How soon to bid for Priceline hotel in Anchorage?

laginog

We will need 3 rooms in Anchorage for July 1st. I know this is way early but how soon should we start trying for Anchorage? I know July will be sky-high so we probably won't get much of a deal anyway but.....every bit helps!!

you will get different answers from different people.

I can tell you what we did last year, we cruised in the beginning of August and by this time i already had my priceline hotels booked.

We got the the sheraton, which was a little off the beaten path, but a beautiful hotel for 45 dollars per night and booked it in october through priceline.

Others in out party waited until jan-feb and their bid was accepted for 90 dollars for a lesser hotel.

the worse thing that can happen is you get rejected and try again in 3 days.

Check out http://www.biddingfortravel.com and see if anyone has won any bids yet for your destination

good luck

The problem with Priceline is the noncancelation. A big change this year will be more inventory of hotel rooms, due to Princess bypassing Anchorage and not booking near the amount of Anchorage hotels, I was informed by a B&B association that the impact will be significant. This may have a later booking advantage of lower prices. Also consider the charm of the excellent B&B's there, just a whole different experience than the impersonal hotels.

cancellation in the past has been a problem with booking through priceline, but they have just started a program where they do sell cancellation insurance, it costs $5.00 per night and you can cancel for any reason and get a full refund.

cancellation in the past has been a problem with booking through priceline, but they have just started a program where they do sell cancellation insurance, it costs $5.00 per night and you can cancel for any reason and get a full refund.

I just looked at Priceline's insurance and the current policy does not allow you to cancel for ANY reason, just covered reasons. Here is the text:

*Priceline reservations cannot be cancelled, changed or refunded. However with Travel Insurance provided by American Home Assurance Company, if you or your traveling companion have to cancel or interrupt your trip for a covered reason (e.g., unforeseen illness, injury or death), the cost of your reservation will be reimbursed.

We have never used Priceline.com - unsure of how to go about it. Will need a room for one night in late July/05 in Anchorage and we are thinking about using Priceline - please give us some direction on how to go about bidding for a room.

Also, we always purchase trip insurance - I would think it would cover the cancellation if we had to. Don't you think so?

Thanks

Charlie

in june of this year i bid $50 for a 4* in vancouver for may 10,2005. i got the vancouver marriot pinnacle on my first bid. wow, a great hotel for the money. so i would say to definetely start bidding now and see what they will take for a bid. you will have time to go up a few dollors after 72 hours again if they reject your first bid. i hope you have good luck. i will be using priceline from now on for all my hotels. i think it is great as long as you bid on a high enough star hotel to know you will get a decent room to stay in.

There is a big difference in priceline bids between Anchorage and Vancouver hotels. Far more availablity in Vancouver= plus the favorable exchange. You will need to confirm directly if your insurance is applicable to Priceline bids, I would speculate probably NOT if you just change your mind or plans??? I would suggest in Anchorage- have a back up reservation at a location suitable for your needs- a big difference will depend on if you have a car? Then keep trying priceline- as mentioned above, there will be more open space this summer due to Princess bypassing Anchorage on some tours.

I had no problem whatsoever with Vancouver, I got the Hyatt for $60 for 2 nights late July, however I have been bidding for Anchorage for two months, I bid for 2 rooms $90 each yesterday for ** 1/2 their still rejecting offer, I will probably just keep trying.Wish me luck.

Have a question using priceline for Vancouver. Will be going Aug, what region and star rating do you usually use for bidding. Have used priceline successfully in Fla, but am nervous about Vancouver.

Thanks for any help.

Ruth

hi, this is dusty again.

when i bid i just picked vancouver area or if you want to be by the airport pick the vancouver int airport area. i wanted a very nice room so i went with the 4* knowing i would get a great room cheap and i did. good luck.

Archived