Celebrity Mercury Reviews - all over the map.

CMF

I'm trying to hone in on our Spring 2010 cruise and I am taking a hard look at the Celebrity Mercury sailing out of Charleston on March 29. The itinerary looks good, the sailing date is perfect, the prices a great, we can drive to the port so we can save on airfare, they have good casual dining options (we are traveling with three young children so this is a must); so what's not to like? What's there to worry about? The reviews!

The reviews are all over the map. I mean, is the ship really rusty and are there burnt out light bulbs everywhere? I'm going back to re read some of the reviews, but I am hoping to start a dialogue with this thread that will help me to reconcile the good with the bad.

Charles

Over time, I've learned that reviews are a lot like statistics. Take the very worst ones and the very best ones and throw them out. Then, with the ones that are left, separate facts from opinions. It's one thing to say, t"he ship is rusty", and another to say, "I saw a rusty spot."

My guess is that the ship is showing some signs of age. Every time the subject comes up, the Mercury lovers all talk about how great the crew is, thus neatly sidestepping the question. On the other hand, if it was really bad, it would be mentioned in every review.

The reviews have not stopped me from taking our first Celebrity cruise (now officially less than one month away), but I will be keeping a factual eye open for obvious mis-maintenance. If I spot a lifeboat with a hole in the bottom, or if the tines on all of the forks are bent, or my seat in the showroom collapses, I'll report it here.

CMF -- we are going on the March 29th cruise and it will be our third time on Mercury. You should come over to our roll call.

As for reviews -- they really are subjective -- I've never had a bad cruise on any Celebrity ship, despite negative reviews. I'm very easy to please and don't look for wear and tear. Keep in mind the Mercury is over ten years old and has 1800 passengers week in and week out. She may show some signs of age, but from what I have read is she is very well maintained and the crew is awesome. That is enough for me:). I prefer to keep an positive outlook.

So, come join us -- it is a great group of people;)

Lucy

A cruise is what you make of it. I don't care about things like rust and even the occassional burnt out bulb. As long as the food and service are good, I'm happy.

I'm also sailing on March 29 for my honeymoon so I really know I won't care about those minor details. Come and join us! :)

I'm one of those 'X' lovers - been on M-Class and going on S-Class in Nov. We've sailed on the Mercury twice and loved her. People talk about the wear of a 10yr-old ship, but we found her in great shape last year and that was after one of the 'rust all over, bulbs out' reviews. I'll be frank, I don't count bulbs and yes, I saw 'rust' and our sink had a water stain. Yup. And I didn't ask for a full refund!

But I find the Mercury to be a winner because of the ship layout. Common areas are set up to allow more privacy while having drinks, you'll find areas to sit and play cards, enjoy friends. Our shipmates took kids and they loved the programs. Kids didn't want to leave the ship at ports and just stay and play.

But it is mainly subjective taste on foods and how shipshape things are. I'd hate to have some of the reviewers over to my house - and I bet their home would flunk their own 'inspections'. I don't inspect, I enjoy. Saw one woman walking around with a pad writing down notes whenever she saw a blemish. Some of those 'reviews' are written up in prep to ask for compensation, which some people seem to press for more then a few times. Others have legit gripes. The difference I usually use to measure is, if the complaint is about their specific cabin and didnt' get taken care of immediately, then it's worth noting. If it's about some worn carpet in a hall, or a general "ship in terrible shape', then I personally ignore the review.

I was in the US Navy for 20+ years - an old saying of sailors is: If it moves, salute it. It if doesn't, scrape and paint it. Metal moving through saltwater tends to RUST. You'll see daily cleaning of brightwork and so on on all cruise ships.

Pick a cruise for the itinerary, general approach of a cruise line, cost and schedule. I'd take most opinions of dining and cleanliness with a BIG pile of salt.

I think you'll love the Mercury, but we loved all our cruises, some on 'X' some on RCL and Carnival (yes, even that) and one on Princess. Plus and minus on each, but for us, 'X' meets our nitch a bit better.

Denny

I'm trying to hone in on our Spring 2010 cruise and I am taking a hard look at the Celebrity Mercury sailing out of Charleston on March 29. The itinerary looks good, the sailing date is perfect, the prices a great, we can drive to the port so we can save on airfare, they have good casual dining options (we are traveling with three young children so this is a must); so what's not to like? What's there to worry about? The reviews!

The reviews are all over the map. I mean, is the ship really rusty and are there burnt out light bulbs everywhere? I'm going back to re read some of the reviews, but I am hoping to start a dialogue with this thread that will help me to reconcile the good with the bad.

Charles

I think there are two reasons for the discrepancy. One is that condition of a ship is very important to some people, but not to others. Another is that when we booked our sky suite on Mercury we paid three times as much as a passenger who booked an ocean view cabin and I think there is a relationship between what people pay for a cruise and their expectations, especially when the cabin itself has considerable deferred maintenance.

Charles

Hi Charles:) Reviews of every ship vary. You can have 2 people

on the same exact sailing where one has a terrible time while

the other has a terrific time.

Mercury was built in 1997 so that would make her old for a

cruiseship. As for being an old rust bucket, I would sail her all the time

if possible:)..

I am going for the 7th time in September and everytime I go

back on I keep remembering why.....in my opinion, she is lovely.:)

Easy to navigate, not a "floating city" like the giant megaships.

Staff and crew who are always there with a friendly smile and good

morning, or whatever the time of day happens to be.:)

I know I am going to have a wonderful time:D and I guess it comes

with age;)....because the negatives just don't enter into my equation

anymore.

