Anyone have rain in Alaska?

acctgtogo

Ok, I'm jealous. We took a cruisetour from June 20 - July 4. We had heavy rain on the 21st in Anchorage (wind was blowing so hard the rain was coming down sideways), heavy rain on the 24th in Denali (had our flightseeing tour cancelled due to snow on the mountain) and had light rain off and on (although it did not really ruin anything) on several other days the first week thru the 25th of June - after that it was sunny the entire tme - not even any mist and Misty Fjords.

Did anyone else have rain? From reading everyone's adventures, it seems like no one else had rain. And don't get me wrong - we expected to have rain and were prepared as it is Alaska - and we had the greatest time - Alaska is wonderful. But I was just curious if we hit the only rainy time so far this season.

Our cruise was May 23-30 out of Seattle. We had rain in Skagway, although we spent much of our time in the Yukon and it didn't rain there. It also drizzzled the day we were in Tracy Arm. I saw the SUN in Ketchikan for the first time in 3 cruises, although it clouded over by mid-morning. (We did a Misty Fjords flight on our first Alaska cruise, but it was too "misty" to go all the way in.) Our best weather was in Seattle before and after the cruise.

The cruise immediately after ours not only had sunny skies, but temps in the 70's in the ports.

We had some bad days, but we expected that, so we were ok with it and still had a fabulous time. It just seemed that no one else had mentioned rain, so I wondered if there were so few days with rain - and we happened to hit them.

I sailed May 30-June 6, 6 full days of sun and the last sea day, overcast- no rain. Was exceptional weather.

Several years ago, I sailed the opposite- 6 days of rain. I've had everything else in between- snow storm, fires etc etc etc. in my 26 Alaska trips!

I am in Fairbanks leaving tomorrow.

I agree with Cardbucfan - it is almost too warm. No rain for 15 days we have been on the cruise and land tour. But, with no rain they are having a problem with air quality because of the fires that are burning here. Alaska is fantastic and our land tour guide Jennifer was the best!

It rained in Ketchikan on June 27. Most excursions were canceled due to wind and high waves, which was funny, because right before we left I read here that Ketchikan excursions are rarely canceled!

My May 23-30 cruise from Vancouver experienced quite a bit of rain. Day 1, inside passage, it was gorgeous with blue skies. Day 2, Tracy Arm, was a beautiful morning but by the tme we got to Juneau it was very overcast and threatening rain...didn't happen, though. Day 3, Skagway, it rained all day long but I still went on both of my excursions - helicopter and walk around on a glacier then the train trip...both were fantastic. Day 4, Glacier Bay, rained all day and was so cloudy I could barely see the mountains. That was very disappointing because I didn't get to experience this part of the trip. In fact, I spent the whole day in my cabin watching what sights I could see from the windows to my balcony. Day 5, Ketchikan, very overcast until the end of my Misty Fjords excursion on Island Wings. Then the rain started and didn't stop. Day 6, inside passage, rained really hard all day. Again, I stayed in my cabin watching movies all day while the rain pelted on my balcony. I was glad I got to experience this lovely part of the cruise on the way out because the viewing was not there on the way back.

The rain didn't spoil the beauty that is Alaska nor did it ruin my trip. I had a fabulous time and can't wait to go back again and again and again.

Diane

We got to Anchorage on 6/25 and the sun was blazing. We spent the next four days in McKinley and Denali. It rained 20 minutes during supper at the Salmon Bake in Denali. We got to the boat on 6/30 and got off 7/6 and never saw rain again. Our weather was spectacular with temps in the 70's in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. We were prepared for rain, but didn't use our gear once. Alaska is amazing. Hope your weather matches ours.

We were in Alaska from June 24 - July 8th. The only day we had any rain was on the last day sailing into Vancouver on the 7th-8th. In every port we were told how extraordinary the weather was. Very warm everyday.

K.

We are in Anchorage today, leaving tomorrow for a Southbound Cruise aboard the Princess Sapphire. We flew in Monday to Fairbanks and the weather was beautiful. On Tuesday, the wind changed directions and there was smoke from the fires, but still hot. On Wednesday in Denali...rain and cold. Yesterday it was still cool, but no rain. Very overcast. This morning I am looking out my window in Anchorage to sun breaking through the clouds. The local forcast here says cloudy all day, high of 68 with 20% chance of rain.

If you are flying into Fairbanks from Anchorage aboard Alaskan Air and it is clear, you are in for a treat. This is the picture I got when our pilot took us right by Denali and dipped the wings of the plane!!!

DSC01985.jpg.063a61c4e2a726e650d7aeee2adbc7fc.jpg

Oh, and one of the reasons that I asked about the weather was that all of our guides were telling us how nice it had been weather wise - but when our TA asked about the weather on our trip and I told her we had a few days of heavy rain, she told me that the two weeks before we went had terrible weather. I thought that was odd as our guides had told us how nice it had been, and I had not read anything about bad weather before leaving. Guess she just wanted us to think that we were lucky we went when we did - and we were as we saw so much - and the wildlife sightings on our TWT were wonderful - absolutely no complaints there. Really, the only thing that could have been better was if we would have been able to take our flightseeing tour with glacier landing at Denali. That was really the only thing we didn't get to do while we were there.

In three weeks, we had drizzle and fog part of the day June 14 in Denali, and rain June 22 on the ferry from Juneau to Skagway. Otherwise we were so lucky to have sun or part sun. I keep thinking of how unlucky those folks were all last summer.

We arrived in Anchorage on July 2nd and are disembarking in Whittier in the morning July 18th. Not one day of rain!:) Had a little bit of fog and our trip has been amazing. The first week we were able to spend many hours on our balcony and I ran out of short sleeve shirts and had to do laundry! :D

Archived