a niggling doubt about my passport!

tikkas

I'm going on the Gem next Sunday, and my passport (European) will expire in October. Will I have a problem embarking, seeing that the NCL website says it should be valid for 6 months? Í'm European, with a European passport, on a European cruise. Anyone had a similar issue?

I'm sorry to say that you will MOST LIKELY have a problem, and you should do whatever you can to get a new passport before you sail.

The policy is not NCL's. It's the immigration policies of the countries you'll be visiting, which require a passport valid for 6 months after date of departure.

This is in case you are stranded there, for any reason (e.g. medical), and ensures that you still have a valid passport for return transportation.

I encountered those rules in many countries and have made a practice of always replacing my passport in year 4 of 5, or year 9 of 10 depending on which of my citizenships I'm updating.

Have a read of this article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13342877/

I'm sorry to say that you will MOST LIKELY have a problem, and you should do whatever you can to get a new passport before you sail.

The policy is not NCL's. It's the immigration policies of the countries you'll be visiting, which require a passport valid for 6 months after date of departure.

This is in case you are stranded there, for any reason (e.g. medical), and ensures that you still have a valid passport for return transportation.

I encountered those rules in many countries and have made a practice of always replacing my passport in year 4 of 5, or year 9 of 10 depending on which of my citizenships I'm updating.

I always do ours well before they expire, too. My husband actually had a situation where he went to Japan for business for two weeks, and his return date was into the six month time period. They told him they'd allow it, but be aware that your planned return has to be outside the six month time period.

The last time I renewed ours, the clerk at the passport office (Canadian) made me write out a statement on why I was renewing a passport that didn't expire for 7 months and attached it to my application. My mom had the same situation, and she did it at a different office. I just thought it was funny that they were acting like it was unusual to do it well ahead of time, when every time I've travelled, I've received warnings on my itinerary to make sure I have a passport that is valid for six months after I get home.

Viv

Tikkas-I'm using my EU passport for a quick break in Spain soon, and it will have less than 6 months, but I shall be renewing it as soon as I return because we're off to Egypt in Feb, which needs 6month's clearance. Aren't all your trips in the EU on this cruise? I know Gem goes to Malta first, but I can't think that you'll be doing Turkey or Africa. Ring the passport office at Liverpool and check if any of your stops need this 6month cover.-jocap.

I didn't know this requirement. Thanks.

What' does niggling mean if I may ask?:confused:

Petty in an annoying way in reference to the OP but in it could also be used in other instances as well. Instead of nickel and diming, I suppose one could say niggle and diming.:D

Petty in an annoying way in reference to the OP but in it could also be used in other instances as well. Instead of nickel and diming, I suppose one could say niggle and diming.:D

LOL!! Good one!

I'm an American. In March we had plans to fly to the Bahamas. Our passports were expiring within 6 months of our return. The airline would not let us board. Three other families on our flight weren't allowed either. We decide to goto AZ instead. When we got to our resort we met another family that had planned to go to Turkey (go figure) and their passports were expiring within 6 months as well. Their airline wouldn't let them on either. We were told by the airline that if they let us on the plane once we got to the other country they wouldn't let us in. I say get an expidited passport. Will cost a bit more but worth it. trust me!! True story. Not a fun situation.

Archived