Tips for Shore Excursions

Bridge Maven

On another thread someone posted that they give a tip to the tour guide that is 20% of cost of the shore excursion. Is that commonly done? I usually don't even consider the cost of the shore excursion for our tips. I base in on the length of the shore excursion, the involvement of the tour guide, and how good he or she was.

On another thread someone posted that they give a tip to the tour guide that is 20% of cost of the shore excursion. Is that commonly done? I usually don't even consider the cost of the shore excursion for our tips. I base in on the length of the shore excursion, the involvement of the tour guide, and how good he or she was.

The last that I knew from, I think, Celebrity's website, was that they suggested $2 per person for a half-day tour and $4 per person for a full day. Frankly, 20% of the cost of and excursion could be expensive, given that the ship's tours are often more costly than local ones. In any case, I think 20% is ridiculous period. What ever happened to 10%? Who makes these rules anyway?

Tips are totally subjective. Sometimes when you book a private tour, passengers tip higher if they are pleased with the personal service. Their choice. Some people tip nothing, feeling they have paid for a knowledgeable and entertaining guide in the booking rate. And unless they get something MORE than expected, no need to tip.

I agree that 20% is a very large tip. I don't care who the guide is, I don't think I would or did ever tip at that rate. Tip what YOU feel comfortable with and don't worry about others.

I never think about percentages when tipping a tour guide. If the tour guide does a decent job and it is a large tour I typically tip about $1 to $2 per person. If the tour guide does a great job and goes over and beyond expectations I do more like $3 per person. If the tour is particularly long or is small (as in number of people) I tip a bit more since a longer tour requires more work and on a small tour you generally receive more personalized service. I have gone up to $5 per person under such circumstances.

Of course if the guide does not provide an enjoyable experience and/or is overly aggressive in soliciting tips, I do not tip at all.

We don't always tip the tour guides--it just depends on what we got for our money! If the excursion was exactly what we purchased, then we generally don't tip. If we get more than we felt we paid for, or the guide was very personable, then we tip...it's really dependant on the experience. If it's just a driver to and from someplace, with no real "activity" on their part, we don't tip for the ride....that's what we PAID for!

Sometimes people have more money than brains

We're cruising to the Eastern Mediterranean, and some countries are not on the Euro. Would most of the guides accept USD and/or Euro? It would be nice to not have to get lots of different currency.

When we took our Mediterranean Cruise last year we gave all of our tips in Euros, even when the country had a different currency.

Archived