Chankanaab Park in Cozumel??????

cpacheco212121

The place actually looks cleaner than I expected. I might just choose this one over Paradise Beach due to the great snorkeling reviews. =)

Which end? :confused:

Guess I should have been more specific?

Chankanaab - Awesome snorkeling.

Paradise Beach - Beach toys (will we really use them though?), Not so good snorkeling, but overall, cheap

Mr. Sanchos - All inclusive w/snorkeling, but don't know if the snorkeling is any good.

So in the end, meaning either before we leave Sunday, or when we get to Mexico, we will have to decide. I think that was more clear?

Your pictures were great! We were there last November and it was great. We took a taxi from the cruise ship and paid the entrance fee & they gladly accepted the coupon that we printed online. It is so much cheaper than the excursion from the cruise line. My niece and nephew swam with the dolphins and booked it when we got there. They had a blast and it was fun watching them. There is plenty of shade and a beach area for sunning. The water was very calm when we were there. The beach for swimming is not very good. The bottom is rocky. Those beach shoes like you see at Walmart are a must unless you are right at the edge. The snorkeling is pretty good and they have steps leading into the water. They rent equipment or you can bring your own. The "ruins" are replicas and there are trails that lead into lush vegetation. Plan to do some walking. You will also see many iguanas and birds. There is a salt water lagoon that has lots of fish. We really enjoyed it. If you are looking for a party atmosphere then this is not the place you want to be. If you want to enjoy something that is not rustic but has a lot of nature and the feel of the tropics then you will love this park.

I am also wondering about the price of renting snorkel gear at Chankanaab.

I am torn between Chankanaab and Uvas currently.

Uvas offers a package that includes entrance, snorkel rentals and 2 free drinks for $15. While, Chankanaab is $12 entrance fee alone. ($10 if you print out the coupon here http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/cupon.htm

Can any one tell me the reason for the price discrepancy? I am there mainly for the snorkeling, and knowing Uvas is right near Chankanaab, the snorkeling is probably just as great in both places. From the pictures i have seen Chankanaab seems to have more land based attractions then Uvas.

Can any one else comment?

We've been to Chankanaab 3 times, with and without small children. We've done the dolphin swim, and snorkeled with our own equipment. We've done the trail with the "ruin replicas" and there was a woman demonstrating making totillas when we were there. She gave us one to sample. If you want to save money, go to the park's website like someone linked and print out a coupon. Also, depending on how many are in your party, you can link up with another couple and share a cab. The park is very clean and has clean restrooms.

Sewut

Just to clarify a point I didn't see answered (I might have just missed it)- the cozumelparks website is confusing. It actually encompasses several different parks in Cozumel, two of which are Chankanaab and San Gervaiso. These are not in the same location nor nearby- you'd really have to choose one or the other, as San Gervaiso is a decent drive from port in the opposite direction.

I have a question about the snorkeling in the park. Do they have life jackets for people to wear? Do they require you to wear one? Are they available for rent?

Thanks in advance for any info!

kathy

I read on a travel website a review from someone who went in April 2009 and they said that you can rent life jackets for $5.00 a person.

I am also wondering about the price of renting snorkel gear at Chankanaab.

Can any one else comment?

I read somewhere online it was around $10 a person to rent snorkel equipment, I have my own so I do not know for sure, but if you do a search on Google you can probably find a website that either tells the prices or has reviews from someone who went and they will tell you what they paid.

I have a question about the snorkeling in the park. Do they have life jackets for people to wear? Do they require you to wear one? Are they available for rent?

Thanks in advance for any info!

kathy

I emailed them to asked about life vest rentals. They responded that they are available for rent for $5 each.

Are you allowed to bring in snacks or food into the park? Do they do a bag check or anything at entrance?

I don't recall. The last time I was there all I had was my travel camera, which fits in my pocket. The time before that was five year ago.

Was there last year and will be going back this year! Loved it! It is about a six mile taxi ride from the Langosta (sp) pier.

Drink prices range depending on the vendor. We found a little place that was selling beer for 2 bucks. The food is reasonable priced we ate very close to the dolphin encounter and watched them as we ate. Lunch was between 6-8 dollars pp.

We're going in October and will do the dolphin swim. Can you tell me if they offer beach massages there as well? The girls would love to grab one of those (so would I) if possible and I haven't seen this asked before about CP.

I saw photos of a pool area. Is this part of the park? Do they charge extra for that or lounge chairs?

Is this area near the lagoon?

The use of the pool is free (or actually included in the entrance fee). The pool is close to the entrance but not that far from the lagoon.

what did you feed the fish and do they provide it at the park?
I was given some crackers. It is not "provided". I was going to buy something with bread, but the menu didn't contain any sandwiches. I was given the crackers after explaining what it was I wanted to do.

Archived