No Need to Call Am Ex

sail7seas

We have always called AMEX and told them when we would be out of town -- for both of our cards.

They have always appreciated us calling them to notify them of this.

Will be curious when we call them and see what happens.

Sail -- enjoy your convention!!

:confused: Convention? :confused: Huh.......

I've never been to a convention and we are not attending one for our upcoming trip.

Actually, we're going to an out of town Wedding with a large group of our friends. :D

Then, of course, 'our' Maasdam for our Anniversary Cruise.

Then Westerdam. (I took your advice, KK, and decided it was time we saw for ourselves the ship many rave about. :)

Then..... lots more cruises booked. :)

I mentioned convention because I know there is a lawyer convention in Chicago -- opps - it is already starting -- I think.

I hope you enjoy the Westerdam as much as we have enjoyed her.

Cruises -- taking fewer -- I have had a ton of health issues this summer -- had to cancel a couple of cruises.

Don't see us cruising much any more.

I mentioned convention because I know there is a lawyer convention in Chicago -- opps - it is already starting -- I think.

Cruises -- taking fewer -- I have had a ton of health issues this summer -- had to cancel a couple of cruises.

You are mistaken. I am not a lawyer and I expect NO response to this post, KK. No reply required.

I am sorry to hear of your health problems and hope you feel better soon.

But doesn't HAL tell you to call your ccc and let them know they'll be doing a hold? (Sometimes I wonder if I just imagine all this stuff!)

I did that and told AmEx that we were traveling and the nice guy said - "Have a great trip. Anything else we can do for you?" And I wanted to say - send $$$.

But doesn't HAL tell you to call your ccc and let them know they'll be doing a hold? (Sometimes I wonder if I just imagine all this stuff!)

I did that and told AmEx that we were traveling and the nice guy said - "Have a great trip. Anything else we can do for you?" And I wanted to say - send $$$.

A quick glance at our Am Ex history would show time and time and time again charges to HAL for deposits, final payments and on-board bills. They know that is normal and usual for us. ;) All these years, all these cruises, even their most inexperienced and newest employee would never question that it was actually us on an HAL ship. :D

Funny ab

I always call my credit card companies before leaving on a cruise to alert them that I will be out of the country and give them a list of the countries I will be visiting - I have never been told that it wasn't necessary. It just seems like common sense to me or maybe a case of CYA;):D.

As far as the driver's license goes: hey, I live in Southern California - any time I use a credit card I immediately produce my driver's license, it's just habit here. I have to admit that in a couple of countries I have been told politely "that's not necessary Maam" - whoa, they must have a lot more honest people there than we do here; and then there is always the case of where they look at me in surprise and wonder why I think I need to do that. I have no problem with producing any kind of ID and I do think that it is for my protection, and if it's for theirs that's fine with me also.

Valerie:)

Yonnie: I am so sorry to hear of your "ton of health issues this summer". Despite the fact that you will be taking fewer cruises in the forseeable future I hope that all your cruises will be a ton of fun.

I hope you feel better soon! You are a huge resource for many on this board and I don't like hearing you are under the weather. Take care!

No it's everywhere. And it DOES protect you. If you're asked for your Driver's License the clerk is checking that you ARE the person named on the credit card.

Say you're a thief. You've either stolen the mail and gotten a credit card statment not your own. Or you've found a valid number online, or you work in retail and been copying down numbers from customers.

There are machines that you can buy on EBAY, craigslist and other places that will produce a credit card with your stolen numbers. Then you are free to go to any establishment and charge away, then sell off your merchandise.

The actual credit card holder will find out only in 30 days (you'll be long gone) and only if they check the charges. Maybe you have lots of numbers, maybe you only charge one item on each card.

The card holder has to dispute the charges, which can lead to a hold on the account and you loses the privilege of charging that card again, till dispute is resolved. Meanwhile that balance until verified as fradulent shows up in your credit report.

Now isn't pulling out your DL everytime a LOT less hassel than that? So stop complaining and thank the clerks that offer to check. They are doing YOU a favor.

I completely agree...

We had our AMEX card stolen and what stopped the thief was when they asked for a picture ID. We were thrilled this crook was stopped dead in his tracks and were very thankful that the clerk asked for additional ID.

We also check our accounts daily, but we've have credit card fraud and it's a mess to straighten out, so I'd much rather that a clerk somewhere along the line asks for ID and stops the charging before I can figure it out. We had someone who charged 30k on our Visa card and the only reason it was stopped was because the person started charging $2,500 per purchase. This all happened within a matter of hours!! So I am never offended when a clerk asks me for ID, although I must say, rarely are we asked for ID.

