tipping on excursions

madeth313

We are going on our first cruise in a couple of months. I have booked several tours (we are not utilizing the cruise ship tours). Do I tip...or is the price quoted include the tip?

I am the type of person, who, if the price quoted includes the tip, will tip additional if the person performing the service goes up and beyond what is expected.

Also, if it is expected to tip...what is the proper percentage...again, if warrented, I will increase the percentage.

We are doing the Southern Caribbean?

We usually tip 15%, but on a private excursion we will also ask the guide to recommend a local restaurant and invite them to eat with us and pick up their tab. We have been able to find a few great local restaurants and ask them for recommendations on what to order. We have never felt it necessary to do any of the above, we have truely enjoyed the company and learning a bit about the local cultures, customs and people this way!

I would say it depends on the price, type of tour, and how good the tour operator is. We are going to Alaska next month where flightseeing, dogsledding, train rides and other tours cost substantial amounts of money (some as high as $535 pp). I can honestly say that I will NOT be tipping 15-20% on this trip. If you think about it, the average person does not pay 15% for the onboard service charge ($9.75, $10, $12 pp pd) including tipping extra. For those that claim to tip 15 or 20% -more power to them.

I do agree with providing a meal for the driver, but tip what you feel is appropriate. There's no right or wrong amount because tips are appreciated, not mandatory.

If you feel your got good value for the price of the excursion, then tip. If not, don't! It's entirely up to you---there's no "rule" about it. While your guide will not turn down a tip, they aren't like waiters that EXPECT and RELY on tips....

So, do what you feel is warranted in your situation. We've had some guides who barely gave the minimum--no personality, basically just drove us...no tip. Others have been stellar, and gave us a great, memorable time....they got a tip!

The tip is not included & the guides will be sure to tell you repeatedly that they accept tips. It's actually obnoxious.

We've booked all independent tours in the past, and tips have never been mentioned by anyone part of the tour.

If the guide/driver makes a great impression or the tour wouldn't have been as good without their input/personality, we tip pretty generously. It's made us very happy that we've booked independently.

I'm wondering how many people tip on a small private excursion where it's clear that the tour guide is the owner/operator of the tour company. I know there are people who don't tip their hairdresser when they own the salon....

I was so tickled with my tour in Icy Strait Point with F.I.S.H.E.S. that I gave Floyd a nice tip as I got out of the van - and he looked very surprised!

We've booked all independent tours in the past, and tips have never been mentioned by anyone part of the tour.

I gotta book your tours.

Whether independent or through the cruise lines (or land based tours for that matter), the only tour I have ever been on where I wasn't hit over the head with the "opportunity" to tip my guides was Mandoo in Greneda. There's usually a sign near the entrance point & the driver. There is at least one announcement. It's really awful.

I worked my way through college & grad school in a service indurstry. I always tip & I tip generously for good service so I do find it offensive when they plug it shamelessly.

I think most people that operate excursions expect a tip. While apparently 15% is the "expected" amount, I tend to ignore that and usually tip around $5. If the tour operator has done something exceptional, it might be more, but that rarely happens.

And if I'm feeling bullied about being asked for a tip, I'll ignore the open hand at the end of the tour. :) Usually a small discreet notice near the front door of the bus is sufficient to remind me to tip.

I think most people that operate excursions expect a tip. While apparently 15% is the "expected" amount, I tend to ignore that and usually tip around $5. If the tour operator has done something exceptional, it might be more, but that rarely happens.

And if I'm feeling bullied about being asked for a tip, I'll ignore the open hand at the end of the tour. :) Usually a small discreet notice near the front door of the bus is sufficient to remind me to tip.

I totally agree - heck, one is often paying quite a bit for tours and if one has to be constantly reminded about tipping (which is of course always optional and the amount if given can be any amount by the guest), then forget it! I've paid through the nose and that's all they're getting! LOL

We're in the group of people that think that tipping on excursions is completely based upon the experience we receive and never feel required to give a tip. When we feel that we recieved exactly what we paid for there is no need to pay anything extra. When we feel that we recieved more than we paid for we often tip $5 pp at the end. We've been known to tip $20 pp at the end when we got WAY WAY more than what we paid for.:) Reminders from guides that customers should be tipping have no effect on us except of coarse when they overdo it and sometimes manage to loose the $5 pp they may have otherwise received when it becomes obnoxious and not simply a simple reminder. Never have had a guide that gave a really great tour fall into the obnoxious category which I think tends to say a lot about some tour guides !;):)

I gotta book your tours.

Belize - we use a guy named Maurice, and he should be the country's good will ambassador! Just him and his van, but he will customize a tour just for you. Can't take more than 6 people.

Juneau - Harv & Marv's for whale watching. They also can't take more than 6 per boat, but if you book early enough, you could maybe book both boats if you have more than 6.

Skagway - Chilkoot tours for the Yukon rail and coach 7 hr tour. Guide absolutely made the coach part of the trip.

Guatemala - Go with Gus tour. Absolutely phenomenal tour, and he, like Maurice, loves his country and wants to show it off.

All of these were amazing tours made so special by the guides, and tipping was never mentioned, and I don't remember any signs for it either.

Archived