Bus info needed from Nafplion to Mycenae

Sherry Baby

We wish to have a DIY trip to Mycenae from Nafplion, when we have a port call. We have from 8:00-6:00 in port, traveling on Norwegian Jade in October '09. I have read of bus service that drops people off 2 km away from the ruins, then I read of being dropped off AT the ruins. Is this bus available? Has anyone done this? Is it ktel bus, that goes this route 3 times a day? The info is very unclear & conflicting.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Another place where you might want to ask about this is Tripadvisor (a sister site of CC), which is very helpful with info on land travel. I use TA a lot when planning our port days, since we do most ports on our own. TA has local destination experts who respond to questions, in addition to the responses from travelers. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g319780-i8802-Nauplion_Peloponnese.html

We wish to have a DIY trip to Mycenae from Nafplion, when we have a port call. We have from 8:00-6:00 in port, traveling on Norwegian Jade in October '09. I have read of bus service that drops people off 2 km away from the ruins, then I read of being dropped off AT the ruins. Is this bus available? Has anyone done this? Is it ktel bus, that goes this route 3 times a day? The info is very unclear & conflicting.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Here are the times: http://www.ktel-argolis.gr/en/schedules_13.asp

I think ktel can reserve a bus (if you are a group of 40-50 persons) for Mycenae ... if you want I can ask a friend of mine who is ktel's officer...

Fresh News!!!:p

Ktel bus from Nafplion to Mycenae:

10:00, 12:00, 14:00

from Mycenae to Nafplion:

11:00, 13:00, 15:00

The last stop of this bus is next to the entrance of archaeological site (not 2 kilometers before)

The bus station map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Odos+Miaouli%2F%CE%91%CE%BA%CF%84%CE%AE+%CE%9C%CE%B9%CE%B1%CE%BF%CF%8D%CE%BB%CE%B7&daddr=Leoforos+Syngrou%2F%CE%A3%CF%85%CE%B3%CE%B3%CF%81%CE%BF%CF%8D&hl=en&geocode=FWg7PQIdHNdbAQ%3BFR4zPQIdPuhbAQ&mra=cc&dirflg=w&sll=37.565926,22.802703&sspn=0.006021,0.009645&ie=UTF8&ll=37.566496,22.798712&spn=0.006021,0.009645&t=h&z=17

point A: pier

point B: bus station

Fafos ... thanks for being our 'local destination expert' on Cruise Critic. I think it's a great feature of Tripadvisor ... and you are doing a wonderful job of it here!:)

Yes, I think to ask payment for my services:p

next year I plan visit USA for a Caribbean cruise (and for see some relatives and clients).. you don't help me?:)

next year I plan visit USA for a Caribbean cruise (and for see some relatives and clients).. you don't help me?:)

Yes, we'll all gladly return the favor.

Be sure to visit Canada one of these days too, if you haven't already.:)

Yes, we'll all gladly return the favor.

Be sure to visit Canada one of these days too, if you haven't already.:)

I'll stay for a week at Chicago so I believe is easy to visit and Canada..

Thank you for the help, especially Fafos. I want to feel secure that there actually is a bus for this destination, and also to return to Nafplion. It is only 2 of us, not enough to charter a bus full.

This sounds very good to me.

Have you considered just renting a car? Driving in Greece is quite easy as long as you have a decent map (the rental car dealers will give you a map) or rent a GPS. A one day rental car will generally cost less than $100 (sometimes the local rental car places are much cheaper) and give you total flexibility. If renting a car anywhere in Europe it is a good idea to reserve a car on-line and let the rental car company know which ship you are on.

Hank

Having driven there, and in fact from Napflion to Mycenae, I would not just rent a car for this purpose, since it's really fairly close to the city. And navigating around Napflion can be a real trial--yes, a GPS would definitely help. If the bus is reliable, and there are just 2 of you, I would go for it.

Unless you want to see other places. With that much time in port, with a car, you could add Epidavros, for sure. And of course with more than 2 people, it could be very economical. Just make sure to have a good map and directions, plus the GPS if you can get it.

I have no idea about rental agencies in Napflion itself, since we rented elsewhere.

Having driven there, and in fact from Napflion to Mycenae, I would not just rent a car for this purpose, since it's really fairly close to the city. And navigating around Napflion can be a real trial--yes, a GPS would definitely help. If the bus is reliable, and there are just 2 of you, I would go for it.