Before 9/11 we were in Morocco and my Son-in -Law charged on his card and I on ours, having different salesman on different floors of a carpet store. Mine went through, but his CC called Morocco and made him give them enough information they knew it was his card.:)

Picture ID:

I'm always happy when asked to show my ID!:D Many purchases you handle your own card and the clerk never sees it, them you make a mark on a machine, and the clerk gives you a receipt.:( You can scribble anything, or use a name like Micky Mouse, it makes no difference, the charge is to the card regardless who used it.

Asking for a picture ID will protect the store against most fraud, but I don't want the hassel of having to prove I did not authorize the use of the card at that time.:eek::eek:

I completely agree...

We had our AMEX card stolen and what stopped the thief was when they asked for a picture ID. We were thrilled this crook was stopped dead in his tracks and were very thankful that the clerk asked for additional ID.

We also check our accounts daily, but we've have credit card fraud and it's a mess to straighten out, so I'd much rather that a clerk somewhere along the line asks for ID and stops the charging before I can figure it out. We had someone who charged 30k on our Visa card and the only reason it was stopped was because the person started charging $2,500 per purchase. This all happened within a matter of hours!! So I am never offended when a clerk asks me for ID, although I must say, rarely are we asked for ID.

30K....sounds like the credit card company should have been questioning charges that high. I don't know....maybe that is normal spending for you depending on if you have a business I guess. My credit card bills are high...but not that high:D. I don't want to have to produce ID each time......and I'm willing to assume the risk for that.....but I'm not given that as a choice. I guess that's all part of living in a large city and having people with nothing better to do with their time then pull credit card scams.

No...no it's not doing me a favor. I check my charges online so I would see fraud right away and dispute it.....so it's not to protect me. Let me guess....you work in a store or own one:rolleyes:. I'm sorry but I do not agree.......so thanks, but I will complain.

I respectfully disagree. It is to protect not only you but the store as well. Credit card fraud and theft is alive and well. I always appreciate it when I'm asked for ID and am happy to produce proof that I am indeed the person named on the card. It gives me comfort to know that merchants are trying to prevent use of stolen credit cards.

If your card is used fraudulently and you dispute the charge, who do you think takes the hit for that purchase? That's right, the merchant. They then pass all these losses (and, there are LOTS of them) onto you, the consumer.

Appreciate that merchants are looking after your, and their, financial well-being. It keeps the bad guys at bay and assists with the rising cost of goods.

And, I do not work for nor own a store...never have and never will. I'm a professional in the legal field.

Diane

30K....sounds like the credit card company should have been questioning charges that high. I don't know....maybe that is normal spending for you depending on if you have a business I guess. My credit card bills are high...but not that high:D. I don't want to have to produce ID each time......and I'm willing to assume the risk for that.....but I'm not given that as a choice. I guess that's all part of living in a large city and having people with nothing better to do with their time then pull credit card scams.

I work for a large retailer as an investigator and although asking for ID is not policy for some retailers, the reason they ask for ID is in most cases, after you dispute a charge, they are the ones stuck paying for it.

Although we sometimes think that companies have "budgets" and can afford to pay for these charges, I've seen some stores get hit with upwards of $40,000 in chargebacks from credit card companies due to fraud, in ONE month. Some credit card companies will actually reverse charges if the store can produce surveillance video where they asked for ID and verified identity, but in today's economy it has been very difficult to get them to do so, even with the proof. Not many retailers are fortunate to have camera systems that my company does and could never prove that they did indeed attempt to verify the customers identity.

Everyone has the right to their opinion and I am certainly not trying to push mine upon you but the amount companies lose to organized theft, whether it be credit or check fraud, is astounding and although your credit may remain intact, the retailers are the ones truly paying for it.

I work for a large retailer as an investigator and although asking for ID is not policy for some retailers, the reason they ask for ID is in most cases, after you dispute a charge, they are the ones stuck paying for it.

Although we sometimes think that companies have "budgets" and can afford to pay for these charges, I've seen some stores get hit with upwards of $40,000 in chargebacks from credit card companies due to fraud, in ONE month. Some credit card companies will actually reverse charges if the store can produce surveillance video where they asked for ID and verified identity, but in today's economy it has been very difficult to get them to do so, even with the proof. Not many retailers are fortunate to have camera systems that my company does and could never prove that they did indeed attempt to verify the customers identity.

Everyone has the right to their opinion and I am certainly not trying to push mine upon you but the amount companies lose to organized theft, whether it be credit or check fraud, is astounding and although your credit may remain intact, the retailers are the ones truly paying for it.

Fair enough. You present a balanced case and I appreciate that. What I don't appreciate is people telling me to stop complaining. If the retailer told me this is for "our" protection I would appreciate that. I don't appreciate it when they make it look like they are taking care of me. I can take care of myself. I just want retailers to be honest instead of saying "this is all for you".

