Holiday Inn Express question - Expedia messed up

sunseeker09

We booked the Holiday Inn Express for our pre-cruise night. We'll be getting in early in the day, so we'll be making full use of the hotel. No regrets there. I think it was a good choice.

The problem is I booked through Expedia and selected a non-smoking room, but when it was confirmed it said it was a smoking room. I requested the change, but they replied that there are only smoking rooms available. Funny, but when I go back on their site as if to book again, both smoking and non-smoking rooms come up for the same price. Also, when I go directly to the Holiday Inn's site the non-smoking room also comes up. I contacted them back to tell them this and they basically gave me the standard - too bad you aren't happy with our service - garbage, but they don't care. They said I could cancel and rebook, but ah.. the room cannot be changed or cancelled. So I am stuck

GRRrrrrr. I book through sites like Expedia so that I can pay in CAD and not have "surprises" with the exchange rate. But more and more I regret using sites like Expedia or Travelocity as their service stinks! Expedia NEVER again! BEWARE - your booking might just change by the time it comes back as confirmed.

Sorry for the rant... my actual question is: To anyone who has stayed there, do the rooms have balconies? It looks like they don't from the pictures? Please tell me the windows open to let some fresh air? Was anyone in a smoking room? If so, how was it?

Don't flame me smokers. My DH is a pack a day smoker, but I have trouble being in an enclosed space that is smokey. He doesn't like it either and only smokes outside. By beef is only with Expedia and their NON-service!

Sorry, no balconies. The windows do open to let in fresh warm, humid air. We stayed at the HIE several times pre cruise and it was what we wanted for the price. The rooms are on the small side but all we use it for is to sleep and change our clothes. The location is about 2 blocks to the beach and the bus to San Juan is only .75 and within a block. Several nice restaurants nearby at very reasonable prices. Cab ride to the Panam pier was $20 for the 2 of us. Front desh workers have been very friendly and helpful. Small pool, hot tub and breakfast are provided.

Thanks Cruising Lions. At least the hotel itself seems like it is what we are looking for as well. I've read many good reviews. We get into SJ in the morning day before the cruise, so we're hoping to drop our bags and get lunch, shop, go the the beach etc. before check-in. I read a couple of reviews that they've let people check in early. That would be nice for a nap after an over night flight, but if the room stinks I think we'll snooze on the beach or by the pool instead! LOL I'll take warm, humid air over a stinky room anyday. I'll bring the Febreeze for sure.

Maybe they read these forums (lol), or I just complained enough, but they got back to me that will change the room to a non-smoking room. In the process we even got an upgrade to a king (which I didn't see available before so I booked a queen). I understand not being able to switch to something that isn't available, but I don't understand when things show up when they aren't available, or when a booking changes. Some sites do that a lot with rates, and when you go to book those rates aren't available at all. Irritating.

Anyways... all sorted out. :)

I too have stayed there and I actually like it very much. The beds were awesome and the floors were tiled (I don't like walking barefoot on carpets that I didn't vacuum). Room was spotless. We took the bus and walked around the fort and we walked the other direction and ate at some great local places.

That's why I too don't like Expedia. Looks like it all worked out in the end. Did you happen to call the hotel directly with your reservation number? That would have been my next recommendation.

Bon Voyage

I didn't think I could contact the hotel directly. In the past I've found that I couldn't contact a hotel myself if I booked through a TA or a tour op. Another time I tried to change a flight I'd booked with Travelocity by talking to support at Delta directly, as getting through to Travelocity from Grand Cayman was a nightmare and getting me no where. They were both all confused about who should be doing the change, and in the end neither of them remembered to charge us. <shrug> After that fiasco I thought I'd try Expedia... <sigh> When I book an all-inclusive package through one of several Canadian sites like iTravel2000 or Escapes I have never had problems like this.

Oh well... it's sorted out and the hotel sounds like it will be just fine.

Hi,

We are also looking at the hotel for a pre-cruise stop over. We probably won't get out of the airport and to the hotel until at least 5pm, so not looking for much to do that night except grabbing a quick bite and crashing. Can anyone tell me if there is a liquor store, ect close to this hotel that we could walk to in the morning to pick up a few last minute items before heading to the ship?

Thanks

Robin

We booked the Holiday Inn Express for our pre-cruise night. We'll be getting in early in the day, so we'll be making full use of the hotel. No regrets there. I think it was a good choice.

The problem is I booked through Expedia and selected a non-smoking room, but when it was confirmed it said it was a smoking room. I requested the change, but they replied that there are only smoking rooms available. Funny, but when I go back on their site as if to book again, both smoking and non-smoking rooms come up for the same price. Also, when I go directly to the Holiday Inn's site the non-smoking room also comes up. I contacted them back to tell them this and they basically gave me the standard - too bad you aren't happy with our service - garbage, but they don't care. They said I could cancel and rebook, but ah.. the room cannot be changed or cancelled. So I am stuck

GRRrrrrr. I book through sites like Expedia so that I can pay in CAD and not have "surprises" with the exchange rate. But more and more I regret using sites like Expedia or Travelocity as their service stinks! Expedia NEVER again! BEWARE - your booking might just change by the time it comes back as confirmed.

Sorry for the rant... my actual question is: To anyone who has stayed there, do the rooms have balconies? It looks like they don't from the pictures? Please tell me the windows open to let some fresh air? Was anyone in a smoking room? If so, how was it?

Don't flame me smokers. My DH is a pack a day smoker, but I have trouble being in an enclosed space that is smokey. He doesn't like it either and only smokes outside. By beef is only with Expedia and their NON-service!

No hotel site will guarantee you a NS room, read the fine print.

It's happened to me. They won't do a thing, so I always book directly with the hotels now, much better chance of getting what you want.

I too have stayed there and I actually like it very much. The beds were awesome and the floors were tiled (I don't like walking barefoot on carpets that I didn't vacuum). Room was spotless. We took the bus and walked around the fort and we walked the other direction and ate at some great local places.

I know you reported the room was spotless, but do you really expect tiles floors to be cleaner than carpet ? :rolleyes:

How often do you see a maid with a mop??

Archived