Unless you want to see other places. With that much time in port, with a car, you could add Epidavros, for sure. And of course with more than 2 people, it could be very economical. Just make sure to have a good map and directions, plus the GPS if you can get it.

I have no idea about rental agencies in Napflion itself, since we rented elsewhere.

The problem with Nafplion - Argolis roads is that there are new routes and the maps don't have these routes.. the roads at Argolis state are not the best of the world:cool:

We are planning to rent a car in Napflion and driving to Corinth. We would like to drive strait there and come back along the coast. Would this work? How much time would we need? Can anyone recomend a car rental company that we can rent at the port?

Thanks.

We are planning to rent a car in Napflion and driving to Corinth. We would like to drive strait there and come back along the coast. Would this work? How much time would we need? Can anyone recomend a car rental company that we can rent at the port?

Thanks.

What do you want visit at Korinth?

We would like to see the ruins and canal.

Ancient Corinth is 1 hour from Nafplion by car.. Ancient Corinth is 15-20 minutes from canal.. but...

there are 2 routes from Nafplion to Korinthos:

1. is from Argos town

2. is from new road Tiryns-Mykines and this is the best... see a map here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Odos+Nafpliou-Neas+Kiou%2F%CE%9F%CE%B4%CF%8C%CF%82+%CE%9D%CE%B1%CF%85%CF%80%CE%BB%CE%AF%CE%BF%CF%85-%CE%9D%CE%AD%CE%B1%CF%82+%CE%9A%CE%AF%CE%BF%CF%85&daddr=Tyrinthas-Mykinon%2F%CE%A4%CF%8D%CF%81%CE%B9%CE%BD%CE%B8%CE%B1%CF%82-%CE%9C%CF%85%CE%BA%CE%B7%CE%BD%CF%8E%CE%BD+to:Tyrinthas-Mykinon%2F%CE%A4%CF%8D%CF%81%CE%B9%CE%BD%CE%B8%CE%B1%CF%82-%CE%9C%CF%85%CE%BA%CE%B7%CE%BD%CF%8E%CE%BD+to:37.902491,22.884521&hl=en&geocode=Fd48PQIdqPBbAQ%3BFYt2PgIdbP9bAQ%3BFQydQAIdHr1aAQ%3B&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=3&sz=11&via=1,2&sll=37.775057,22.793884&sspn=0.384259,0.617294&ie=UTF8&ll=37.746829,22.798004&spn=0.76881,1.234589&z=10

How do you go there...

Take the car from port and follow the road to Argos...

After 4-5 kilometers you will see the Ancient Acropolis of Tiryns (you can visit this too)... there you will see a sign who write to "Athens".. turn right..

After 2 kilometers you see a new sign to "Athens"... turn again right.. after some meters you must meet a bigger road... turn left and go to Mykines..

After 10-15 kilometers this road end to a smaller.. you follow the sign to "Athens" or "Corinth"...

After 2-3 kilometers you will see a train station at village Dervenakia.. you must turn left.. NOT RIGHT!!!

You follow the signs and after 3-4 kilometers you are in main road Corinth-Athens... after some kilometers you will see the sign to Ancient Corinth..

From Ancient Corinth you must go to Corinth for see the canal... after see canal, follow the opposite route but you DON'T need go to Ancient Corinth again.. just follow the signs to ARGOS...

if you have time you can visit Mykines too...

About rent cars..

http://www.hermestravel.gr/En/

http://www.rent-a-car-in-greece.com/nafplio-port/index.htm

http://www.almacar.gr/en/profile.html

if you come at Nafplion the high season (July, August) better reserve a car some weeks before..

Thanks Hlitner, Wendy, Fafos, and all who replied to my question. I think my most comfortable choice is the bus to Mycenae. We could rent a car, but as stated, it's really not very far to go. We'll return to Nafplion with time to enjoy the sights there as well.

I hope you enjoy, it's magical, I think.

As for driving to Corinth, watch out, even the best highways are slow in the Peloponnese. I guess the new highway is fast, but once you get off it, not so much. We stayed off the big highway, and found it was kind of like driving through northern Scotland--lots of mountains and hairpin turns.

I haven't seen ancient Corinth, so I really can't compare, but Epidavros is great, and Myceanae is stunning.

Archived