Beaches available via the open-air $2 taxis?

CeleBrat

OK--we have been to St Thomas a million times, and are looking to NOT take an excursion this time, or go shopping. Instead, we want to take one of thoe open-air $2 taxis (from the nearby Kmart) to the beach. What beaches are available via these routes? Which is best...? And which is closest? (Best doesn't have to be closest.)

Thanks!--CeleBrat

I know that Coki beach is on the route of the $2 taxi's. I haven't been there myself but it tends to get mixed reviews on these boards.

There are also regular taxi's that can take you to any beach you choose. Sure you will pay more but it will give you more options and it's still cheaper than a ships excursion.

None of the beaches are directly on the $ taxi route, all require walking of about a half mile or more. Magens Bay is totally off the route. Secret Harbour is about a mile and a half walk up and over a rather steep hill, no sidewalks.

Coki is about three quarters of a mile walk, flatish, but through an unpleasant neighborhood no side walks. Sapphire is a walk down steep hill about half to three quarters of a mile. Emerald Beach is a walk, but not sure how far,no sidewalk. Remember, it is very hot! Walking is slow and you must have water with you, it is "no stroll in the park".

Taxi?:)

B.

We took the $2 taxi to Sapphire with two kids in tow. Yes, there is definately a steep hill, but it's not close to being half a mile. You're simply walking though the hotel parking lot. If not any longer than walking from one side of costco or super wal-mart to the other.:)

Despite what everyone at the pier will tell you (and they will lie to you), you can get local transportation for $2 per person in an open-air taxi to Sapphire Beach. Simply walk out of the Havensight pier main gate, cross the street, turn left and walk until you get to the Bus Stop (there is a pullover area) across from K-Mart and cross the street so that you are standing on the K-Mart side of the street. It is a leisurely 10 to 15-minute level walk. When you see an open-air taxi drive up, flag him down, tell him where you wish to go and enjoy the trip. The drive takes about 20 to 30 minutes each way to Sapphire Beach depending upon traffic. Pay upon exiting the taxi. If you are going to Sapphire Beach, you will be dropped off at the entrance to the Sapphire Beach hotels which is at the top of a hill. A short 5-minute walk will get you on the beach. Sapphire Beach is a gorgeous white sand beach with lots of shade trees and awesome views of several nearby islands including St. John. The snorkeling is good. We saw several schools of fish (previously unknown to us), an eel, and a small stingray. Unpadded beach lounge chairs are $5 each if you want to rent one, or free if you just occupy one of the many chairs abandoned by their previous inhabitants. A dive shop, bar and grill, and restrooms are available. Some water sports are also available. Pick up the taxi again where it dropped you off.

Here are more of our Secrets of the Caribbean!

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

These are our very detailed personal reviews, hints, and tips for ports of call that you will be visiting.

CaribbeanBound! YOU ROCK! Thanks for the detailed info. I checked out your travel blog as well to see what other handy tips you have.

We are definitely going to try the $2 open air taxi in St. Thomas! I'll let you know how it goes when we return.

CeleBrat

• 2 weeks later...

My family and I did this exact same scenario to Sapphire in May of this year. We took the dollar bus to Sapphire walked down the hill and spent the day at the beach.

Now, granted, I have snorkled and dove in most of the world so I am a little jaded but I give the snorkeling at Sapphire a 3 out of 10. It was by no means awful it just wasn't any better than fair.

The bus ride there was great with no problems and the driver was friendly. We walked back up the hill to the bus stop to catch the bus back to the port. After about 10 mins or so a bus looking IDENTICAL to the one that dropped us off stopped and we got on. I told him we were going back to the port and he said get in. He drops us off on "main street" in front of the Diamonds International shop and I give him $10 (4 people + a tip). He looks at me and says "wait you still owe me $52! I am not a dollar bus!".

After much yelling by him and me simply asking how I was to know he was a "taxi" and not a "bus". He had no signage or even ID displayed. I stated I was a US citizen and that maybe we should go to the PD to have them settle this since we would both fall under the U.S. Justice dept. He literally started screaming "thief!" at me until the manager of the DI store came out and said to him "you have no signage nor any rates posted for passengers so you can't charge them more". The manager then told us to walk away and ignore him and he apologized for the man's rantings.

