anytime dining

punkybett

This is an interesting option and we are discussing it.

For people who like to dine at the late seating, do you think there would be much chance of a wait for a table after 8 pm?

Also, the pagers they give you if you do have a wait - how far from the dining room do they reach? Can we go back to the cabin or do we need to stay close to the dining room for them to work?

We did this on the Legend last Oct and will do it again on the Dream come Jan. We normally eat late seating and we showed up about 815 every evening. We even got the same waiter nearly every night. You can't do both. We booked late for the Legend and that is what we got but for the Dream it is what we asked for. I think you need to ask for it. We never waited more than a few minutes/

Lexi

I didn't see anything about reservations. Can you make reservations for the open seating?

No, my understanding is that you just show up at anytime during the dinner hours and you can dine at the next available table. I guess if you like to dine during populr hours there could be a wait.

If you want a reserved time, you can choose one of the regular seatings. There is never a wait for a table in that case.

Thanks for the info. On other cruiselines, you can call each morning and make a reservation so you are not waiting. Of course, the most popular times cannot be reserved in advance. I just thought I would check.

NCL is that way, with the popular freestyle concept. Also, reservations can be made for the supper club on Carnival. For the main dining room, reservations are not taken (on Carnival.)

Would I be correct in assuming that formal nights are for both the assigned and anytime dinings? The only thing that has changed really is the time, right? Same food, same atmosphere, just assigned and not assigned.

I didn't see anything about reservations. Can you make reservations for the open seating?

Thanks

Open seating allows the flexibility to dine at the time that best fits yoru schedule. Waits are rare and usually only a few minutes. If you have to wait you are provided a pager and are notified when your table is available.

You have the option of requesting the same wait staff each night.

Reservations are accepted and are encouraged for tables of six or more.

If you intend to eat every night at almost the same time as one of the traditional seatings you should probably just take traditional.

Would I be correct in assuming that formal nights are for both the assigned and anytime dinings? The only thing that has changed really is the time, right? Same food, same atmosphere, just assigned and not assigned.

This is a correct assumption, with one minor exception that being if you are lucky you get to miss the circus which destroys any semblance of formality that might have ever reigned in the dining room.

Open seating allows the flexibility to dine at the time that best fits yoru schedule. Waits are rare and usually only a few minutes. If you have to wait you are provided a pager and are notified when your table is available.

You have the option of requesting the same wait staff each night.

Reservations are accepted and are encouraged for tables of six or more.

If you intend to eat every night at almost the same time as one of the traditional seatings you should probably just take traditional.

This is a correct assumption, with one minor exception that being if you are lucky you get to miss the circus which destroys any semblance of formality that might have ever reigned in the dining room.

Circus? Could you elaborate? Also...we want to celebrate two special events while on board...an anniversary and a graduation. If I order two cakes (an anniversary and a "congratulations" cake) will they still bring to table and sing....although I don't know what they'd sing for anniversary and graduation, lol!

Circus? Could you elaborate? Also...we want to celebrate two special events while on board...an anniversary and a graduation. If I order two cakes (an anniversary and a "congratulations" cake) will they still bring to table and sing....although I don't know what they'd sing for anniversary and graduation, lol!

IMO the singing and dancing by the waiters and the shouting by the maitr'd ruin the atmosphere in the dining ruin, thus my reference to the circus.

I am not talking about singing for a BD or anniversary, but the conga lines, etc.

Some people love it, others hate. I am in the hate it category.

IMO the singing and dancing by the waiters and the shouting by the maitr'd ruin the atmosphere in the dining ruin, thus my reference to the circus.

I am not talking about singing for a BD or anniversary, but the conga lines, etc.

Some people love it, others hate. I am in the hate it category.

Hmmm, my only prior cruise experience is with RCCL. The only "circus" I recall was one night they had the crew sing something...I can't remember what and then another night they had the kids come out as pirates and tell this pirate story....but that was soooo cute! Other than that the evenings were pretty peaceful. Sounds like Anytime Dining is the way to go for us. Thanks for the input!

If it is your first cruise, or first Carnival cruise, the show the wait staff puts on may be entertaining.

After you have seen it once or twice, it's simply annoying.

I wish Carnival would take the hint and discontinue the practice. The passengers and wait staff alike would be glad.

I've only been on one other cruise so I don't know a lot, however we did the anytime dining and it worked out great. I am booked on the Valor 11/1/2009 and have unassigned dining. This just gives my wife and I the option of eating at different times through out the cruise.

We have had anytime dining on our last 2 cruises. Loved it. The first time the service was a little lacking. But they seem to have got it worked out. We ate at prime time. 6:30 to 8:00 and never had to wait longer than 15 minutes and that was because we requested a table for 2 on the railing.

Just an FYI:

I changed from late seating to anytime dining yesterday. I am Platinum and it showed up waitlisted...this morning it changed to confirmed. My TA is booked on my cruise and she is not Platinum...she changed from late to anytime yesterday and still is waitlisted. I appreciated all the perks that Platinum holds on Carnival.

Archived