Jersey City

How safe is Jersey City? How close is Jersey City to Cape Liberty? Can you walk to restaurants for dinner?

JC is probably 10 15 minutes away from Cape Liberty and in terms of safety it depends on what area you stay near Pavonia Newport area is a safe area a lot cafes, bars, and restaurants in the area.

Jersey City is one of the largest cities in New Jersey, and is quite varied from one part to another. Most visitors to Jersey City go there to conduct business at Exchange Place, to shop at Newport Center, or to stay in one of the hotels along the waterfront. All three of these activities are in close proximity to one another and are in a relatively safe part of Jersey City. There are also several luxury apartment buildings here. While you'll want to keep your street smarts with you as you would in any urban area, you most likely will not encounter any uncomfortable situations.

There are restaurants in this area of Jersey City, though in many respects it is like Wall Street in that there is a significant decline in activity at night and on weekends. You will not have the same number of choices as in Manhattan, but for a short stay you should find enough to satisfy. Generally these places are within a comfortable walking distance. In addition, this part of Jersey City is very close to Hoboken, where there are many more restaurants from which to choose. To get to Hoboken just take the PATH or light rail rail train northward (it is only 5 minutes or so on either train). While you could walk to Hoboken as well, the route is somewhat round-about and industrial in nature.

Just south of Jersey City is the City of Bayonne, in which you'll find the Cape Liberty Cruise Port. The waterfront hotels in Jersey City are the closest respectable lodgings to the port, though there is some distance to travel (about 8 miles). You can take public transport most of the way (light rail train from Jersey City to 34th Street in Bayonne), but you'll need a taxi for the last 2 miles of the journey.

We are cruising out of Bayonne next January on the Explorer and are debating between staying at Country Inn & Suites in Elizabeth/Bayonne area or at the Doubletree in Jersey City. We are coming into NJ two days before our cruise and want to spend one full day seeing the sites in NYC. I like that the Doubletree is within walking distance to the PATH train system, but the hotel is approx. $40 more expensive per night (incl parking).

Is it worth the extra $$ for the convience of the Doubletree in Jersey City versus Country Inn and Suite in Elizabeth??

Thanks for your helps.

Is the $40/night strictly the difference in price of the two hotels? Country Inns will give you breakfast. How were you planning to go from Country Inns to New York? That will cost you $5-$15/pp each way, whereas Path is $1.75/pp each way. IMO if your purpose is to sightsee in NY, then you should stay as close to NY as you can.

We are cruising out of Bayonne next January on the Explorer and are debating between staying at Country Inn & Suites in Elizabeth/Bayonne area or at the Doubletree in Jersey City. We are coming into NJ two days before our cruise and want to spend one full day seeing the sites in NYC. I like that the Doubletree is within walking distance to the PATH train system, but the hotel is approx. $40 more expensive per night (incl parking).

Is it worth the extra $$ for the convience of the Doubletree in Jersey City versus Country Inn and Suite in Elizabeth??

Thanks for your helps.

There are only 3 3.5* or above hotels in Jersey City/Hoboken on Priceline or Hotwire-Hyatt, Westin or the W (which is NOT a likely hotel but is brand new and fantastic, so you would be VERY lucky if you got it). Use Priceline or Hotwire and you are guaranteed to get these hotels if you bid 3.5* and above and the price should be no more than $125.00 per night. Doubletree is only a 3* hotel on both booking sites. Hyatt Jersey City has been going as low as $75.00 per night for a simply fantastic hotel. See this link for prices that have recently been bid on Priceline-just gives you an idea-no guarantees that your dates have such a low price, but you should be able to get a 4* Jersey City hotel for less than $125.00.

http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/forums/69/t/New-York-Airports-JFK-LGA-EWR-including-adjacent-bidding-zon.html

Any of the 3* and up hotels in Jersey City/Hoboken are within a short distance to PATH.

You will have much more trouble getting to NYC staying at the Country Inn and Suites-taxi to NJ Penn Station + PATH. IF you can get a Priceline or Hotwire hotel in Jersey City, I know you will have an easier time sightseeing in NYC. PATH is right out the door of these hotels.

Is the $40/night strictly the difference in price of the two hotels? Country Inns will give you breakfast. How were you planning to go from Country Inns to New York? That will cost you $5-$15/pp each way, whereas Path is $1.75/pp each way. IMO if your purpose is to sightsee in NY, then you should stay as close to NY as you can.

The price difference per night is about $20/night, plus i understand that parking at Doubletree is approx. $20/night and parking at Country Inns is free.

We are driving into NJ so we had planned on driving from Country Inns to a parking lot close to the PATH station to get to NY. So we would of had to pay at least $20 to park. I see the advantage at Doubletree is being able to park our car when we arrive two days before we cruise and then get around by foot and train. And then drive to the port on the day of the cruise. I was wondering if everyone felt that Jersey City is a better option and worth the extra $$ for those doing NYC sightseeing?

Thanks again.

IMO it's worth it. The tolls from Elizabeth to Jersey City would be $4.60 or $5.20 RT. You are doing this on a weekday, so the aggravation level would be much higher. If you go in after rush hour, then you might find that the parking situation is tight. Much better to stash your car in one place for two days and take the easy public transportation.

You will have much more flexibility staying by a Path station. If you go into NY and wander around for a while and get tired, you can always come back to the hotel for a pit stop just like you could if you were staying in Manhattan. In the evening Pavonia to Greenwich Village is only a 12 minute train ride or 15 minutes to 33rd St, so you are not limited to the restaurants and activities by the hotel.

The price difference per night is about $20/night, plus I understand that parking at Doubletree is approx. $20/night and parking at Country Inns is free.

