best way to the Vasa Museum in Stockholm

wlbox

We will be arriving on the Emerald Princess on a Sunday and want to go first to the Vasa Museum. What is the quickest way to get to the ferry that will take us to the Vasa?

Can we use Euros or Credit cards for the ferry?

We will get off the ship quickly and are able to walk distances.

On August 16 the Emerald Princess (hope I got the right date) is booked at Stadsgården port. But be aware that this can change, even at last minute. From Stadsgården it is possible to walk to Slussen, from where the ferry leaves. It is likely to take 25 – 30 minutes. There are also buses that can take you to Slussen. But the problem with taking a bus is that you can not pay to the driver, you must have a ticket before you board. There are ticket machines at most bus stops, but you need Swedish coins to use them. It is possible to use a credit card for the ferry.

There is also the option to take the HoHo boat that has a stop very close to your ship.

Here is a link to a map that may be helpful: http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000448dadb8bebb56f079&t=h&z=12

We will be arriving on the Emerald Princess on a Sunday and want to go first to the Vasa Museum. What is the quickest way to get to the ferry that will take us to the Vasa?

Can we use Euros or Credit cards for the ferry?

We will get off the ship quickly and are able to walk distances.

There are two boats that dock next to each other a 2 minute walk from the Emerald Princess at the pier (we took the one on the right) that will take you to the Vasa. I don't recall how payment was done, but I don't think Swedish kroner were needed. The HOHO boat we were on allowed either a single use one-way ticket (cheaper) or an all day ticket--we used the former, as we only needed it to get to the Vasa, and used buses or walked afterward. The Vasa is the second stop (after the amusement park)--about a 10 minute ride. This will get you to the Vasa much faster than walking or a bus. and I'd go there first thing as when we were there the museum became crowded quickly and the line outside to get in got quite long.

Les

If we have the Stockholm Card, what is the best way to get from the Vasa Museum to Gamla Stan? I know we can't use the Djurgarden to Slussen ferry. I believe we can walk, but I'm not sure I want to spend the time.

Thanks,

The ferry is a convenient way to go from Vasa to Gamla Stan. And very nice if the weather is good. It is not that you can't use it, but you would have to pay for the ticket.

An alternative is to walk from Vasa to Djurgården bridge. On the other side of the bridge there is a bus stop. Take bus number 76 towards Gamla Stan (ask the driver so that you are sure to go in the right direction). Get off when you reach Gamla Stan, there is more than one stop for the bus there.

Walking all the way is of course also possible, but I would not recommend it with limited time in Stockholm

The ferry is a convenient way to go from Vasa to Gamla Stan. And very nice if the weather is good. It is not that you can't use it, but you would have to pay for the ticket.

An alternative is to walk from Vasa to Djurgården bridge. On the other side of the bridge there is a bus stop. Take bus number 76 towards Gamla Stan (ask the driver so that you are sure to go in the right direction). Get off when you reach Gamla Stan, there is more than one stop for the bus there.

Walking all the way is of course also possible, but I would not recommend it with limited time in Stockholm

Thanks for the quick response.

There are also buses that can take you to Slussen. But the problem with taking a bus is that you can not pay to the driver, you must have a ticket before you board. There are ticket machines at most bus stops, but you need Swedish coins to use them. It is possible to use a credit card for the ferry.

The ticket machines at the bus stops will also take US ATM cards with a pin. My US bank has an ATM card with the Visa logo on it and uses a 4-digit pin. I was able to use this card successfully in the bus ticket machines. The only difficulty was that we were only able to get one ticket at a time using the procedure listed on the machine and this process was slow. Getting 4 tickets took us a good 8-10 minutes.

The ticket machines at the bus stops will also take US ATM cards with a pin. My US bank has an ATM card with the Visa logo on it and uses a 4-digit pin. I was able to use this card successfully in the bus ticket machines. The only difficulty was that we were only able to get one ticket at a time using the procedure listed on the machine and this process was slow. Getting 4 tickets took us a good 8-10 minutes.

This is very interesting information. I heard that credit cards that were not connected to a Swedish bank could not be used. And since I can't test this myself, I only have Swedish cards and anyway, I never use the machines. So I made a telephone call to SL, our Stockholm public transport company, and they confirmed that what I had heard was correct. Now your experience contradicts their information. Seems we may still have to be careful before we say that credit cards from other countries can be used in the ticket machines.

