Making Sense of the Many D Cabins on Oasis

I am trying, yes I know daunting task, to make sense of the 8 levels of D cabins on Oasis. I am booked in a D7 for the inaugural and have been looking at other Oasis cruises and for some reason D7 is actually the most expensive D cabin, Sept 2010, and I've noticed that on other cruises. So, has anyone come up with the a decent explanation as to the reasoning for 8 levels and what the differnent levels mean.

Oh, I did notice D1 were the hump cabins, but that was the only one I could figure out.

Scott

I am wondering the same thing! :)

I booked a D6 for our Oct 2nd 2010 (so long away) cruise. I was going to book a D7 but the TA said he could upgrade for the same price to a D6. Not sure the big difference either, but I thought why not. I do notice the D8 balconies are on the lower decks so maybe it has to do with the "view" which includes the deck height and position of cabin on the deck (forward, aft)? I am on deck 12 which is pretty high up so I thought that may be the reason it is a D6. But then I noticed some D4s and D5s that are on lower decks than mine but have higher price tag. So really I have no idea :confused:. .

I'm in a D4 on deck 9, which seemed to be the least expensive of the balcony rooms for 4 for my cruise. Wondering if the lower the number the better the room is considered?? (If TA told someone that going from a D7 to a D6 was an "upgrade") I'd like to know too, cause if I'm in a "lower end" room, I might upgrade.

From what I can figure out, it's all about location, location, location! D1-4 are all ocean facing balconies. D1 are humps, D2 are more mid ship, D3 and D4s more towards back and front of ship. Most people like to be more central which makes D3&4s a little less desirable. I think that's about all there is to the difference between D1-D4!

I've been on 3 cruises but I've just got to ask...what's a hump cabin??:confused:

A Hump cabin is the cabins in the middle of the ship where it bows out, so it's call the Hump. The are the best cabins for some because of the location (close to elevator and if you are on one end of the ship your still close to your room). If you can get a center hump (a cabin in the middle of the hump) you can see the front and back of the ship without obstructions.

cnc123, honestly I don't think there is a big difference in a one level upgrade. For instance in your case there is probably not much difference in going from a D4 to a D3. Now maybe going from a D4 to a D1 you will probably see a bigger difference. The only reason I went from a D7 to a D6 was because it was a free upgrade. But I would not have paid an extra $100 to do that though. Just my thoughts.

We've been in several humps, have a few more booked. The location is terrific. You are near stairs and lifts, but you don't here any noise because you are kinda tucked in an area that is muffled from the noise.

If you find a hump you like, go for it.

Rick and Deirdra

From what I can figure out, it's all about location, location, location! D1-4 are all ocean facing balconies. D1 are humps, D2 are more mid ship, D3 and D4s more towards back and front of ship. Most people like to be more central which makes D3&4s a little less desirable. I think that's about all there is to the difference between D1-D4!

That's a pretty good observation. I guess I would kind of think all balconies are ocean facing, but I think what I see is that the cabin isn't going to be directly obstructed looking forward or aft by a hump, it is far enough away that it isn't a factor. That said, it doesn't really explain why a D7 is more expensive then a lot of the other D level cabins.

The only other think I learned was that D4 is the first level cabin, in the D series, that can take more then 2 people, so maybe the D8 to D5 mirrors the same assumption made about D4 to D1, but again D7 would be expected to be a lower cost cabin, but it's higher.

So, still kind of confused, but good to continu to get other thoughts.

Scott

Archived