Hiltner & Paris travelers

harrtchr

I have been watching your posts for quite awhile now as I have pre-planned many excursions over the past 10 years and have found your advice, and those like you who have a wealth of knowledge, very helpful.

Don't pay no mind to those who "flame" you. There are always whiners and naysayers who are afraid to leave their comfort zone. I must admit that the very first time I booked excursions on my own in Europe, I was a bit nervous, not knowing the language or any idea as to what to expect. But, it all worked out and there has been no looking back. The only time I use the cruise comapny 'cattle call' shore excursions are when they have a lock on a particular excursion. Otherwise I avoid them like the palgue for all the reasons you cited.

Perhaps I could get you to share some of your experiences with Paris shore excursion. I will be on HAL next summer and they have an overnight in LeHArve. Last time we were there we went to Normandy. This time it will be Paris. I am looking for advice from you, and others, as to how to get into Paris and hook up with a local tour guide with the intention of putting together a small group overnight tour with like minded passengers from the ship using this boards Roll CAll as a means of advertising for fellow passengers. I also want to stay in Paris overnight while the cruise ship stays overnight in LeHArve. This way I will get to see alot more.

What I am looking for is the kind of deal we had on a Holy Land cruise where we left the ship in one port in Egypt, stayed overnight in Cairo, and got back on the ship the next day.

The company (NileBlue), made arrangements for us to be picked us up at the port, brought us to Cairo, did a full day excursion, made the hotel arrangements fo us for the night, picked us up in the morning for another day of sight seeing bringing us back to the ship in plenty of time for sailing away.

Can you, or anyone else recommend any companies in France that will do the same thing for LeHArve to Paris

All posts related to French ports:

no matter Med Sea Ports or Atlantic Ports like Le Havre and Cherbourg you can find here in one thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=593

To your Paris question:

Best way would be taking the train.

Check

http://www.tgv-europe.com

Regards,

HeinBloed

All posts related to French ports:

no matter Med Sea Ports or Atlantic Ports like Le Havre and Cherbourg you can find here in one thread:

Regards,

HeinBloed

Sorry to have "muddied the waters" further, so to speak.:) I guess that logic has not entered the new system so far, but the new system still is a vast improvement to the old due to the wonderful, long-requested and awaited decision to split the gigantic, impossible Med board into country/area segments.

I suppose the mod will move this thread to the new France board, but for now, we shall respond here. My question to the OP is "why do you need a tour guide?" Paris is a large city, but it is made for walking with some help from the wonderful underground Metro system. Many Parisians speak English and most menus in cafes/restaurants are available in multiple languages including English. As to getting to and from LeHavre, as HeinBloed has already said, the train is a good option. Keep in mind that Paris, like New York City, is really a city made up of smaller neighborhoods (they call them Arondisements). For an overnight stay, you should decide which area best meets your requirements and than look for a hotel (Tripadvisor.com is a great source for hotel ratings). Personally, we prefer to be on the Left Bank in the 5th (Latin Quarter) or 6th (St Germain) areas, but many first-time visitors perfer to be on the Right Bank in the area that is relatively close to the Louvre, There is a tremendous amount of info on Paris at your local bookstore or on-line and what you do should be based on your personal interests, not some overpriced silly tour. As an example, for us, the Musee D'Orsay is our favorite museum and we could care less about the more famous Louvre (my DW really dislikes this place). First time visitors will certainly want to visit Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower (it is quite expensive to take the elevator to the top) and stroll down the Champs Elysees and the adjacent Rue Rivoli (this is the street that runs by the Louvre). If you have specific questions on the city, we can help (as can others) but keep in mind its a huge city with unlimited options.

Hank

I agree with Hank. many of the main attractions are very close together and can be done on foot or with the aid of the metro. get a decent map before you go and do a bit of planning and you will be fine. I like the Insight fleximap because not only do they not tear or get damaged if you spill something on them, they also have the top ten places to visit and other useful infor. Great for cruiseing when you don't want to have to take loads of different guide books with you.You can buy carnets of 10 undersground tickets that work out cheaper.

You could stsrta at the Eiffel Tower, then along to Musee D'orsay, detour in to the delightful St Germain des pres area, back to the Seine and walk along there before crosiing over to the Ile de la Cite and Notre dame. Come out of there, you have the Louvre nearby, through the Tuileries Gardens to the Place De la Concorde at the bottom of the Champs Elysee , then wander up there and on to the L'Arce de Triomphe. if you have time left take a metro to the Place du Tetre and the Sacre Couer in Montmatre for some great views accross the city.

You can also get day passes for the metro, RER and bus. Saves hassle having to buy tickets all the time and explaining what you want and where you want to go. I think you can buy them online now too Paris Visite cards I think they are called.

save the money you'd spend on a guide and treat yourself to a lovely meal in a restaurant or cafe

Archived