We walked for a good two blocks still hearing the "taxi/bus/whatever" driver yelling at us!

The moral of the above is always ask if it is a dollar ride you are getting before you actually get on...:)

LOL! funny story how I got that name... We were on the RCCL Empress several years ago. I enjoy an evening cigar espicially while on vacation but am ultra-conscientious of non smokers around and never light up without asking those around first. It was about 11 pm and there were literally 4 people on the pool deck counting my DW and myself. I lit up and we enjoyed the night sky. After about 30 mins or so this older lady walks up and sits 2 chairs away from us. She starts glating at us and pulls the collar of her shirt up over her nose. I suggested to her that there are 400 empty chairs on the entire deck and maybe she should find one that the smoke wouldn't annoy her ( we were in the smoking section no less:rolleyes:). She sat there for another few minutes then walked up to me and said " You are nothing but a big poopbag with that cigar!" and huffed off.

We thought it was so funny that the name stuck with and we laugh about it to this day:D

The moral of the above is always ask if it is a dollar ride you are getting before you actually get on...:)

...and the taxi drivers hate the Dollar Taxis. They will yell at you and the dollar taxi driver if you leave them to get on the dollar taxi. As far as I know, it's only been shouting, but it is intimidating. Also, some of the taxi drivers will drop their rate if they know you are looking for the dollar taxi. You won't get it for $2/person, but $5/person is possible

thanks for the info. Does anyone have a schedule / link / or route for these $2 taxis.

There is no schedule.....These are independent operators driving the island at their own schedule. One will go by every 10 -15 minutes, if that long between. They are only supposed to stop at Vitran Bus stops although many just stop anywhere.

If you have a map of St thomas they go east from town on Rt 38 which will eventually lead into Rt 32 and then eventually circle back into RT 38 to RT 313/314 and then into down town Charlotte Amalie on RT 30 (Veterans drive). The circle then begins again.

• 3 months later...

I really enjoyed reading about your trip/excursions.

St Thomas-We are looking to take the bus to American Yacht Harbor, Red Hook for a full day sailing, we are there from 8-5:30, our sail is from 9:15 to 3:30, do we have enough time to use the bus?

Curacao-Also We would like to see the Hato caves in the morning and then go to Kon Tiki beach, does the bus take you to the beach from the caves? We are in port from 8-5pm

Thanks!

Just a quick note about the dollar ride vs. taxi story. The dollar rides are not the public bus; they are not regulated, not on schedules or anything like that. You have to keep that in mind when using it. Typically the dollar ride drivers are taxi drivers; usually with older safari vechicles (where the taxi drivers running taxi often have newer safaris). Anyway, because the dollar ride isn't regulated the taxi rate charge coming up vs. the dollar ride rate has happened before. Not so much recently though as the only thing that was 'set' as far as the dollar rides was the rate. So someone running a dollar ride should stick to the dollar ride rate. So, just need to make sure you are getting in a dollar ride. It was noted that the 'dollar ride' the person thought they were taking had no taxi signage or placard and no id inside. This actually sounds like a gypsy taxi (an unlicensed 'taxi') since there were no placards on the vehicle. Licensed taxis should have a placard or sign on the roofs of the vehicle or somewhere; usually a little sign with passenger capacity and a taxi license plate. Also the driver should have their id in the front.

JustMarie - depends on how soon you can get off the ship... if short on time just take a taxi so you get to your charter on time. Havensight to American Yacht Harbor in Red Hook typically takes like 20-25 minutes in low/medium traffic. With traffic longer (more ships means more traffic). And from Crown Bay about 30-35 minutes again in low/medium traffic. You'd need to add time for walking to the bus stop area for catching the dollar ride.

--Islander

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just gettingback and used the $1 taxi. The post with the directions to the Kmart is right on. Thanks. It is $1 in town and $2 to go out of town. In fact it is the public bus. An easy way to know if it is the bus or taxi is the passengers. If it is full of locals, it is not a taxi but a bus. Look for the "vitran bus signs" or ask the locals, they are very helpful.

We went to Saphire beach ( $10 / pp on taxi) it was awesome. Some prices $7 / day for chair ( all day). You can also take it to/from town. the bus stop is right at the taxi depot in town ( $1 / pp ) instead of $4 but be prepared to stand your ground. If not, ask where the other bus stop is.

Archived