Marseille Question

Woobstr112G

DW & I are still undecided about what we want to do in Marseille during our T/A cruise in October. We were thinking of maybe just taking a shuttle bus (if offered) to try and save a little money and hanging out wherever. My question is for anyone who may have been to Marseille. Is the main part of town close to the where we will be docked which would make a shuttle bus feasible ? Also, does Marseille have any type of "HoHo" type bus?

Thanks in advance for any replies.....:):):)

Bob

DW & I are still undecided about what we want to do in Marseille during our T/A cruise in October. We were thinking of maybe just taking a shuttle bus (if offered) to try and save a little money and hanging out wherever. My question is for anyone who may have been to Marseille. Is the main part of town close to the where we will be docked which would make a shuttle bus feasible ? Also, does Marseille have any type of "HoHo" type bus?

Thanks in advance for any replies.....:):):)

Bob

The MPCC (Marseille-Provence Cruise Center) is far away from the City Center.

You better should take the shuttle. And I am sure that PRINCESS will provide one. If you prefer to use public transport you need to walk 1 mile before you reach the bus stop.

Here are some impressions from Marseille and the port:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/05/marseille-france-private-tour-marseille.html

But maybe you are interested the two spots we visited in Marseille while we were there.

Regards,

HeinBloed

AS heinbloed has said it is a long way away and not suitable for walking.

When we were there this May, we took the ship's shuttle service which dropped as off in the old town. We took Le petit Tren up to the Cathedral (Notre Dame de la Garde) that is perched up high above the bay. The cathedral itself if maginificent inside and out (although there are a lot of stairs to get in) and the views from up there are glorious. Really enjoyed the climb up in the little train as it wound up narrow quaint little streets and the great views you get accross the bay on the way up. It only cost 6 euros and you get the tickets at the waterfront of the old town just beside the fish market. After that we had a lovely lunch on the waterfront (loads of cafes and restaurants to choose from) before spending time wandering through the Artisan area of the old town for a while.

Also recommend the local soap. There was a stand at the cruise terminal that was selling it. Local handmade soap is a speciality in Marseille and it is very good quality. No chemicals in it and loads of different types to choose from. i bought several bars for my parents who have been raving about it.

We also took the free shuttle in town. We went to Aix in the morning ad then to town in the afternoon. The bus drops you off right in town on the harbor. Lots shops and places to eat. We too the little train. HOHO buses are right there too.

The MPCC (Marseille-Provence Cruise Center) is far away from the City Center.

You better should take the shuttle. And I am sure that PRINCESS will provide one. If you prefer to use public transport you need to walk 1 mile before you reach the bus stop.

Here are some impressions from Marseille and the port:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/05/marseille-france-private-tour-marseille.html

But maybe you are interested the two spots we visited in Marseille while we were there.

Regards,

HeinBloed

AS heinbloed has said it is a long way away and not suitable for walking.

When we were there this May, we took the ship's shuttle service which dropped as off in the old town. We took Le petit Tren up to the Cathedral (Notre Dame de la Garde) that is perched up high above the bay. The cathedral itself if maginificent inside and out (although there are a lot of stairs to get in) and the views from up there are glorious. Really enjoyed the climb up in the little train as it wound up narrow quaint little streets and the great views you get accross the bay on the way up. It only cost 6 euros and you get the tickets at the waterfront of the old town just beside the fish market. After that we had a lovely lunch on the waterfront (loads of cafes and restaurants to choose from) before spending time wandering through the Artisan area of the old town for a while.

Also recommend the local soap. There was a stand at the cruise terminal that was selling it. Local handmade soap is a speciality in Marseille and it is very good quality. No chemicals in it and loads of different types to choose from. i bought several bars for my parents who have been raving about it.

Thanks so much for your prompt replies, helps out tremendously.....:):):)

Bob

Archived