Lisbon on a Sunday

I was wondering if being in Lisbon on a Sunday makes any difference as to what is open or operates? We were thinking of not doing a ship shore excursion but doing our own thing. Is it easy to get from the port to Lisbon? Would places be open that sell small tiles?

Thanks,

Jean

It is easy to get into Lisbon from where the ships dock. There is a tram/trolley that you can take into the lower main plaza of town and you can walk most areas from there.

I'm sorry to tell you that my experience was all but a few very touristy shops are closed on Sundays. There are some great stores selling the Portuguese ceramics, pottery, and tiles, but I doubt these will be open. You may be able to find some small tiles in an open shop as they are a popular souvenir.

Being in Lisbon (or just about anywhere in Europe) on a Sunday or Monday (particularly Monday mornings) does have a major impact. In Lisbon, many of the stores will be closed, although there are still a large number of merchants that open on Sundays (often not until around Noon). However, Sundays are actually a pretty good day to be in this part of Portugal. During the summer, the seaside resorts of Cascais and Esteril are popular Sunday destinations and just about everything is open in these towns (easily accessible by train or bus from Lisbon). Another favorite destination is Sintra (we love this town) which is also very much open on Sundays (in fact, it is their biggest day of the week). Sintra is also accessible by train from Lisbon (a lot cheaper than the overpriced cruise ship tours).

Hank

Archived