How's the house wine? Veendam

raskul

We're sailing on the Veendam in September, I wondered if anyone has good or bad comments about the house pouring wine? I was thinking of getting the card, but if it's unpleasant I'll pay for the good stuff/bring my own.

We drink any white and lighter reds, generally decent California wines.

Thanks!

We think it's pretty decent. I like the Pinot Grigio and DW likes the Cabernet Sauvignon. However, before you buy the card I suggest you try one glass each of a red and a white. Maybe a bartender could give you a sample sip of each. I don't know about that, as I've never asked.

We sailed Veendam in January and I used the wine card. I stuck to Cabernet and found it quite good for the money. DW is fond of the sweeter whites and blush wines and I heard no complaints from that department. I do agree, however, that prudence dictates you try a glass before going for the card.

The amount seems to depend on the server. I had one wine steward that would pour an exact amount, and I had another on the same cruise that would pour until you told her to stop. Obviously, I LOVED the second one!!

The house wine was o.k., not bad, not good. It served it's purpose. The whites were better than the reds. If you are hesitant, try a glass before you purchase the wine card.

The pour amount was decent..I'd estimate 6oz.?

It really depends what type of wine you normally drink. If you were going to buy a $15 bottle of wine and bring it on board you would probably be very satisfied with the ship's house wines. If you taste is more sophisticated and you can appreciate a more expensive and complex wine, then I would recommend to bring your own on board.

As for the pour, it really depends on the server. My husband and I were recently on a 10 day cruise and we used the wine card exclusively at dinner. The steward was generous - often refilling without punching. Of course, he received a very generous tip at the end of the cruise. And even if he didn't refill without punching, the wine card is still a good deal for people who don't consider themselves experts.

"If you were going to buy a $15 bottle of wine and bring it on board you would probably be very satisfied with the ship's house wines. If you taste is more sophisticated and you can appreciate a more expensive and complex wine, then I would recommend to bring your own on board."

I'm not unsophisticated, nor is my palate, but we're both cheap.

Can anyone suggest what the comparable wine store brands would be?

I'm a cheap date - try not to pay over $15 a bottle at the wine store - so I'm assuming that the wine card would work for us.

In the USA probably something akin to a Kendall-Jackson or if an Australian-- DeBortoli.

The servings were average--no more than 6oz and no free refills for us.

Also, I hesitate to whine about my wine, but.......I will anyway. :D

Is the glass of wine you get on a wine card a decent glass or would it fit in the espresso cup?

Sorry....just had to ask....

Most Bar Stewards serve a 4 ounce glass.

Every once in a while you will get a Bar Server who will be generous.

That hasn't happened to us in quite a while.

Archived