Fair enough. You present a balanced case and I appreciate that. What I don't appreciate is people telling me to stop complaining. If the retailer told me this is for "our" protection I would appreciate that. I don't appreciate it when they make it look like they are taking care of me. I can take care of myself. I just want retailers to be honest instead of saying "this is all for you".

But not everyone is as vigilent as you are about taking care of themselves. The world is still full of honest trusting folks who don't check their credit card charges daily. These are the people who don't discover a fraudulent charge until they get their bill. If you were one of these trusting types, wouldn't you be glad the merchant asked for an ID to protect your and their finances?

I understand that you are an honest and financially responsible individual. But, the merchants don't know that when you bring your purchase to the cash register and produce a credit card. As far as they know, you could be a crook. A crook can look like anyone, including a US president. :D

Diane

If we could turn back the clocks several years before I even got into this field and someone had asked me for ID, I think I'd feel the same way, asking why and believing that it was a hassle.

In my job I hear all sorts of things during the course of an investigation but it's when I get phone calls from customers who are sobbing and hysterical, telling me how their identity was compromised or their card was stolen and they ALWAYS ask me, "how did YOU let this happen to me?". These people are the reason why I get a paycheck; they come and spend their hard earned money with my company and they feel like we let them down. Sometimes it is very hard to listen to and I feel horrible but its those people who are the reason why I try to educate the people in the retail stores about the reality of identity and credit fraud. These people are also the reason why I work diligently with police jursidictions to ensure that the monsters (and someone else said it before, sometimes these monsters are employees) that commit those crimes are prosecuted.

And I agree with you that being honest and educating the consumer, you, is the right thing to do, rather than giving you an insincere reason at the register.

Well, guys, I've lived in Las Vegas since 1972, and since 1972 I have had to show ID in stores for CCs.

However, I have a Citibank CC that has my picture on it, as well as my signature on the front. I figure that is very inexpensive to do or they wouldn't do it, so I can't figure out why all CCs don't do it. So now people automatically ask for ID, and then say, "Never mind."

:)I make a point of always notiflying Am Exp when I am going to be out of town. They are very appreciative and thank me. One time my husband and I were in texas and made a lot of purchases with our card. American Exp put a freeze on our card as the purchases were considered "excessive" for what we usually purchase. It was embarressing but we had to call in and say it was really us. By all means, call Amer exp.

I'm semi-retired, but work a couple of days a week in a golf shop. Our policy: If the card is signed, check signature to see if it matches; If the card is NOT signed, always ask for ID; If on the back the person has "See ID" written, then check ID. We deal with fruad every month, and yes it's the retailer that loses in these cases.

Enjoy!

Kel

Sail,

I actually had the opposite happen in Montreal this last trip. I forgot to call them ahead, and at a gas station in Montreal they told me to come inside as the card wasn't working at the pump. Then about 2 min. later Am Ex called me on my cell to confirm the charge. It was really weird. Once I told them the last charge and whom I was they said my card was fine and released any holds they had put on.

We had two charges to grocery stores in arizona and nevada on our bill,amex said to us "oh your in florida, and took off the charges, at that time they told me i didn't have to let them know when we left the country they would know......well they didn't question the $500.00 to out of state grocery stores? Go figure

I'm always being asked to produce my drivers license when using my credit card. It irritates me something fierce. I wonder if that is why they don't want to know where you are :D. Sail.....does your Amex have a pin # you have to use? Mine doesn't...and I'm wondering if I should get one so I don't have to dig out my drivers every time.

If somebody steals your credit card or credit card number and uses it, the credit card company will have to eat the charges. For them to require photo ID when you use the card (as a matter of fact, I have written on the back of my card, "See Photo ID" ) makes perfect sense to make their losses happen less frequently. My Citibank Mastercard has a photo of me produced on the card, with a laser of my signature - I wish all companies would do that.

You may be irritated by asking to show photo ID, but you would be more irritated if you had to be the one paying the bill if your card was used fraudulently. My credit card is right next to my drivers license in my wallet, so I can dig out one while digging out the other.

Yonnie: I am so sorry to hear of your "ton of health issues this summer". Despite the fact that you will be taking fewer cruises in the forseeable future I hope that all your cruises will be a ton of fun.

I hope you feel better soon! You are a huge resource for many on this board and I don't like hearing you are under the weather. Take care!

Thank you both.

Getting old can be tough at times.

This thread is timely and reminded me to call my CC companies. Both BMO and Citibank Mastercards and they made notes on our file that we would be traveling.

I don't recall ever being asked for photo ID, must be my honest face.:rolleyes:

I keep meaning to send photos in to Citibank to put on our cards. I will have to get around to that, any day now, soon....:o

Bodger

Archived