Hobart in Dec 2009?

It looks as if there will be two or three cruise ships docking in Hobart when we dock. With that large a group of passengers(4000-6000) will we have trouble seeing the sites? Should we be thinking of renting a car or booking a tour now? What would you suggest we see in Hobart? We don't usually take the ship tours.

Any suggestions would be appreciated..

Thanks Moira

It looks as if there will be two or three cruise ships docking in Hobart when we dock. With that large a group of passengers(4000-6000) will we have trouble seeing the sites? Should we be thinking of renting a car or booking a tour now? What would you suggest we see in Hobart? We don't usually take the ship tours.

Thanks Moira

Suggest you look on cruise ships excursions for each ship to see where they're going and don't go there. I'd hire a car and head south ASAP, as the area south of Hobart is really beautiful and you'll be away from the ship tourists. Then you can leave time for Hobart at the end. What you do, depends on your interests.

http://www.discovertasmania.com/

http://www.discovertasmania.com/destinations/hobart_and_surrounds

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Moira

Port Arthur is not to miss. That said I might skip it on this day as there will be a zillion buses there.

I asked the folks in Salamanca Market if they were overrun on cruise ship days and they said, cruisers come in and leave without even stopping at Salamanca. Hobart is a nice city. Have fish and chips and Fish Frenzy. Go to Cascade Brewery these will be less overrun than Port Arthur and Richmond.

Pity that as well I already said it PA is the most beautiful place ever to host a truly monstrous prison.

Archived