Grandeur 9 Night Eastern Caribbean Review

I tried to post this under cruise reviews but after two tries I gave up. I hope someone finds this useful....

My wife and I and two children (17 and 14) sailed the Grandeur from Baltimore on July 2nd with stops in San Juan, St. Thomas, Samana DR and Labadee. The Grandeur is our favorite ship to sail. It is older but in great condition and is elegant. The staff is wonderful. We love her size and don't give a hoot about the bigger ships. Grandeur is just right.

Embarkation in Baltimore was much slower this time. We arrived at noon and got on the ship an hour later. We were supposed to debark between 9:15 and 9:45 but it was 11:00. One day we will learn to take advantage of the express debarkation.

We had two connecting oceanview cabins on deck 3. The rooms were small but had plenty of storage. Our cabin attendant was great and was always there. I have no idea when he rested - early morning or late at night he was there.

Our kids were very knowledgeable of the ship as having sailed her before so they were right at home. They had a wonderful time with the activities of their age groups. Moreso with our 14 year old. The older teens pretty much preferred to just hang out with each other at the pook or a lounge talking. Anyway, they were happy so mom and dad were happy.

The food was a few notches below our last cruise on RCCL. It was not the chef's fault. It just seemed as they were buying inferior quality food. I love steak but stay away from the angus steak. It truly looked and tasted like liver. I couldn't eat it. The lobster and prime rib though were delicious. Our waiters Gilbert and Dallas were great.

We had MTD and were apprehensive at first but it worked great. We ate whenever we wanted, never waited for a table, and had the same staff each night. In fact, one night they did not have a table in our waiter's section. They sat us in another section and rearranged assignments so we could have our same staff. They did this on their own - we didn't ask. It was great!

The Windjammer's food was okay but it was the same thing all the time. They did add ribs one night and shrimp on another. That gave a little variety - very little.

Our CD was John and the Activities Director was his wife Katrina. It was a little odd. We really got a wierd feeling about them at first. I can't explain what it was. Maybe it was because they seemed like "co-CDs", or maybe because they were married, or maybe because Katrina was always promoting John, or perhaps because John had this thing for Neil Diamond songs. (He actually sounded just like Neil Diamond!) Anyway, after the wierdness they really tended to grow on you. In fact, John was the most visible and active CD we have ever had. The activities were the same old thing but they made them fun. Wish RCCL would come up with some new ideas.

What's with all the photographers? Two decks in the Centrum were constantly full of photographers taking formal shots with various backgrounds. I don't remember that many from our other cruises. We took one photo with them. You're in the Carribbean! Why use fake backgrounds?! By the way, we bought the Cruise in Review as always and didn't play it until we got home. I know they use some stock footage for the ship etc but The title screen of our DVD said we sailed from Norfolk instead of Baltimore and the two minutes ofe ice carving were not from our cruise. I am trying now to get a replacement or refund.

San Juan was well..... San Juan. Nothing new, been there before. We decided to skip any excursion and just walk around old San Juan. This is probably one of the best things to do there. It was very nice.

St Thomas was about the same - been there. We're not into shopping for overpriced things so we went as fast as we could over to St. John. Believe me, it is easy to do Trunk Bay on your own - and much cheaper than the ship excursion. We took a taxi to Red Hook, the ferry to Cruz Bay, and taxi to Trunk. We got there two hours before the ship excursions did. We had the place to ourselves for a long time. It was wonderful.

In Samana, DR we did the cave, mangrove, and beach escape excursion. It was well worth it. It was beautiful. I am really impressed.

Labadee is beautiful (construction excluded). We did the zipline and the snorkel safari excursions. Both were really fun. The snorkeling excursion was okay and very shallow (about 3') which would be good for those not too experienced at snorkeling. It was a little too shallow for me though. (Get me to Palancar reef in Cozumel and I am a happy camper.... snorkeler.) Would like to go back to Labadee before it gets too Disneyfied with the tobagan run, etc. We went to the beach at the zipline which was beautiful but a lot of rock under the water. The beach at the tender dock may be better but we didn't go there. The market was interesting. I know that the Hatians are very poor and selling goods at the market is great opportunity for them but they really push you to look at their goods and buy. I wish they would realize that that causes many people to walk by quickly without buying. Leave us alone and give us time and we are more likely to browse and hopefully buy. At the end of the market was an older woman who just smiled and let us look at her things for sale. We bought from her. One final note about Labadee.... I can't imagine the Oasis there with so many people. I would not want to be there then.

As always we had a great cruise on our favorite Grandeur of the Seas. We will miss her next year. There is no other ship like her and her crew. They are the best. Thanks Captain Rob and your staff!

I would be happy to answer any question...

Great review. We are going on the Granduer for the third time this October. She is a great ship. We aslo are doing the 9 day Eastern. We've done it before also but it is such a good trip for the money.

Fritz

Thank you. Watch the prices closely. We booked a year ahead and the final price was about half where we origianlly booked. In fact, THE DAY BEFORE WE SAILED I checked and there was a residency rate that saved us $500! That paid for all our onboard expenses!

We decided to skip any excursion and just walk around old San Juan. This is probably one of the best things to do there. It was very nice.

Thanks for an excellent review!

I liked your comment about San Juan. We enjoy walking in the ports and San Juan is one of the best for doing that.

I would be interested in any of the activities for the 14 year old. We are going at the end of the month, and I have a 14 year old son, and would be interested in knowing anything you remember or activities that your family enjoyed.