This is very interesting information. I heard that credit cards that were not connected to a Swedish bank could not be used. And since I can't test this myself, I only have Swedish cards and anyway, I never use the machines. So I made a telephone call to SL, our Stockholm public transport company, and they confirmed that what I had heard was correct. Now your experience contradicts their information. Seems we may still have to be careful before we say that credit cards from other countries can be used in the ticket machines.

Your information is correct based on my experience. I was not able to use my US credit card in the ticket MACHINE. However, I was able to buy passes from the TI office inside the subway/train station with my credit card.

A possible explanation might be that UPr123 used an ATM Card that happens to also have a VISA logo on it. As is my situation, these are often not actual credit cards, but are debit cards which require a pin. Because they have the Visa (or Mastercard) logo you can use them anywhere that accepts Visa. The only difference is that the purchase is automatically deducted from the associated checking or savings account, not added to your credit card statement.

Just a thought...

We just got back from our trip and the HoHo Boat was docked right at the end of the pier and took us right over to the park and then to the museum. We paid in dollars for an all day pass and used it to head back around to the royal palace and at the end of the day took it from Gamla Stan back to our boat- it was very enjoyable and relaxing and gave us lots of great photos from the harbor. Can't recommend it more.

It got us over to the museum way ahead of the crowds so we had time to wander on our own before everyone arrived.

JKW

A possible explanation might be that UPr123 used an ATM Card that happens to also have a VISA logo on it. As is my situation, these are often not actual credit cards, but are debit cards which require a pin. Because they have the Visa (or Mastercard) logo you can use them anywhere that accepts Visa. The only difference is that the purchase is automatically deducted from the associated checking or savings account, not added to your credit card statement.

Just a thought...

You are exactly correct. My card works as a debit card and has a 4-digit pin, which is important for using it in a machine in Europe. But it has no connection to any Swedish bank. We were in Stockholm on July 7 (Emerald Princess) and I used the card four times to buy four tickets to go from a bus stop near the Opera House to the Vasa, and then again four times for the return trip. After returning home, I have verified that my checking account was properly debited for all the charges.

There has been some very interesting information here about using credit cards in ticket machines at the bus stops. I now know that when I have said that you need to have a card connected to a Swedish bank that was not completely true. Some cards with no Swedish connection work, but some does not.

So my recommendation is still to go to the info shop on the quay before you leave for the bus stop. We have had several confirmations this year that they sell the 24 hour transport card. I don’t know if they also sell other tickets.

Here are the facts:

24 hour transport card. Costs 100 kronor and gives unlimited travel on public transport within the Stockholm area for 24 hours. It does include travel on the ferry from Djurgården (where Skansen and Vasa museums are located) and Slussen (in Gamla Stan). This is a personal card and can only be used by one person. If you are under 20 years old, or 65 or more, there is a reduced price, it costs only 60 kronor.

Tickets from a machine. A ticket from a machine costs 30 kronor for travel within the inner city. There is a reduced price here too, 18 kronor for under 20 or over 65. With this ticket you can travel as much as you like within the inner city for one hour only. After that you will have to get a new one. And it does not include the ferry between Djurgården and Gamla Stan.

A one-way ticket for the ferry costs 40 kronor. There are no return tickets. There is a reduced price for under 20 and over 65 of age, and then it is only 25 kronor.

Children aged 6 or under travel free on all public transport, including the ferry, when in the company of an adult.

This morning I went out to have a proper look on a ticket machine. Not every bus stop has one, the first two had no machines but I found one on the third. But the bus stops that are close to the ports do have machines. The ticket machine has instruction in English as well as Swedish. But it asks you to specify if you want to travel within zone A, AB or ABC and there is no explanation what this means. Zone A is the inner city, and that is what you would want. This is the ticket that costs 30 kronor; the other zones are more expensive.

If you buy your ticket at a bus stop in the morning, and then later on want one to go back to the ship there are other places to buy them than a machine. They are sold in places like Pressbyrån and 7-Eleven too.

I will post this one the two threads where ticket machines have been discussed.

Northbound -- can you tell us about the hop on/hop off ferry. Is there a place to board at the dock? What are the costs? The same as the bus? Can you buy an all day pass? Some have written that there is a special ferry from the dock to the Vasa.

