Non-mystery cruise fiction

taffy12

I don't know why every book set on a cruise ship has to be mystery! I'm not a fan... I have a lot of cruise-related non-fiction books, but I'd love to read some more fiction! The only non-mystery I know of right now is the teen book Caribbean Cruising. Is there anything else? Any suggestions?

While they aren't cruise related, the Stephanie Plum numbers series by Janet Evanovich are hilarious! Just the type of quick read for sitting poolside. One word of caution though - you will be rolling on the floor, busting a gut laughing out loud at various points so if you would be bothered by people looking at you wondering what you are up to, then read these books in the privacy of your cabin.:D

Just finished A DEADLY SILVER SEA by Bob Morris. " A Caribbean cruise gone horribly wrong". The deluxe ship is hijacked by terrorists and crew. A very good read!! (The author sailed on Silversea and Seaborn to prepare for story and get it right)

Also recommended is CRUISE CONFIDENTIAL - A HIT BELOW THE WATERLINE by Brian Burns. All about crew and what is really going on. I haven't read it yet, but intend to.

While they aren't cruise related, the Stephanie Plum numbers series by Janet Evanovich are hilarious! Just the type of quick read for sitting poolside. One word of caution though - you will be rolling on the floor, busting a gut laughing out loud at various points so if you would be bothered by people looking at you wondering what you are up to, then read these books in the privacy of your cabin.:D

You are so right about these novels! I also laugh out loud. (DH thinks I'm nuts!!) Especially when grandma is involved!! She paints a perfect picture in your mind! The Sue Grafton initial books (ie: A is for Alibi) are also great, but ARE mysteries. A cruise is perfect for this kind of light fare!!

Just finished A DEADLY SILVER SEA by Bob Morris. " A Caribbean cruise gone horribly wrong". The deluxe ship is hijacked by terrorists and crew. A very good read!! (The author sailed on Silversea and Seaborn to prepare for story and get it right)

I just found this author and read his first Zack Chasteen book "Bahamarama". Really enjoyed it and look forward to his other books. Glad to hear you enjoyed his latest.

I have to agree also about Skinny Dip by Carl Hiassan. Good book and you see it recommended on CC alot. Janet Evanovich's books are also lots of fun.

I just found this author and read his first Zack Chasteen book "Bahamarama". Really enjoyed it and look forward to his other books. Glad to hear you enjoyed his latest.

I have to agree also about Skinny Dip by Carl Hiassan. Good book and you see it recommended on CC alot. Janet Evanovich's books are also lots of fun.

This was the first time I had read his books, but I'm going to go for the Bahamarama next - he's a hoot!!!

this may be a bit off target and i can't remember exact titles but in my scifi reading teenage years there seemed to always be space freighters, space cruise ships, space pirates on sailing ships riding the solar winds, etc...

I've got one in the works that will hopefully be fun ... ;) ... and by "works" I mean writing, unfortunately not shopped to a publisher yet.

Well hurry it up!!!:D:D My cruise is in August!!!

Cruise Crazy: The Cruise Addict's Survival Guide

by Bob Mick (Author)

Cruise Confidential: A Hit Below the Waterline: Where the Crew Lives, Eats, Wars, and Parties. One Crazy Year Working on Cruise Ships (Travelers' Tales) (Paperback)

by Brian David Bruns (Author)

The Captain's Log (Paperback)

by Hans Mateboer (Author)

Several of Clive Cussler's novels involve cruise ships....such as

(beginning with) Raise the Titanic

Valhalla Rising

Polar Shift

Plague Ship

but here's a suggestion ..... jump tracks and read nautical 'faction' from the time of Nelson

I'd recommend

Mr Midshipman Hornblower, C.S Forrester

or perhaps

Master and Commander, Patrick O'Brian

either book will open you to a series that seems very much at home while cruising.

Others to consider

Richard Woodman's Nathaniel Drinkwater series

Alexander Kent's Bolitho series

Dudley Pope's Ramage series

{quiz question - some of these authors are pen names for the same person ... can you match them up?}

Archived