Mazatlan - Randi's Happy Horses?

Wanderlust26

I did wear cargo shorts (came past my knees) and sneakers and had no issues. My wife and daughter wore capris. None of our clothes had any smells from the horses etc. I thought the 3 of us would be sore from the experience but none of us experienced any discomforts in the ensuing days.

Based on our individual experience, I would definitely reccomend Randi's and would go again in a heart beat.

We love riding with Randi and definitely recommend it, but we had a slightly different experience regarding clothing. I always ride with jeans, no matter how hot, but the first time my daughter insisted on riding with shorts and the friction with the saddle chafed the skin on her legs pretty badly (mainly red and sensitive, went away in a day or 2). Since then, she's worn jeans. :) Many people wear shorts with no problems, just wanted to give you our experience. (They do put a towel over the saddle which helps with not sticking to the leather.)

And our clothes have definitely smelled of horse when we got back from our rides. They went straight into a dirty clothes bag! But I never noticed any lingering odor in the cabin.

You will have a wonderful time!

I emailed Randi on Sunday and have not heard back from her. It's now Wednesday morning. How long does it usually take her to respond. With all the positive reviews I've read on her, I want to get this excursion booked ASAP before it's too late. We cruise in November.

Thanks to all the great comments we have booked a day with Randi in December. Her web page recomends long pants, most of the photo's I see people are in shorts. I am wondering how comfortable the ride is in shorts, I can wear very light weight pants if needed. Also, are your clothes "smelly" after the ride. I can only imagine "eud de horse" in our cabin for the next few days.

How did you book. Did you go through her website. I can not get to her website for some reason. I emailed her Sunday and have not heard back from her.

How did you book. Did you go through her website. I can not get to her website for some reason. I emailed her Sunday and have not heard back from her.

I haven't heard back yet, but I'm not too worried. I would give it a few more days. I did use her web site as my contact source.

I emailed Randi on Sunday and have not heard back from her. It's now Wednesday morning. How long does it usually take her to respond. With all the positive reviews I've read on her, I want to get this excursion booked ASAP before it's too late. We cruise in November.

I've booked with her several times and have received responses ranging any where from a day to five days. She is the only one handling bookings/admin activities and sometimes she gets tied up. I also know in the past she has some connectivity issues with her provider. But she has always responded to my e-mails. I would suggest if you don't hear from her by Friday, you send another message, but I suspect you'll her from here before then.

Must have been her office day. We heard as well.

I traded e-mails with her today. She said that she doesn't use her computer during thunder storms or in the afternoon because her office doesn't have A/C and it gets too hot. She apologized saying that they've been having morning and evening storms, so she got a bit backed up on her e-mail.

• 2 weeks later...

I rode with Randi's happy horses last week and had a great time. I love that they didn't force you to ride nose to tail the whole time like other riding excursions I have done.

On this site, everybody raves about the shrimp at Victor's. I got them, and they were good, but if I had it to do over again, I'd get the fish. It looked even better, and cost quite a bit less.

The best part of the excursion, though, was Randi herself. Randi, if you're reading this, thank you again, and give a scratch to Bonita for me!

I emailed Randi on Saturday, and got a response on Monday. This will be my second time riding with her. It was the most memorable part of my trip in 2003. My daughter was age 3 then, and now she'll be 9, and her little brother (age 5) will be able to experience it as well this time. I can't wait!!

Randi's is THE BEST. She does have some problems with her internet but will get back to you soon. We have ridden with her 4-5 times in the past and everything about the trip is wonderful. In fact, I am cruising to Mazatlan again next month and was really disappoited because I didn't think I was going to get to ride. Imagine being disappointed about a cruise. Well, JOY, things have changed and I will be seeing her this trip. Shorts vs long pants - I would always wear jeans and closed toe shoes to ride. You may not be able to wear them again but they won't stink up your cabin. Another thing nobody has mentioned and this has happened every time is that your shoes will get really dirty on the side, it does come out but takes some elbow grease. I always take an old pair of sneakers just for the ride.

Randi's is THE BEST. She does have some problems with her internet but will get back to you soon. We have ridden with her 4-5 times in the past and everything about the trip is wonderful. In fact, I am cruising to Mazatlan again next month and was really disappoited because I didn't think I was going to get to ride. Imagine being disappointed about a cruise. Well, JOY, things have changed and I will be seeing her this trip. Shorts vs long pants - I would always wear jeans and closed toe shoes to ride. You may not be able to wear them again but they won't stink up your cabin. Another thing nobody has mentioned and this has happened every time is that your shoes will get really dirty on the side, it does come out but takes some elbow grease. I always take an old pair of sneakers just for the ride.

I've wondered about this. One of the pictures is a previous post shows the horses and a lot of mud. I was wondering if we had to walk to that particular spot to get on the horses. I don't want to pack more shoes but I definitely don't want my shoes to get muddy. Are there any more suggestions or would I absolutely have to bring an old pair of shoes. In other pictures, I've seen people wear shorts. Would you definitely not recommend shorts?