Thank you for your imput.

The HoHo boat is a sightseeing boat and has no connection with the ferry I mention in my post above. If your ship will dock at Stadsgården port it can be good alternative to travelling by bus and ferry. It has a stop close to where cruise ships dock at Stadsgården.

Here is a link to more information about this sightseeing boat: http://www.stromma.se/en/Sightseeing/Stockholm/Boat-tours/Hop-on-Hop-off/

And here is a link to a map where you can see where this boat goes: http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000448dadb8bebb56f079&ll=59.34772,18.091049&spn=0.07649,0.167198&t=h&z=12

Northbound -- can you tell us about the hop on/hop off ferry. Is there a place to board at the dock? What are the costs? The same as the bus? Can you buy an all day pass? Some have written that there is a special ferry from the dock to the Vasa.

Thank you for your imput.

From the research I have done, my understaning is that it is the hop on hop of boat (100 Kron for the day) that stops at the pier in Stadsgarden port and will take us to the Vasa and other areas. The ferry which can be single use or used with the all day transit pass does not leave from the port area, you have to get into Slussen near Gamla Stan first. The ferry and bus are included in an all day transit pass (also 100 kron) but this is seaparate from the hop on hop off boat. I have attached a link for the hop on hop off boat with map (click on the map button in the dark area in the middle of the page).

http://www.stromma.se/en/Sightseeing/Stockholm/Boat-tours/Hop-on-Hop-off/

North-bound,

We have already purchased our 24 hour Stockholm card. I was wondering what would be the best way for us to get to the Vasa from the port. It says it includes free trips on the Nybroplan ferry to Djurgarden. Where do we get that ferry? We are on the Emerald and will be in Stockholm on Saturday, 9/5. We don't mind paying for a ferry ride if it is going to be quicker and easier. Let me know what you think the best route for us will be. Thanks for your help, Jill

It says it includes free trips on the Nybroplan ferry to Djurgarden. Where do we get that ferry?

I would expect that it would go from Nybroplan, which is practically next door to Djurgården, so no significant help to you.

North-bound,

We have already purchased our 24 hour Stockholm card. I was wondering what would be the best way for us to get to the Vasa from the port. It says it includes free trips on the Nybroplan ferry to Djurgarden. Where do we get that ferry? We are on the Emerald and will be in Stockholm on Saturday, 9/5. We don't mind paying for a ferry ride if it is going to be quicker and easier. Let me know what you think the best route for us will be. Thanks for your help, Jill

I asked the same question. It doesn't seem like the Stockholm Card is going to be too much help in getting from the Stadgarden peir where the Emerald docks to Djurgarden. Probably the quickest option is to take a taxi (not the cheapest - I believe about 125 SEK - around $17). The other option is the Slussen to Djurgarden ferry which is within walking distance of where you dock. Unfortunately the Stockholm Card is not honored on this ferry. At this point we are planning on taking a taxi to hopefully get a head start on the crowds at the Vasa Museum.

Probably the quickest option is to take a taxi (not the cheapest - I believe about 125 SEK - around $17).

It cost us SEK200, but then we just agreed to the first price proffered since there were only a couple of taxis waiting when we disembarked (and we were amongst the first off). You might be able to get there for SEK125 with a bit of hard bargaining.

Edit: I just backtracked through some of my research and found that I must have calculated the trip on some taxi website at SEK142.

Thanks for the input. Being that there will be 7 of us, I don't think a taxi will do it unless we get two. I was thinking about the ferry. Do you know how much that is?

According to North-Bound, from another thread, the ferry from Slussen to Djurgården is 30 SEK (20 for Children and Seniors) each way. That's a little over $4 for an adult fare.

We used the Princess shuttle ($11 per person round-trip) which took us to the Opera House. From there we walked a few blocks to Nybroplan, from where we took a bus to the Vasa Museum. Overall, that was pretty quick and we didn't have to wait more than about 10-15 minutes in the line at the museum entrance. It was also advantageous to use the Princess shuttle on the return trip, as it was raining and there was significant congestion in the Gamla Stan area, so it took much longer for the return trip than it took on the forward trip. If I were using other transportation, I would have been worried about making it back to the ship on time.

Archived