Do you prefer cruising with friends or alone??

cmlmich

I prefer cruising alone w/my husband. We've done it w/friends and it felt like we couldn't go off on our own at any time. Even if you set ground rules, it seemed someone would get offended. We both enjoy the same things on our cruise, so all our future cruises will be alone. It's nice meeting new people and hanging out on the ship, but with that, we don't feel like we have to coordinate everything or run a chance of offending someone. Happy cruising everyone!

I guess it depends on your personality. My least favorite cruise including our families and some friends. It was cool to see them around the ship and hang out sometimes, but someone was always looking for us to have breakfast together or do other things. Sometimes I just wanted to wander the ship alone or spend time as a couple.

My favorite cruise was with my best friend. We both had our own schedules and if we wanted to do different things, we'd just meet up somewhere. Also, we had great table mates who become our friends for the week and we'd could hang out with them if and when wanted.

+1

I couldn't say it any better than this!

Sister and I have mostly cruised alone (14 times), and we enjoy each of us just kind of doing our own thing......She often doesn't get off the ship and I like shore excursions.

One time we went with our older sister and BIL and we had a good time, but it was their 2nd cruise and they just don't love it the way that Donna and I do.

Our very favorite cruise though was the CC Bloggers cruise this past February. We had the opportunity for almost a year to get together with many of the people that we were going to be cruising with, so it was like a big family reunion when we got to NOLA and got on the ship. There wasn't hardly a time, when you weren't running into someone you knew.

Our next REALLY big group cruise is the CC Crazies Conquest in September. I think there are about 300 of us on that cruise and it's going to be even better than the Bloggers.

Jhale wrote: We do both, however when cruising with others (especially people new to cruising) sometimes I find myself the unofficial cruise director for the group.

This is where I am. My last three cruises have been with a group of about 20. Each year about half the group is composed of newbies... Some get along fine on their own, some need a little handholding. After a couple of days we just cut them loose. I definitely like a group, however. Just seeing folks get away from their own little corner of the world can be fun. As for time with my significant other... we've been married 26 years and dated eight years before that. We're beginning to look alike. I look forward to interacting with others. :D Besides, we need at least four for Bid Whist.

Jim

Jhale wrote: We do both, however when cruising with others (especially people new to cruising) sometimes I find myself the unofficial cruise director for the group.

This is where I am. My last three cruises have been with a group of about 20. Each year about half the group is composed of newbies... Some get along fine on their own, some need a little handholding. After a couple of days we just cut them loose. I definitely like a group, however. Just seeing folks get away from their own little corner of the world can be fun. As for time with my significant other... we've been married 26 years and dated eight years before that. We're beginning to look alike. I look forward to interacting with others. :D Besides, we need at least four for Bid Whist.

Jim

I completely agree with you about the SO! I love my husband, and while we like to spend time together, it's nice when he has some of his buddies to play golf or scuba with. I'm a beach bum and am happy just lounging around or hitting the spa and meeting up with him when he's done, lol.

We love alone. We had a great time with four of us. We had a good time with a group of 20 for our friend's wedding anniveresary. Since it was their family and other friend of their children, we were pretty much along except for dinner where we had two tables and met. We changed seating every other night and it was fun. The last cruise was two years ago and there were eight of us. Six of them ate together at the buffet almost every night, did not want to dress up and pretty much did their thing. So, again we did ours. As long as everyone understands there are no rules or schedules, I can travel with or without. Just enjoy what you want when you want. We currently are booked on the Miracle with another couple, but have just told the other four, so we shall see.

Patti & John

We've been on 3 cruises with another couple who are very good friends, mostly it worked out ok, but there were some problems. After the last cruise it will be just dh, myself and kids. Those are my favorite cruises. Our biggest problem with this other couple was after booking she would tell his family and some wanted to go along, well we didn't want it to turn into someone else's family reunion, and oddly the cruise before she did the same thing. I had to tactifully suggest it would be better to do another cruise down the road which would be a family reunion, especially since we all planned it that way. After she did that on the second cruise I decided that was it, because the attitude became, "what can I do if they book"? I simply said, let them know your going with another couple, and that you'll plan something with them another time. Not that difficult, but there are obligations with another couple even if your great friends, so its something to think about.

I've done both - and enjoyed both. Did establish some "ground rules" for travelling with another couple. Made sure that they knew it was okay for us to do different activities, excursions, etc as couples. In fact, that would make dinner interesting as everyone shared what they did for the day. We also did a couple of excursions together.

We did that, and said either way we would see them at dinner and basically lets go with the flow. As soon as we got on the ship my friend wanted us to take down the partition between the balconys, so they did that and I secretly cringed. I like my privacy, and thats when I knew we should have just booked alone! It was still a great cruise, but I've learned my lesson.

We have always cruised with a large group last cruise was 42 total. I love recruiting people who have never cruised.But I guess some dont like cruising as much as I do.Our next cruise will be just me and hubby and I am looking forward to it very much.

I hadn't really given it much thought. We have only been on one cruise and my husband and I went alone yet had met people on CC who were also going to be on our cruise. We arranged dining room seating together and ended up spending the majority of our cruise together. We have spent Thanksgiving and Fourth of July with all of them since. We will be cruising with one of the couples along with others we have met on CC and couldn't imagine cruising without them. But, with that said, we are cruising in February 2010, with all of our adult children, 8 of us in total, and that will be an adventure. We have told everyone that the only requirement we, as the payees of the cruise, have is that everyone have dinner together and everyone dress for formal night for a family portrait. Other than that, they are on their own. And they better not miss the boat. If they do, they better learn to speak the language because we will not be bailing anyone out of that problem.

