Key West

On all the HAL cruises I've taken Key West has only been a port once. That was in Nov.08. Because we missed Grand Cayman ( I think :confused:)we got to spend extra time in Key West. It was the first time I had been there and I loved it.

If you like live music, drinking beer outside (i cannot believe you can get a beer at the drug store and take it "to go".) It's a very strange environment and I could not live there, but how sweet it is to visit. The music is truly phenomenal. Beer is good, too.

Key West is a neat port of call. The HOHO trolley is a great way to get around. And what about the chocolate covered frozen key lime pie on a stick?? Oh, man ... wish I had one of those now!

OMG, I am even more committed to this trip now :D

My sister and her husband booked the Nov 1 cruise today.

She called earlier and said to get on board.

I don`t relish flying 1000 miles for a one week cruise but I think the blond bombshell and I will go. We had to cancel two HAL cruises in the past eight months so we are overdue.:)

Rich

Has anyone noticed that Key West is rarely on a HAL cruise anymore?? (Just like Nassau)

Do you miss going there?

The Veendam was there February 16, 2009 when we were there (pre Eurodam cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale):

2425188170102790654S600x600Q85.jpg

Edited by Boytjie

I've only been to Key West one time and have been wanting to go back ever since. Wish they went there more often.

It was the first time I had ever had Key Lime pie....YUMMMM

Joanne

We have been there quite a few times -- but the last several times we were there we didn't get to dock at Mallory Square -- we ended up at the old military base.

The last time we were there was on the Veendam in 2008.

But we only spend a few hours there!! Years ago we went there on the Zaandam and had an entire day there.

By the time we lined up for the trolley/conch train to take us into town, there wasn't much time to do anything.

Oh Yeah -- Best Key Lime Pie on earth is here!!

My sister and her husband booked the Nov 1 cruise today.

She called earlier and said to get on board.

I don`t relish flying 1000 miles for a one week cruise but I think the blond bombshell and I will go. We had to cancel two HAL cruises in the past eight months so we are overdue.:)

Rich

We also do not like to fly from Pittsburgh just for a 7 day cruise.

Key West was on our 7 day Veendam cruise -- but we also did the 14 day cruise following it.

Go to Kermits for your frozen Key Lime pie on a stick - wonderful! Its located just off the waterfront, a bit of a walk from the ship though. Look for the baker standing on front waving at the folks on the Trolley as it passes. Also recommend Sebago for parasailing - nice folks and the price was half what they were charging on the ship tours. Kermits is one block from Sebago by the way.

DaveOKC

Oh Lord, Key Lime Pie AND Chocolate - that sounds like HEAVEN to me!!

Haven't been to Key West since our Nov 1999 Veendam cruise; we ended up in Key West because Hurricane Lenny made us divert from our original itinerary.

It's a fun place to forget all your cares and just BE!!!

We also do not like to fly from Pittsburgh just for a 7 day cruise.

Key West was on our 7 day Veendam cruise -- but we also did the 14 day cruise following it.

KK

That`s what I`m thinking about.

I booked the one weeker but I might have to hi-tail it to FLL upon disembarkment to find a 14 day cruise. I have some studying to do.

Rich

Go to Kermits for your frozen Key Lime pie on a stick - wonderful! Its located just off the waterfront, a bit of a walk from the ship though. Look for the baker standing on front waving at the folks on the Trolley as it passes. Also recommend Sebago for parasailing - nice folks and the price was half what they were charging on the ship tours. Kermits is one block from Sebago by the way.

DaveOKC

I'll second the recommendation for Kermits - my mouth waters just thinking about it! They also sell some excellent little key lime candies there as well.

I'd love to go back to Key West. Sadly, it seems to be on more short cruises than longer ones. Ryndam will be going there on its Wester Caribbean run this fall, and MSC has it included on one of their Caribbean routes as well, but most of the really good, all-day calls seem to be on short Royal Caribbean or Carnival cruises.

We will be there from noon till 6 pm, supposedly. Will we have time to kayak AND get a chocolate-covered frozen keylime pie on a stick? (Gotta start planning, y'know :) )

I'd forget about the kayak and just go for the key lime pie;):D.

I'd forget about the kayak and just go for the key lime pie;):D.

I agree. Ditch the kayak. You can do that anywhere!

With only 6 hours there -- actually less by the time you have to get back 1/2 hour before the ship sails -- you don't have time to do both.

I agree -- forget the kayak --- eat the Key Lime Pie!!

:eek: I can't believe you're telling me to eat instead of exercise. I gotta google and see what I can work out with an indy tour operator :eek: I will take your advice, though and forego the kayak if we must choose one!