Help choosing btw San Pedro or Long Beach hotel, before Carnival Splendor Aug. 30/09

Middleager

Hi. Please help us in hotel decision between San Pedro or Long Beach.

My wife and I will be flying into SFO then rent car to drive to Monterey, Ventura, then to Long Beach to stay about 3 nights (starting Aug. 27) before the Carnival Splendor Aug. 30 cruise.

This is what we'll be doing in Long Beach/San Pedro:

* Thr. Aug. 27, check into hotel, then I'll return car to Budget in Long Beach (249 E Ocean Blvd), then need to get back to hotel.

* On Fri. Aug. 28, take Catalina Express (out of either Long Beach or San Pedro depending on hotel location) to Catalina Island for diving/snorkeling.

* Sat. Aug. 29, rent a car (Enterprice in San Pedro at hotel, or Avis in Long Beach) to tour LA.

* Get on Carnival Splendor on Sun. Aug. 30 morning.

For priceline, I see that Crowne Plaza San Pedro goes for $65. This CP has shuttle that will take you to Catalina Express San Pedro pier (Aug. 28 morning), or to Carnival pier (Sun. Aug. 30). But their shuttle don't go into Long Beach.

The Long Beach 3-4* hotels can be won at $54 for Hilton, Westin or 4* Renaissance at as low as $60. But seems like most of those Long Beach hotels don't have shuttles.

How easy would it be to take the Long Beach free shuttles to get to the Long Beach Catalina Express terminal (I have diving gear roller bag and wife has snorkeling gear roller bag). Or should it just be a short quick taxi ride? I guess we'll also need taxi on morning to get on cruise ship.

The Catalina Express terminal in Long Beach is bigger, uses a bigger boat (1hr to Catalina Island vs the one from San Pedro takes 75min.) and slightly better schedule.

I see in Long Beach the free shuttle or the expensive Aquabus can get you around easily when we don't have luggage. There are more restaurant choices and I guess more to see/do.

--

I'm leaning toward the CP in San Pedro. But what are other pro/cons to consider between staying at the CP San Pedro vs a Long Beach hotel. People have won $65 for the Crowne Plaza San Pedro, or say $55 for a 3*+ hotel in Long Beach?

We stayed 3 nights in Long Beach at the Marriott Renaissance, our taxis were about $6 when we didn't feel like walking to the Harbor or Albertsons/Walmart or any restaurants.

We paid about $25 for the taxi to the San Pedro Pier but did see the hotels in San Pedro when we took a tour van to LA. We were happy where we stayed.

I can't answer all your detailed questions as we didn't do alot of that but had all good food, easy walking location and very nice people in Long Beach.

Good luck with your decision, MarAnn

we are sailing on the splendor in september. after ALOT of long hard research regarding hotels in the area, i finally setteled with the long beach hilton. i found through these boards, that if you call and ask them for the carnival cruise rate....you get free shuttle service to and from pier, to comp. drinks at lobby bar, free parking if needed, free wifi in room, and one other thing i think. you get all this for the rate of 89 per night. if you have done your research for long beach or san pedro hotels....this is a great great deal. plus you dont have to purchase in advance and you can cancel your reservation up until the night before your stay, unlike priceline.

plus they offer early check in. i have stayed at the crowne plaza before and was completley unsatisfied with my stay there for numerous reasons. plus it is not convinientally located to anything. the hilton ive heard is not located near a whole lot, however the free pasport bus stops right outside and can take you basically anywhere you would want to go from wal mart to the queen mary. and if you were to try and do priceline for the hilton you would not get any of the above metnioned ammenities plus there is no gurantee what hotel you would get. also the hilton said that if for any reason they do not have a shuttle available for the time you want to leave they will pay for a taxi!!!

good luck!!

We sailed out of San Pedro in June, but we stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn in Long Beach. It is within walking distance of the Queen Mary or the Carnival cruise terminal (a little longer walk, don't do it if you have lots of luggage). A cab would be cheap. The Residence Inn is brand new and beautiful. All rooms are suite rooms and we paid $149+tx. There is a nice breakfast included.

The Hotel Maya is next door, looked old and they are rehabbing. Either one of these hotels are the closest to your port. Do not stay at the Queen Mary, it looks old and smells. But good to walk through. There is a water taxi for $1 that would take you across the bay to the Catalina Express from either the Hotel Maya or Queen Mary.

Call Avis and see if they could bring you to the Residence Inn after dropping the car off.

I wouldn't stay in San Pedro if you are leaving from Long Beach, it is a 15 minute cab ride.

BTW.... If you need a car service after your cruise, LA Car service is very reasonable. lacarservice.com

(There are 2 Residence Inns in Long Beach. This is the new one: Residence Inn Long Beach Downtown

600 Queensway Drive,

Long Beach, California 90802 USA

Phone: 1-562-495-0700 Fax: 1-562-495-4194)

Have fun! We loved Long Beach. :)

Call Avis and see if they could bring you to the Residence Inn after dropping the car off.

I wouldn't stay in San Pedro if you are leaving from Long Beach, it is a 15 minute cab ride.

