Which looks better?

elycelynne

I'm debating between the following two tours, both of which are from Holland America:

Highlights of Curacao and Folkloric Show

Dutch influence is ever-present in Curacao. Your first stop is at the Curacao Museum, with old-world, authentic furnishings in a 19th-century military hospital. Your guide will play some songs on the Carillon (the largest organ), then visit the gallery to see the Snip--the first plane that crossed from Europe to the New World. By coach, view the lovely capital of Willemstad, crossing the Queen Juliana Bridge at 200 feet above sea level. Watch for the Franklin Roosevelt House and the American Consulate. Next you’ll visit the Distillery of Chobolobo, where the world-famous Blue Curacao liqueur is still made by hand according to an ancient recipe based on the peels of the orange brought by the Spaniards in the 15th century. Finally, enjoy a charming folkloric show, where dancers demonstrate the Tumba--the rhythmic dance of the island. A brief “workshop” is included! Dutch influence is ever-present in Curacao. Your first stop is at the Curacao Museum, with old-world, authentic furnishings in a 19th-century military hospital. Your guide will play some songs on the Carillon (the largest organ), then visit the gallery to see the Snip--the first plane that crossed from Europe to the New World. By coach, view the lovely capital of Willemstad, crossing the Queen Juliana Bridge at 200 feet above sea level. Watch for the Franklin Roosevelt House and the American Consulate. Next you’ll visit the Distillery of Chobolobo, where the world-famous Blue Curacao liqueur is still made by hand according to an ancient recipe based on the peels of the orange brought by the Spaniards in the 15th century. Finally, enjoy a charming folkloric show, where dancers demonstrate the Tumba--the rhythmic dance of the island. A brief “workshop” is included!

Curacao Country Drive

Explore the northwestern part of the island on this scenic excursion. Your first stop is at a former slave hut--now a museum displaying interesting objects used by the island’s African population. Continue to the impressive caves of Boka Tabla, located near the northernmost point of the island. You’ll see how the powerful Caribbean Sea created a natural bridge here. On the west side of the island, you’ll discover a typical fishing village. Your guide points out how the locals used to live in this area. Don’t miss the statue that is said to protect the fisherman, located in front of the Westpoint Church. Next, travel to Knip Beach, one of the Caribbean’s finest strands, designated a natural swimming pool by UNESCO in 1973. The hilly landscape around this area is indicative of Curacao’s volcanic origins. Returning to the ship, you will pass by the salt flats of St. Willibrordus and see the multitude of flamingoes that have claimed this territory as their own. Your guide will also point out the home of Jan Kok. Local legend tells of a very handsome Dutchman who conquered the heart of many a Curacao damsel.

So which would you choose? Or is there some alternative "see it all" independent tour that you'd recommend?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi- Have spent lots of time in Curacao. We did part of the first excursion a few years ago (we went to Jan Thiel instead of the folklore show.) If you have never been to Curacao before- this is a good choice. You get a good tour of the Willemstad area and the Eastern part of the island.

If you have been to Curacao and like the wilder scenery, the second tour is good.

When we go to Curacao, we always spend part of the day in Willemstad as there is so much to see and do there.

Are you going on the Westerdam? We went to Aruba and Curacao on the Westerdam last year. Any questions?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your response! I have been to Curacao before, but it was so long ago (30+ years) that the only thing I remember is that it's very colorful and picturesque. After much help from others on this particular forum I even decided on which side of the ship to book my cabin for the most scenic view upon arrival (picky, I know -- what can I say)? :D

Anyway, I can't think of any specific questions about this Westerdam cruise. I do know that it's been a LONG time since my last cruise, so I'll probably encounter lots of surprises!

• 1 month later...

Hi, I've never been to Curacao. But reading elycelynne description of the two tours the second one sounds really nice. Does it happen to say how long that tour is? And do you happen to know if one can book that tour outside of the cruise ship?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Thanks for your response! I have been to Curacao before, but it was so long ago (30+ years) that the only thing I remember is that it's very colorful and picturesque. After much help from others on this particular forum I even decided on which side of the ship to book my cabin for the most scenic view upon arrival (picky, I know -- what can I say)? :D

Anyway, I can't think of any specific questions about this Westerdam cruise. I do know that it's been a LONG time since my last cruise, so I'll probably encounter lots of surprises!

Just wondering which side of the ship you chose on the Westerdam.

I'm just wondering if you have looked into a private tour by Curacao Actief. They've had many terrific reviews.

We just booked with them today for the Beach Tour, but there are several other options. They will customize a tour for you also!

I actually spoke with someone from their office today. What excellent customer service! And the prices are very reasonable!

Just Google to find their website. They responded back to me via email within one day!!

Enjoy.;)

Karen in Kentucky

It didn't even occur to me to look for new posts from this thread. Anyway, after much help from some nice people in this forum it was determined that the Westerdam would be docked at the pier that isn't the megapier (a larger Royal Caribbean ship is also in port that day) and that booking a starboard cabin would provide me with the best scenic view of Willemstad. So apparently there's no consistent answer for this -- it all depends on what pier the ship will be using. (Back when I cruised approximately 30 years ago there was no megapier in Curacao -- just "a pier".)

I think the tour duration is around 3 hours. It's a Holland America tour, so it's only available through the cruiseline.

I haven't checked out Curacao Actief, but will do so and see if there's anything that catches my eye. I'm sailing solo, so I'm pretty sure they won't be customizing a tour for me! :D

(By the way, lillulu, I like your screen name. My older sister's friends used to call me "Little Lulu" back when I was a child. I don't know if it was because I was small with brown eyes or because I was always getting into mischief.)

I was called that as a nick name as a kid. It was because I was always in and out of trouble but mostly always in. So I pretty much was just like her and the name stuck. I use to watch that cartoon as a kid.

Shows my age doesn't it LOL

Thanks for the other information. I have been surfing and surfing to find things to do there. I think I am about done with all the surfing I can for Aruba. Now its a matter of how much I want to spend. It's expensive for tours. IMO

I'm just wondering if you have looked into a private tour by Curacao Actief. They've had many terrific reviews.

We just booked with them today for the Beach Tour, but there are several other options. They will customize a tour for you also!

I actually spoke with someone from their office today. What excellent customer service! And the prices are very reasonable!

Just Google to find their website. They responded back to me via email within one day!!

Enjoy.;)

Karen in Kentucky

Hi Karen,

I contacted Actief for one of their private tours. I asked for the same tour the cruise ship is offering above. They quoted me $500.00 for 4 :eek:. I decided wow the ship is wayyy cheaper. So there are a bunch of other passengers from the ship. I just can't justify paying $304.00 more because it is private.

Just thought I would let you know how much they charge now for that particular tour. Incase you or someone else was interested.

I personally love the second option.

The countryside there is very unique and Knip Beach is awesome. (Will the tour let you swim there? at least let you get your feet wet? ) It is gorgeous!

Boca Tabla is very cool too...

The flamingos are beautiful... have a zoom lense handy on your camera.

You will also get a real feel for the history of the island (slavery aspect) and the way people live in the bandabou today.

If you love nature, the second option is the way to go. :)

Archived