"Agency issue"....???

Kween Karen

Even though we'd all love to go over there to the TA and beat them senseless, Karen is right to sit back and trust HAL first. Obviously not to trust the lying TA.

HAL has some obligation to resolve this. The TA is really their agent of sorts. BY allowing this TA to book cruises with them HAL has some responsiblilty to collect from their agent (TA). HAL may even have legal justification for a suit against their agent for violation of whatever the agents sign in order to get bookings for thier clients on HAL.

Karen paid, has proof of payment. Right now it doesn't seem like it's falling back on her, for picking a bad TA. So let HAL pursue their agent, I imagine HAL can threaten to block agent from all future bookings and spread the word to sister companies. That would be a blow to and TA wanting to stay in the profitable cruise business.

Oh my God. I was assuming by today it would be worked out. It sounds like a really big screwup. It looks like you may have to pay again and fight the credit card companies when you get back. You would have all the paperwork you need, plus HAL will back you up. This is a true nightmare for you. So sorry.

Karen,

I'm a solo traveller too. I follow your posts on the solo travel website; we've exchanged a few messages and I've followed your blog. I know how anxious, frustrated and possibly desperate you are feeling now..... I'm sometimes the Anxiety Queen having to deal with unpleasant situations alone. Please have faith that this mess will be resolved and you will take your dream cruise. Stay calm and stay the course. Just can't wait for your cruise review!!!

C.

I am cruising!!

My cruise is paid in FULL!!

The very nice HAL lady called me and was beside herself with the good news. The money wire came through.....and my cruise is paid in full. She was very surprised......she didn't expect it to come through today. She said this could have taken weeks and had fully expected that. She was so happy for me....made me feel really good.

I will give more details later.....just wanted to pass this news to you all who have given me so much support during this ordeal.

I am cruising on my DREAM trip September 26th WOOHOO!!

I am cruising!!

The very nice HAL lady called me and was beside herself with the good news. The money wire came through.....and my cruise is paid in full. She was very surprised......she didn't expect it to come through today. She said this could have taken weeks and had fully expected that. She was so happy for me....made me feel really good.

I will give more details later.....just wanted to pass this news to you all who have given me so much support during this ordeal.

I am thrilled for you! Now you can relax and have a nice LARGE glass (or 3) of wine.

Betty, Just check your credit card statement online, or dial the customer service number on the back of your credit card a couple of days after making any payment for a trip. If the statement or automated system says the money was charged to HAL, you are OK. If it was charged to a TA, I would call the credit card company and cancel the charge and call the agency and tell them you will not allow the money to go to the agency and if they won't put the charge through to HAL you are transferring the booking to HAL or another TA.

We have booked more than 40 cruises through travel agents, both online and in person and every time the charge was put through the cruise line. We do book a fair amount of land trips with an online agency which discounts us if we pay by check and the check is made out to the agency. When I do that, I call the tour company, whether it be Tauck or Globus or any of the others a couple of weeks after sending the check and make sure they have been paid. I also buy cancellation insurance within a week after my deposit to cover me in the event of the TA or tour company going bankrupt (but never buy the insurance from the TA or tour company, because then I will not be covered if either the TA or tour company go belly up). Make sure the insurance is bought from an independent insurance company - we pick one from insuremytrip.com

Benita,

You took the words right off my keyboard. We pay about 90% of all our trips by check, with only the original deposit put on our credit cards. However, when using our CC's, we have never had the TA put any charges to his agency - they have always (thankfully!) been charged directly to the vendor. We have received from our TA, within 10 days of sending our payment, an invoice listing the vendor (HAL, Princess, Globus, etc), the booking or ID#, start & end dates of the trip,the trip description and that the total amount was paid-in-full by check or CC. In other words, the invoice clearly states that we have paid for the cruise, trip, etc., IN FULL and that we have a "zero" balance due. But, like you Benita, we also always call to verify that either the cruise line or tour company has received THEIR payment in full. Even though we have dealt with our TA for over 12 years, one can never be too careful. We buy the cancellation/trip insurance from Travelex - never from the TA or the cruise line.

DH and I are truly and sincerely praying for you, Karen. We hope that this situation will soon be resolved in your favor and that this apparently totally disreputable agency will be held accountable for all the misery and worry they have caused you and others. :mad:

Prayers & Blessings to you, and hopefully Smooth Sailing in the future!

I am cruising!!

Easily the best post on this board today...I'm SO thrilled for you!

I am cruising!!

Way To Go!!!!!!!!!!

WOW, WOW, WOW!!

Karen, I'm sooooooo happy for you. I've followed your trip on the Solo's board and now this and I've felt your excitement grow daily. I'm so happy that you are going cruising!!

Safe sails, Karen

Sue

Karen ... that is absolutely fabulous!!! Enjoy your dream!!!

Your angst and this thread have educated many members here about the pitfalls of monies being put thru on behalf of agencies rather than the cruiseline.

Just wondering now ... how many of this agency's other clients will face the same doom and gloom as you. Hopefully, this agency has learned a huge lesson and will stop playing with clients' monies.

Karen, We have been following you postings, and felt for the upset that you were put thru. We are sure that by now the cases are out and the packing will soon begin. Please, will you be so kind as to list your blog. We would love to follow your journey. ISDA

Karen,

I am so-o-o-o thrilled for you! Go have a big glass of wine or a very large martini, or a huge margarita and CELEBRATE !!!!!

It's about time some good news came your way and this is the news we've all been praying for. Maybe you can finally start looking forward to this wonderful vacation now and also---get a good night's sleep! God Bless and congratulations!!

:):):)

Archived