:)

So how much would the cab fare be from Long Beach (your hotel) to San Pedro pier then? Is that what you did or where you driving? Did the Marriott have an airport shuttle from long beach?

Thanks

So how much would the cab fare be from Long Beach (your hotel) to San Pedro pier then? Is that what you did or where you driving? Did the Marriott have an airport shuttle from long beach?

Thanks

From the Residence Inn Marriott to the San Pedro pier it was $23 + tip. We took the wild ride in the cab! He drove very fast. :)

The cab company has minivans if you need them for all your luggage.

I don't think the hotel has a shuttle, you might want to call them.

We stayed at the Hilton last September and consider that Passport Bus a HUGE plus. Went just about everywhere on it. Very, very easy to get from the pier to the car rental, from the hotel to shopping and all sorts of dining choices. Got the hotel on Priceline. I think any of the better hotels in Long Beach - Hilton, Hyatt, Renaissance are all well located and nice hotels so if you got any of them on Priceline I think you'd be happy.

most of the Downtown LB hotels do not provide an airport shuttle. It is a flat taxi rate of $23 from most of the hotels. $30 from the ones across the bridge by the Queen Mary.

most of the Downtown LB hotels do not provide an airport shuttle. It is a flat taxi rate of $23 from most of the hotels. $30 from the ones across the bridge by the Queen Mary.

Not sure if this applies to OP, but wouldn't it be more than that in a cab to LAX? Probably more like $50-60?

Hi there,

I know you've done alot of research for your triip. Why would you want to stay in San Pedro isn't Splendor departing from Long Beach at the Carnival Cruise port? Oh bye the way, the Passport (the free downtown bus) stops at Catalina Landing for your trip to Catalina.

Enjoy

Winnie

Hi there,

I know you've done alot of research for your triip. Why would you want to stay in San Pedro isn't Splendor departing from Long Beach at the Carnival Cruise port? Oh bye the way the Passport (the free downtown bus) stops at Catalina Landing for your trip to Catalina.

Enjoy

Winnie

We sailed out of San Pedro in June, but we stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn in Long Beach. It is within walking distance of the Queen Mary or the Carnival cruise terminal (a little longer walk, don't do it if you have lots of luggage). A cab would be cheap. The Residence Inn is brand new and beautiful. All rooms are suite rooms and we paid $149+tx. There is a nice breakfast included.

(There are 2 Residence Inns in Long Beach. This is the new one: Residence Inn Long Beach Downtown

600 Queensway Drive,

Long Beach, California 90802 USA

Phone: 1-562-495-0700 Fax: 1-562-495-4194)

Have fun! We loved Long Beach. :)

We booked this hotel for our 8/16 Carnival Splendor cruise.

It is called the " Snooze & Cruise " package that includes 1 nite stay, 7 days parking, breakfast and a complimentary shuttle to and from the cruise terminal for $169+tax. Not a bad deal when the parking at the terminal is $105. I found it on the hotels website under "deals" or "specials"

Happy Cruising!

Toni

Thanks for the info. Trough priceline, the Crowne Plaza San Pedro can be had for $65 (my BIL just got it for that price), and other 3* hotels at Long Beach can be had for $54, I don't intend to pay the $100+ that had been suggested.

I'm still bidding on PL for less than, but it is getting closer. I guess soon I'll have to raise the bid price, just to make sure I get a hotel.

For priceline, I see that Crowne Plaza San Pedro goes for $65. This CP has shuttle that will take you to Catalina Express San Pedro pier (Aug. 28 morning), or to Carnival pier (Sun. Aug. 30). But their shuttle don't go into Long Beach.

The Carnival pier is in the Port of Long Beach.

Check out using Enterprise auto rental, which has a dropoff spot in San Pedro. Being in San Pedro is much less hectic than downtown Long Beach. Plus, the Catalina terminal in San Pedro is next to the cruise terminal (but, not for Carnival) terminal; and, very close to the hotels (CP). Better food options in San Pedro.

I just got the Hilton Long Beach at $54/night Aug. 27 on Priceline, for 3.5* hotel. Added a night for Aug. 28. That 1 more night seems to be the limit on PL. So tomorrow I'll call the hotel to ask to add one more night Aug. 29.

Guess we'll be taking the Passport bus a bit.

Anyne know how much the taxi is to the Carnival cruise terminal (we'll need it Sun. Aug. 30 morning)?

Thanks.

After getting the Hilton for $54 for Aug. 27, then added one night for the same amount for Aug. 28, we wanted to add the 3rd night. Turned out the hotel or priceline couldn't do it. I then bid $54 for Aug. 29, didn't get it. Upped it to $55, didn't get it, upped it to $56, then got the Hyatt.

Ha, so now we are at the Hilton for 2 nights, and then one more night at the Hyatt. We happened to booked an Avis car for Aug. 29, to go touring in LA. So I'll pick up the car, take our luggage from Hilton to Hyatt. If the room is available they'll let us do early check-in, if not they'll store our luggage for us. A little hassle, but not much. We saved a lot, with the PL rates, and will get to experience two 3.5* hotels.

The Aquabus and Aqualink look interesting. Maybe we'll just hop on to get a ride all over the harbour, at a very cheap ticket price.

Archived