Weather in early November

For those who have been.....what to wear in early Nov.!!! Cruising to Europe for the first time. Visiting Rome, Greece, Turkey.

I did ck the weather site but sitll wondering what you experienced. Thank you for your help.

My experience only based on two cruises, one leaving Barcelona on November 5, a couple of ports in the Western Mediterranean and then across to Miami and the other in the Eastern Mediterranean in mid October.

In both cases a light jacket was all I ever needed, if that.

We did this in '07 and couldn't agree more that it's a lovely time of year to visit. In fact, we will be returning this year from mid-Nov. to beginning of Dec. Crowds are minimal and the weather is beautiful. I would recommend layers and a thin, fleece lined hooded wind jacket. You may have a little rain some days. We didn't but we did have several days that were overcast and looked like rain. Also, our ship docked overnight in Venice and it got down in the low 40's after dark with a brisk wind. For the most part, we wore slacks or jeans during the day and a button up shirt for him and a tank top with light sweater for her. Don't forget to include at least two comfortable pair of walking shoes for each person. If it rains one day, you will want to have dry shoes to walk in the next day. I know they take up lots of room in a bag, but if it rains you will be so happy you have them!

Good luck and enjoy!

• 4 years later...

:rolleyes:About to book Western Mediterranean from Rome to Malaga from Nov. 6 to 16 with Azamara. Looking for anyone who has travelled recently during this time period in this area on expected weather. Also, experience with this cruise line. Any help is appreciated.

Our last cruise in the Med (our 3rd) we left Rome on Nov. 7th. We spent 3 nights in Rome pre cruise. Those days/nights pre cruise were perfect except for a tiny bit of rain one afternoon/evening. It was a bit cool at night but not cold.

We did Italy, Greece and Turkey. Let me know if you want specific ports.

We had awesome weather everywhere on the cruise EXCEPT the second day in Istanbul. A cold front came through and it included a light drizzle for a few hours too. But other than that the weather was wonderful. We returned to Rome and spent one night near Ostia Antica (8 minute drive from airport) before flying home.

I agree with the layering suggestion. We have done this for all our Med cruises and it just makes sense if you go off season like Nov. or early May. We are leaving again next month (10/15) which is a bit earlier than our other cruises to the area, but we end in Venice on 10/31 and are hoping we don't get into the flooding of Venice that happens in November..... ish.

Obviously the more southern the port the warmer it will be....with the more northerly ports having a better chance of having cooler/cold weather. Mother Nature is fickle...... plan for everything ;)

Room could be rainy and cool and Turkey could be cool too. Greece will likely have moderate temperatures.

You should bring clothing to layer and like many places around the world weather is not the same year over year so you just never can be 100% certain what the weather will be like for your trip.

Keith

:rolleyes:About to book Western Mediterranean from Rome to Malaga from Nov. 6 to 16 with Azamara. Looking for anyone who has travelled recently during this time period in this area on expected weather. Also, experience with this cruise line. Any help is appreciated.

Cant tell you anything about the weather (though I will be there mid Oct for the first time), but we sailed Azamara on their Antarctica trip. Very nice cruise line. The small(er) ship was our first and we really enjoyed it. More opportunity to see the same folks and get to know them. This can be both good and bad! Enjoy your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been in the Western Med at that time - but was around Greek Isles /Turkey at that time, and ....

Had poor weather in a few places :- was very windy in Santorini (was also sunny but not warm!); had thunder & lightening storm in Mykonos (lashing rain, bit it stopped in afternoon); and very cold & drizzling rain in Istanbul (needed hats, gloves & coats there !). But Naples was sunny & pleasant !

So unfortunately, it probably is a packing nightmare as you'll need to pack for cold & rain. I think it would be more unusual to have dry weather at that time of year.

Our very first cruise was out of Rome the day AFTER Thanksgiving...... it was Western Med cruise. Rome, Naples, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Livorno, Villefranche, Toulon and Barcelona.

We had great weather. Cold at night but wonderful during the day for touring. A bit windy in Villefranche (up on the rock in Monte Carlo) but I would much rather put on a sweater/jacket than sweat while sightseeing....... and not one drop of rain. A bit of morning fog in Dubrovnik but it burned off by 11 or 12:00.

3 cruises in this area: Late Nov, Early May and Early Nov. The only unagreeable weather was in Istanbul during the early Nov. cruise (our last) with some drizzle and cold one day (during a 2 day stop)

We always plan for everything.....so layering is the key. I also take Dollar Store umbrellas and rain ponchos. Leave them there when we come home.

Headed back mid October to early November...... again we will plan to layer.

No way of telling so pack layers. We were in Rome for four days early last November..four of the nicest days we have had in Rome. Moderate temperature (light sweater except in the afternoon) and fewer tourists than we have experienced at other times. It rained in Istanbul, Milan, and Como at the same time of year. Venice was like Rome, beautiful weather. But it could just as easily been very different with rain and damp weather.

• 2 weeks later...
Our last cruise in the Med (our 3rd) we left Rome on Nov. 7th. We spent 3 nights in Rome pre cruise. Those days/nights pre cruise were perfect except for a tiny bit of rain one afternoon/evening. It was a bit cool at night but not cold.

We did Italy, Greece and Turkey. Let me know if you want specific ports.

We had awesome weather everywhere on the cruise EXCEPT the second day in Istanbul. A cold front came through and it included a light drizzle for a few hours too. But other than that the weather was wonderful. We returned to Rome and spent one night near Ostia Antica (8 minute drive from airport) before flying home.

I agree with the layering suggestion. We have done this for all our Med cruises and it just makes sense if you go off season like Nov. or early May. We are leaving again next month (10/15) which is a bit earlier than our other cruises to the area, but we end in Venice on 10/31 and are hoping we don't get into the flooding of Venice that happens in November..... ish.

Obviously the more southern the port the warmer it will be....with the more northerly ports having a better chance of having cooler/cold weather. Mother Nature is fickle...... plan for everything ;)

Hi , Thanks for the info. Any suggestions on a hotel in Rome? we will be there 1 night before hopping the the Ruby nov. 5 Appreciate any help. Jack & M

Hi , Thanks for the info. Any suggestions on a hotel in Rome? we will be there 1 night before hopping the the Ruby nov. 5 Appreciate any help. Jack & M

Depends on your budget...... and where you want to be......

We have stayed at Hotel Mozart (near Spanish steps) and Albergo del Senato (Pantheon piazza) and one apartment (near del Senato) and will be staying in an apartment next week too near Piazza Navonna !

There are so many hotels and factors to consider to choose.

Let us know your price range and if you are taking train in etc......

Archived