We are driving into NJ so we had planned on driving from Country Inns to a parking lot close to the PATH station to get to NY. So we would of had to pay at least $20 to park. I see the advantage at Doubletree is being able to park our car when we arrive two days before we cruise and then get around by foot and train. And then drive to the port on the day of the cruise. I was wondering if everyone felt that Jersey City is a better option and worth the extra $$ for those doing NYC sightseeing?

You seem to have accounted for most all of the various expenses in analyzing the two options. I think the decision hinges primarily on two factors (1) the environment of the hotel location and (2) convenience to Manhattan.

The Doubletree is just off the waterfront and is in an area that is very pedestrian friendly. It is a busy financial center during the day, and there are a small number of restaurants to which you can walk. The waterfront makes for a pleasant stroll. The PATH train to New York is nearby, and trains operate frequently.

The Country Inn is in a former industrial area, now partially re-invented as a center for big box retailing and an outlet mall. It is somewhat isolated geographically, and is largely auto oriented with only limited pedestrian facilities. Nonetheless, it is near to the Jersey Gardens outlet mall where there are some restaurants and an express bus to New York (were you to stay here you should consider whether to drive to Jersey City for the PATH train--paying for parking and tolls--or walk over to Jersey Gardens for the express bus). It is unlikely that you will find the area conducive to strolling.

The PATH train fare between Jersey City and New York (or, for that matter, between any two points on the PATH system) is $1.75. Travel time is 5 to 15 minutes, depending on exact origin and destination stations. Get the train schedule here. www.pathrail.com

The New Jersey Transit fare between Jersey Gardens and New York is $5.25. Travel time is 35 to 40 minutes. Get the bus schedule here. www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/Tc1111.pdf

Skeetercat - on another post you said you were from Ontario near Toronto and are coming down in January two days early to ensure you get here on time. It will be cold in January and the weather could be bad, so you need to consider whether you would want to stand outside waiting for a bus or be trying to drive in the snow to and from the Path station.

Thanks for all of your advise. Yes, we are coming in from Ontario and the thoughts of driving in snow or waiting for a bus has crossed our minds. I much prefer a brisk 5 minute walk to the PATH station.

We have decided on the Doubletree and the little extra $$ will be so worth the convenience and the overall better location.

Thanks again for all of your advise.

We are thinking of Hyatt Jersey City as we're flying into Newark and

sailing from Bayonne.

Is there PATH or other public transport from Newark to near Hyatt Jersey City? Is there a PATH (or other) to take into Manhattan for the day?

Alternatively, what would a cab fare be like from Newark to Hyatt? And, from Hyatt to the pier at Bayonne?

We are thinking of Hyatt Jersey City as we're flying into Newark and

sailing from Bayonne.

Is there PATH or other public transport from Newark to near Hyatt Jersey City? Is there a PATH (or other) to take into Manhattan for the day?

Alternatively, what would a cab fare be like from Newark to Hyatt? And, from Hyatt to the pier at Bayonne?

to get the PATH near EWR you need to get a cab to Newark Penn station....it stops about a block or so from the Hyatt....the trains can get crowded. Fare is 1.75 and sometimes the cash-taking machines are not working! (there is a hotel opposite Newark Penn but they are bu** busters about taking people to the "hotel" who are not "guests"...

i actually tried taking it this weekend for legitimate hilton business...(was considering booking a group of rooms for some colleagues...and i wanted to tour the place...), and the driver would NOT let me go over in the van with 2 other guests...he was SUPER nasty. Soo.....i bought a train ticket and went over...told his boss, who told me that people do abuse the shuttle....but was very nice and drove me back to my hotel......[but the group of rooms is going elsewhere!]

and yes the PATH goes right into NYC......

www.panynj.com

That's a good station because you can get both the 33rd St and the World Trade Center Path without transferring during the week.

i took 3 different PATH trains to get from Nwk Penn to Hoboken! yikes.

if you ever watched "cake boss" on TLC on monday nights...I went to that bakery! holy cow...the stuff was GREAT! cannoil, cupcakes, cream puffs....place was packed too.....

We are thinking of Hyatt Jersey City as we're flying into Newark and sailing from Bayonne.

It is (at least) a two-step journey between Newark Airport and the Hyatt in Jersey City. First you'll need to get from the airport to Newark Penn Station; next you'll take the PATH train from Penn Station to Jersey City.

From the airport there are at least two ways to get to Newark Penn Station. Easiest is to board a northbound New Jersey Transit no. 62 bus (marked "Newark Penn Station") at any one of the bus stops near each of the three passenger terminals. You'll $1.35 exact fare on this bus. The rule is that passengers are limited to 2 pieces of luggage, each no larger than 22 x 16 x 8 (but I've never seen a bus driver equipped with a tape measure!). Another way is to board the AirTrain monorail at any of the three passenger terminals, then transfer to a New Jersey Transit commuter train at the airport railroad station. Here you'll need $7.75 for the fare. Whether you choose to ride the bus or the train the journey will take about 20 minutes. Of course, you could also use a taxi.

Once at Penn Station you'll want to board a PATH train on Track 1. You'll need $1.75 for the fare. Trains go directly from Newark Penn Station to Exchange Place in Jersey City; this trip takes about 15 minutes. The Hyatt is directly above the Exchange Place station.

While you're at the Hyatt you can take the PATH train into Manhattan, 24 hours a day. Trains go non-stop from Exchange Place to World Trade Center in lower Manhattan. You can also travel to midtown Manhattan on the PATH train, but in that case you'll take to take a train from Exchange Place *away* from Manhattan one stop to Grove Street, then reverse direction and get a 33rd Street train from Grove Street. Of course, you can always ride the New York City subway between lower Manhattan and midtown Manhattan (though it will cost you an additional $2.25; no free transfer to or from the PATH trains).

Archived