I agree with Denny, each time I sail I always have a

wonderful cruise. No matter what ship. But Mercury is just special

to me, although I realize everyone does not feel that way.

After all, there are lots of ships out there and what is wonderful

to me someone else might hate.....strong word, I know. But

as in everything in this world.....different strokes for different folks!

The Mercury is a beautiful ship. All Celebrity ships are being constantly maintained - you might always find a blemish, but you should never find one which negatively impacts the pleasure of your vacation and cruising. We were in the Mercury in 2008 to Alaska - she is not showing her age! http://www.proszowski.com/photo_albums/2008_Alaska_Cruise/Photos.html

We were just on Mercury the end of May to Alaska. We thought the ship was in fine shape. The decor is very classy/traditional, so it does not look dated. Yes, as with any ship, there are spots here and there that could use a touch up, but the crew is constantly working hard cleaning and repairing.

We found the crew and service to be outstanding. The ship is a good size for us, not too small and not gigantic. It is easy to find your way around. We will be back on Mercury January 2010 out of Baltimore.

Mercury is our favorite ship and we love the layout, the dining experience, the Cova Cafe, and we especially love the crew onboard. I believe that every ship has a personality from the Captain down and Mercury is a winner as far as I'm concerned. Can't remember anything negative from our wine cruise last October but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend her to friends and family - go for it!

Am I correct in understanding the Mercury to be a sister ship to the Century? Has the Mercury been updated like the Century? I have only been on the "new" Century and I have read comments people liked it better before its update.

Am I correct in understanding the Mercury to be a sister ship to the Century? Has the Mercury been updated like the Century? I have only been on the "new" Century and I have read comments people liked it better before its update.

No, she has not....they added some new balconies but did not

put her through a "Century type overhaul".

They are still both C Class ships but Mercury does not have a

Specialty Restaurant or Aqua Spa Cafe.

And Mercury still has the "T" Pool that many folks love:)

When they updated Century they removed the T pool.

The Century, Galaxy, and Mercury are sister C class ships, but unlike M class ships they are not identical. The original Century was smaller than Mercury, as well as more traditional and elegant in its design while Mercury is more modern.

Thanks for the background, I love Celebrity's M-class ships but I was not in love with post-rennovation century. The T-pool is a huge draw for us, but we will miss Murano's. I don't remember coming across the aqua spa cafe on Century at all, but we did enjoy it on Constellation-- although more because it made me feel healthy than because I found it tasty :p

I think we would give Mercury a try if the dates and itinerary were right. We are debating a quick NW trip this fall.

Thanks for the background, I love Celebrity's M-class ships but I was not in love with post-rennovation century. The T-pool is a huge draw for us, but we will miss Murano's. I don't remember coming across the aqua spa cafe on Century at all, but we did enjoy it on Constellation-- although more because it made me feel healthy than because I found it tasty :p

I think we would give Mercury a try if the dates and itinerary were right. We are debating a quick NW trip this fall.

Hi Jenn, the AquaSpa Cafe on Century is forward......right before

the actual Spa area. (Basically in the same hallway....starboard).

Some folks seem to approach each cruise like they are inspectors with a checklist. Many of them never seem to be really satisfied with their cruise as they are rating all those things.

Others (like us) don't pay any attention to the small stuff and have always had great cruises.

The fact is, the food, decor, cleanliness, condition, service, entertainment, etc on the Mercury is a heckuva lot better than what we have at our home;):D.

The main factor is attitude-you will have a wonderful cruise if you decide to do so:).

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I've never been on the Mercury so I can't comment on the ship (although I love many of her itiniaries) but I do want to add on the other side of this debate that sometimes a more modern ship is just more comfortable to sail. For example, when we took the 3 Princess cruises in the early 2000s, they were the latest and greatest ships of the day.

I could appreciate a far superior sound system for the shows, better overall ventillation in the cabins and public spaces, and a more stable, less vibrating ship when cruising at faster speeds...

This is in comparison to the cruises we took in the mid-90s on older ships. We were very pleased with the "better technology" on a modern fleet. That is worth considering more so than a paint chip someplace or a stain in the sink, IMHO.

Katherine

We were on the Mercury in 2008 as well. She is a beautiful ship - just not quite as gleamy and shiny as the Solstice! Maintenance on cruise ships is constant, and Celebrity ships are not neglected in any manner. My opinion would be that no aspect of Mercury's age would impact any of your vacation enjoyment. http://www.proszowski.com/photo_albums/2008_Alaska_Cruise/Photos.html

We are booked in a Penthouse on the Mercury 2010 and will be spending just for the room $10K! YES she may has not the newest technology, but regardless, I bet you can see rust already on the Solstice as well as some wear and tear!

It is normal for cruise ships, who have thousands of people walking over carpets and just using its equipment to maybe look a bit tired sometimes.

I rather sail on a ship, which is still a ship and do not care of the here and there rust, since it is normal on the ocean! You can find it as well on any other ship in the world from Economy to Mega Luxury and people who are running around to find just things like that to complain about are just NUTS! I guess there is never a lightbulb in their home burning out!

We just returned from Alaska on the Mercury on the 19th and I was amazed at how 'sparkling' it has been kept over the years. I personally like it's smaller size and layout and as others have said you can't beat the service onboard. Didn't notice rust or any particular wear and tear issues myself.

For those "foodies" amongst us; I have to say 'X' seems to be really maintaining their good quality IMHO -- didn't have a meal or dessert which wasn't extremely to my liking ... ;)

What can I say -- chalk me up as another person in favour of Mercury!

Dave

Archived