We are also cruising with my mother for the first time in November. I'm excited and nervous about it. She is 75 years old and uses a motorized wheelchair at home and a walker and / or cane when she is out. Feeling like I can do my own thing may not be possible on that cruise. Either way, I can't wait to spend the time with my mother and enjoy the wonder of cruising through her eyes. What a great experience.

Bon Voyage!!!!!!! However you do it!!!!!!

Did establish some "ground rules" for travelling with another couple.

Made sure that they knew it was okay for us to do different activities, excursions, etc as couples.

In fact, that would make dinner interesting as everyone shared what they did for the day.

We also did a couple of excursions together.

Excellent advice!

Our Med. cruise group numbered seven

and when we stopped at Civitavecchia, I sent my wife off to Rome with her dau. and tribe

-they had this burning, life-long Thing to accomplish-

while I did the Lake Bracciano tour with the others! ;)

It worked out well: we compared notes later

and we have two sets of 'Rome' photos for memories!

In a group .... a large group ...... 12 of us this time and maybe more , so you spend different times with different people ..... and some time alone ! We all meet up for dinner on several evenings , otherwise we 'mix and match' , it works well . We live in different countries and only get together for vacations so it is extra special :D

Well i love cruising alone with my DW,but i hate leaving my kid's behind,that's why were taking them this year.But next year on our anniversary there going to be staying behind.As for the friend's part,never have cruised with friend's,my DW is my friend and that is all i need.But i have been trying to get my brother and his wife to come along,but they never really gave us a date to go,and plus now there not together anymore.So yes i do love to cruise alone with my Dw,and then sometime's i love taking the kid's.

DH and I cruise to get away from obligations, relax, and have time together(alone). We've tossed the idea around about cruising with friends but decided against it, travelling by ourselves, we have a great time and come home relxed.

... I though you really meant alone! I've cruise over a dozen times by myself and 9/10th of the time I make friends onboard I wouldn't have otherwise. This coming cruise I have buddies coming along. Now these are great people and I couldn't ask for better travel buddies, but I am nervous!

I think if you establish ground rules groups can be fine. It can be as easy as "we'll meet for dinner only" or just pick one or two excursions together. I think everyone needs to be able to say "you know, I'm/we're going to go off by ourselves for a bit..." and make sure everyone knows not to get offended. People shouldn't have to go to their cabins for alone time, and groups are ill advised to be together 24/7. The great thing about a cruise is there is stuff for people to do.

So what I say is either is good, just know yourself and your friends!

We have cruised alone, with family and with family and friends. We love being in a group with all kinds of different personalities and opinions, so I guess we like group cruising the best.

One of the wonderful things about cruising is that it has brought my family closer together.

We tend to plan our next cruise while we are sitting on deck enjoying an adult beverage and soaking up the sun! :p

I have cruised alone, with my sister, with my husband, with family members and friends. All cruises have been great.

Usually sailing with just one other person, it's easy to decide what to do each day and night. When others are added to the equation, it is a bit more difficult. We have one rule when cruising and that is everyone/anyone can do whatever he/she wants and we will tell everyone what our plans are for the day. If anyone else wants to join in, the more the merrier. If not, we all meet for dinner.

I have to say sometimes we all meet for breakfast, but I am not one to get up early and my family/friends usually prefer to eat in the dining room. It's everyone's vacation and we do our own thing.

When my husband and I have sailed alone, which is rare, we have met others on the ship and have enjoyed their company. When we sail with family and/or friends, usually we have our own table for dinner, so don't meet as many people, but that isn't a problem for us.

Do what you feel comfortable with, but be sure to let everyone know that you are not all joined at the hip and everyone should feel free to do whatever. Enjoy!

My first two cruises were with friends and were TERRIFIC.

My third was with DD for her 21st b-day. Also TERRIFIC>

Last cruise we went on our 30th anniversary cruise (DH's first cruise). Our Kids went with us (grown- one has a spouse, the other took a friend her age) and my BFF and her DH went also.

We had the BEST time I have ever had on a vaca.

We are going with BFF and her DH on our next cruise.

We've done both.......just the two of us.....or with my brother and SIL.

Cruising is our favorite escape, and like others.....we have a rule when travelling with ANYBODY else .....

.....only commitment we have to others .....is to see them each night at DINNER. Over dinner, should someone bring up what their plan is later that night or next day.....and the other couple says they'd like to join in...

....FINE.

No calling each other on phone, no knocking on doors.........if we bounce into each other on ship, that's great too.

Works for us......love cruising. The great escape with no commitment to anything but ultimate doing-very-little fun !

My wife and I will be going on our first cruise in Jan. and we were thinking about seeing if another couple would like to come too. I have talked to a few people I know and they seemed to think that having friends with you on a cruise is more fun.....I would love to hear more opinions on this.

The first time we cruised was just my DH and myself. We met a great bunch of people on CC role call and we have been cruising together sense. We get all the balconys in a row and then open up the dividers. :p

Archived