-Gerri

I would be interested in any of the activities for the 14 year old. We are going at the end of the month, and I have a 14 year old son, and would be interested in knowing anything you remember or activities that your family enjoyed.

-Gerri

I don't remember specifics but will check with my daughter (14 yr old) and let you know. I do know she had a great time and was supervised. They could stay out until 1:00am and our last night they begged the RCCL staff to let them stay later. She came in at 3:00am! We were okay with that because we knew by 10:00pm and again they were supervised and were having so much fun. If you haven't cruised before, make sure you check out the teen activities as soon as possible when you board. I remember our kids first cruise they waited a few days and regretted it. They have so much fun they will want to be there all the time. Go to all the shows with the family. They will tell you when something is for adults only. Then just watch for fun things announced in the daily paper. They will keep you and your son as busy as you want to be.

Well, per your first paragraph, useful? No...but only because I won't be going on her any time soon. But fun to read. :) I have a soft spot in my heart for the Grandeur, my first RCI cruise when she was brand new in 1996. Gorgeous ship and out of my eight cruises on various lines, I never had more fun than I had on that ship. I wish I knew who the CD was!

Thanks for the review! :)

Thanks for the review. We are going the end of August. Our 16 year old daughter will be going with us. Any suggestions for her ? Last cruise we went on we took our three grandsons also and the oldest was 16 also so they hung out together. I think this time she doesn't think she will have any fun.

Sandy

Really nice review and I share your thoughts exactly re/the Grandeur. Couldn't care less about those mega floating hotels and really enjoy the size of the Grandeur. She's a great ship with and outstanding crew and CPT. Rob is well, CPT. Rob (a real hoot)!:) We were last on her for a 10 day back in Dec and look forward to sailing her again.

Thanks for the really helpful and thorough review!!

Just wondering, does this mean that if you pay for the cruise in advance, you can get price adjustments to lower prices if they come out before you cruise?

Thank you. Watch the prices closely. We booked a year ahead and the final price was about half where we origianlly booked. In fact, THE DAY BEFORE WE SAILED I checked and there was a residency rate that saved us $500! That paid for all our onboard expenses!

Thanks for the really helpful and thorough review!!

Just wondering, does this mean that if you pay for the cruise in advance, you can get price adjustments to lower prices if they come out before you cruise?

That is correct! I've seen some people say it'll go back to your credit card and others say it'll be an on board credit. I got a small reduction after paying in full, asked for a credit back to my credit card, and got it.

We also leave in less than 2 weeks - I am starting to get really excited - thanks for the review. Glad to see your MTD experienced was simialr to ours on Freedom - I was worried if it would work as well on the smaller ship. I have a couple of questions:

- you noted you boarded late - I was planning on arriving at th eport between 11:30 and noon - do you know if the ship had a customs issue or is that the standard boarding time?

Did you happen to notice if they offered Ziplining inPuerto Rico (The canopy tour)? We had booked this for our April cruise and it was cancelled because of the # of hours of daylight - I would love to suprise my DD (it was offered for booking on-line at one point) but also don't want to disappoint her again.

Did you happen to notice if they offered Ziplining inPuerto Rico (The canopy tour)? We had booked this for our April cruise and it was cancelled because of the # of hours of daylight - I would love to suprise my DD (it was offered for booking on-line at one point) but also don't want to disappoint her again.

I was wondering the same thing! This is an excursion we are looking into as well

I read someone's review that there are not hair dryers in the cabins. What is your experience? We will be in a category M interior cabin. Thanks for any advice!

I've never been on an RCI ship that didn't have hair dryers. They might not have SEEN them. (Someone I was cruising with on the Majesty but was in a different cabin said, "I can't believe there are no hair dryers." I said, "Look in the desk drawer.") :)

We also leave in less than 2 weeks - I am starting to get really excited - thanks for the review. Glad to see your MTD experienced was simialr to ours on Freedom - I was worried if it would work as well on the smaller ship. I have a couple of questions:

- you noted you boarded late - I was planning on arriving at th eport between 11:30 and noon - do you know if the ship had a customs issue or is that the standard boarding time?

I'm not sure as to why it took so long to get on the ship. It was just much longer than our last time in Baltimore.

The zipline was offered in Puerto Rico. I understand that this was one of the best excursions offered.

I read someone's review that there are not hair dryers in the cabins. What is your experience? We will be in a category M interior cabin. Thanks for any advice!

We had two cabins - one with a hair dryer and one without. All we did is ask and an additional one was brought to us.

I was on the cruise before the OP's and we arrived a bit later than the previously announced time. There was probably some sort of trickle down effect. When we embarked, we were told that the ship was a couple of hours late getting into port that day. There were crowds every where, but the staff there set up a pretty good system.

Hi there! We are sailing on board of the Grandeur for the first time next week. I found all the information in this thread very useful. Also, I wanted to ask if anyone is traveling at the same time as us - leaving Baltimore July 30. I have a daughter who is 10 years old (turning 11 end of August). Just wanted to make sure she has some company to hang out with...Also I want to organize some shore excursions on my own (well, maybe we'll take just a few with Royal Caribbean). So I'm looking for some company because it's only 3 of us - my husband, my daughter, and I - and usually you can save some good money for a group of 10 or so. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your review of the Grandeur. DH and I leave Nov 5 for the 9 day. This will be our second RCCL cruise and we are looking forward to it.

We picked a dining time but MTD seems to be the new wave. We always enjoy having the same wait staff, and it seems like they tried to accommodate you with that. We had the Freestyle experience and missed that on Norwegian Majesty.

Archived