Transportation from LGA to New Jersey Hotel

dmpuszcz

I'm looking for suggestions on where to stay and what transportation to use? We're flying into LGA on Oct 29 and leaving Cape Liberty on Oct 30. It's a repositioning cruise on Celebrity so we won't be returning to that port. So far I have Quality Inn and Suites booked in Elizabeth, NJ. I thought I had read that that was a good choice but reading the posts today I don't see much about staying there.

Does anyone have suggestions on where to stay and then how to get from LGA to whatever hotel we're going to stay at?

Thanks in advance!

While I am not familiar with Quality Inn in Elizabeth, N.J., there are three areas in New Jersey where many cruisers stay. Very close to the passenger terminals of Newark Airport are hotels in both Newark and Elizabeth. These hotels are most convenient to the airport itself, but are not in areas that have many attractions or are otherwise in a pedestrian-friendly environment. Southeast of the airport, in Elizabeth, is a small group of hotels near the Jersey Gardens outlet mall. Not surrounded by the highways as with the Newark Airport location, there is also a modicum of activity in the nearby (reasonable walking distance) Jersey Gardens outlet mall. Finally, there are several hotels along the Jersey City waterfront. These are closest to the Cape Liberty Cruise Port and have excellent access to New York City for sightseeing and other business.

If I were making this trip, and everything else being equal, I would choose to stay in one of the Jersey City waterfront hotels. Consider the Candlewood Suites, Doubletree, Courtyard, Westin, and Hyatt.

From LaGuardia Airport you've a choice of private or public transportation.

Private transportation consists of yellow taxis and pre-arranged car services. Taxis are not obligated to go to New Jersey (except for Newark Airport), and you will have to negotiate a flat fare for the journey. Others here can probably give you a good guide as to cost. The regular fare for a yellow taxi is $2.50 for the flag drop plus $2.00 per mile. Car services will quote a price for the journey, regardless of the mileage or time required, but you'll still have to pay tolls.

Public transportation requires a couple of steps, and is least complicated going to the Jersey City waterfront hotels. You'll board the Q33 bus at LGA, ride to the last stop, and then get the F train. At 34th Street station follow the signs for the PATH train and ride to Pavonia/Newport (or, for the Hyatt, Exchange Place). This will cost $6.25 if you do not have a MetroCard (bring $2.25 in coins only for boarding the bus at LGA), or $4.00 if you have a MetroCard.

I know others will post about the transportation from LaGuardia to Newark. On Hotwire I am seeing a 3* hotel at Newark Airport for $45 - the indications are that this might be the Holiday Inn because it lists Laundry as an amenity. I stayed there in April and you can search on this thread for my detailed review. This would be a fabulous deal - you won't have a car, so there would be no parking charge. It is also one of the closest hotels to Bayonne. I've stayed in three hotels at Newark airport and they were all pretty much the same. Holiday Inn has been running some terrific discounts - I was wondering what was wrong with it, but I had a need for 2 rooms in April for a party of 6 so I decided to take a chance. We paid about $55 plus parking and tax for a total of about $142 for all of us. It was perfect for a one night stand - I called them and we even got connecting rooms. Another option would be a 4* hotel in Jersey City - either the Westin or Hyatt - for $134.

Archived