them as well.

I am actually most concerned with the excursions I'll be taking - helicopter, floatplane, catamaran, etc. Of course, our cabin is on Deck 11, so I'll just hope it doesn't get choppy :D

I may end up pulling it off post helicopter ride & rely on the psi bands, ginger, and bonine for the rest. Though I think it takes 24 hrs. to leave your system.

Good info everyone, thank you so much!!

Novice Cruiser

Sorry I didn’t see your message until today, but maybe this might help someone else.

You start using the patch BEFORE you get on board. The patch states that it lasts 3 days, it didn’t for me, nor a few others on my cruise - it only lasted 2 days. So every 2 days I did change it.

But even with in on - there were some occasions when I did feel whoosy and I did ADD meclizine which is Antivert - and also the same as Bonine.

I also drank - not alot but maybe just a gin and tonic or wine with dinner. The only time I felt an intensity was on a Martini night - when I had two Martini’s - I was fine but didn’t really remember the night. So I stick to one martini.

I have the Scopace pills. Got them from my doctor, after doing the research on them. Take them when needed, dose lasts for 4-6 hours, depending on person. Keep some Ginger handy if needed. It works fine, and no booze reaction or sleepiness that I have noticed. Don't need them much but it's nice to know they are with us.

We were just on the Navigator. The first couple of nights were wobbly to put it mildly. Quite a few passengers were down. We used Bonine before we left port. We had this tendency for great mid-late afternoon naps while on the ship. Hm... Maybe it wasn't the sea air and comfy beds after all.

We had the patches along for the ride but never felt the need.

I have personally known many people who have used the patch with great success and always observe lots of folks wearing them on board.

One caveat.....apply the patch, keeping your fingers away from the medication portion as much as possible........then wash your hands very thoroughly. This helps to reduce any eye contamination w. medication which can result in an enlarged pupil or blurred vision.

My husband gets seasick very easily and wore the Transderm Scop behind his ear while on our Alaska trip last summer. Our first port was Sitka and he felt so bad (no nausea tho', just fever and a very weird feeling) that he couldn't even get off the ship. We ended up going to the ship dr. that evening. He told my husband that because of all the horrible side effects, he won't even prescribe it for any of the crew!!!! The next day after having been taken off the patch by the dr., he was fine. So everyone's tolerance is different to the drug. Good luck and I hope no one goes thru what he did!!

I always get seasick. Bomine does nothing for me. I have tried the wrist bands and they help somewhat but not perfectly. Then I tried the patch for the first time (last August, Alaska cruise on Mariner) and I did not get sick at all. I noticed no difference when drinking, but I do not drink much. We took helicopter rides, float plane rides and boat rides, and with the patch I did not get sick at all. I ordinarily could not do that without getting VERY sick. I am using the patch again for my upcoming cruise.

I have the Scopace pills. Got them from my doctor, after doing the research on them. Take them when needed, dose lasts for 4-6 hours, depending on person. Keep some Ginger handy if needed. It works fine, and no booze reaction or sleepiness that I have noticed. Don't need them much but it's nice to know they are with us.

I never heard of Scopace pills, I will definitely speak with my doctor about them. I do have the ginger but was concerned I would need something stronger, but did not want to experience this cruise groggy and would like to drink!!

Archived