Tracy Arm Fjord in July

surmy555

I know it's dicey early in the season to book a cruise that calls on Tracy Arm due to heavy ice and the likelyhood that your ship will not be able to get close enough to actually see the glacier.

How about a July cruise? I assume you have a much better chance of getting to the glaciers.

Has anyone done Tracy Arm in July and what is the likelyhood that you will get in far enough to view the glaciers?

Thanks

I know it's dicey early in the season to book a cruise that calls on Tracy Arm due to heavy ice and the likelyhood that your ship will not be able to get close enough to actually see the glacier.

How about a July cruise? I assume you have a much better chance of getting to the glaciers.

Has anyone done Tracy Arm in July and what is the likelyhood that you will get in far enough to view the glaciers?

Thanks

It probably varies from year to year depending on climate conditions. We went in mid-July 2006 and due to heavy fog in the morning, our ship didn't even enter the arm. Personally, I'd never book a cruise again that just had Tracy Arm as the only glacier viewing from the ship.

We were there at the beginning of July this year and our ship couldn't enter due to ice at the entrance. We went to Endicott Arm instead.

It varies year to year and month to month. I have friends who went in May this year and got through but we couldn't in July. Previous years it may have been reverse.

I would pick a cruise with another glacier (or 2 glacier days if Tracy Arm is one of them) to increase your chances of seeing a glacier. Ships rarely miss Glacier Bay.

Last year we went on a Tracy Arm charter with Adventure Bound on July 28th. This is obviously a much smaller vessel than a cruise ship, but we made it all the way to face of the South Sawyer Glacier. It was awesome!

How about August? I hope to go there then.

There are no guarantees, ever in Tracy Arm. Only about 25% of the ships, average the entire season, (this year doesn't even seem that many) make the full transit. Look at NCL and purchase their add on Tracy Arm tour, if a priority to get up to a glacier.

We are disembarking in the morning from the Sapphire after a B2B. Absolutely tremendous cruise! :)

We went with Adventure Bound while in Juneau on Tuesday and it was glorious! They told us the ice bergs this year are out the furthest that they have seen in a long time. We passed ice bergs almost larger than the boat we were on. We were able to get almost to the face of the glaciers and saw a tremendous amount of calving.

I can see why ships are unable to get to the glaciers. If someone has time in port Adventure Bound is the way to go! The boat is not very big and it is a 2 1/2 hour trip to and from Tracy Arm but when you arrive there you forget how far it was!:)

Archived