I've wondered about this. One of the pictures is a previous post shows the horses and a lot of mud. I was wondering if we had to walk to that particular spot to get on the horses. I don't want to pack more shoes but I definitely don't want my shoes to get muddy. Are there any more suggestions or would I absolutely have to bring an old pair of shoes. In other pictures, I've seen people wear shorts. Would you definitely not recommend shorts?

They drive you right to the "boarding area"

horse.jpg.f290a86b431598735798b021f7317214.jpg

It's not the mud, they are really great about getting you to the horses. But I've always gotten a rub mark off the stirrups. It takes some elbow grease to get it off. It's not "awful" but definitely there. I guess I'm just lazy or don't want to spend my vacation scrubbing my shoes. To me, it's just easier to pack an old pair of shoes to wear just for riding. Of course only you know what will work for you. Shorts? Again, it's up to you. I've seen people have no problem at all and I've seen people with some serious chaffing. Most of all plan on having a GREAT TIME. They make it so effortless. All you have to do is climb aboard and hang on.

Shorts? Again, it's up to you. I've seen people have no problem at all and I've seen people with some serious chaffing.

I wore shorts and was fine but they were baggy loose fitting cargo shorts. Partner had tighter shorts and was limping the rest of the cruise so i would definitely suggest LOOSE fitting shorts for any males on the ride.

• 2 weeks later...
I emailed Randi on Saturday, and got a response on Monday. This will be my second time riding with her. It was the most memorable part of my trip in 2003. My daughter was age 3 then, and now she'll be 9, and her little brother (age 5) will be able to experience it as well this time. I can't wait!!

Hi, my son (6 yr) and myself are booked to ride with Randi for the first time on Nov 9. I also have a 3 yr old daughter too and I do not know whether I can take her on the trip.

When you ride with your daughter in 2003 did you hold her with you on the same horse, or she has her own horses? Did she handle 1.5 hour rides well (I think it is a bit long for a 3 yr old).... Please share your experience.....

Currently I am thinking to let my DW to take the DD to go to stone island with us, but they can head straight to Victors to wait for us while my son and I ride the horse. Any one knows how much Randi charges for just the transportation?

Also does Randi has a child price for horse ride, or the price is the same as adults?

Thanks you.......

hey all. just back back from doing randi's about a week ago. it was a blast. from what i heard and saw....randi does not let children ride with parents because she said it was not safe. however they have this belt that they tie to the child and horse so they cant fall off. however the kids on my tour were prob 7 and 8 ish.

my hubby and i had suuuuuuch a blast and had great weather thankfully. randi is so nice and unique and her assistansts....especially tony were really wonderful. for the first part of the beach ride i was the very last one to get to the turning around point. i was so afraid and thought i was for sure going to fall off. lol however i got more comforatable on the ride back down the beach headed to victors. i galloped a bit, traughted some and even ran a few steps with my horse. like my hubby told me over and over...it is so much easier to run with the horse rather then gallop or trought because there isnt half as much bouncing.

after the ride was over and we got to victors i wish we had more time. although because i was so tense it felt weird to walk afterward for the first 10 min or so, haha. at victors we had fun relaxing and talking with everyone in our group, 18 in all i believe. one nice thing too is that they rent victors out for just randis tour. apparently avacados are scarce on stone island and boy oh boy did we luck out because they made some awesome guacamole!!! mmmm. hubby and i split a shrimp dish, but it definetley wasnt the best weve had.

we were planning on doing a bannana boat ride while on the beach there until i realized u had to pull your own body weight up on a slippery intertube, from the water. then i decided that was too much work, haha so we just relaxed.

here are some pics from last week:

740.jpg.eeb36f2f9a2c1673c266ffb74924b909.jpg

Randi

755.jpg.2303220aaa3b41434c50f0215e8cee11.jpg

us on horses chokey and pony

771.jpg.d6476e0ccbf4016f709e56dd4edef3d2.jpg

mmm guacamole

772.jpg.f7eb739a4345dffd14704d1c7b2f137c.jpg

our garlic shrimp

764.jpg.5e36bb2123de148f83420cdaf719436b.jpg

view from victors

My family rode with Randi's Happy Horses during the last week of September. My kids are 10 and 7 and they enjoyed it, but thought the ride was way too long and bumpy. Part of the problem was that I didn't get any sunscreen on them beforehand -- ouch. I think they would have been happier with a 1/2 hour ride or just going to Victor's and hanging out at the beach. I imagine if you tell Randi ahead of time, you can arrange for a shorter ride for kids.

Oh, yes, and make sure to secure your camera well. I had mine in a little bag that velcros around my belt. It fell off and went for a short swim. Ugh. We retrieved it quickly and Randi helped me get it into a bag of dry rice at Victors, but it is still ruined. Rats.

But other than that... we had a great time. I have never seen a more beautiful beach and the food at Victor's was even better than that on the ship. Great time! We'd do it again in a heartbeat. But next time, I think we'll just go play at the beach at Victor's. We're not super-horsey people, so that would be fine for us!

Karen

Hi, my son (6 yr) and myself are booked to ride with Randi for the first time on Nov 9. I also have a 3 yr old daughter too and I do not know whether I can take her on the trip.

When you ride with your daughter in 2003 did you hold her with you on the same horse, or she has her own horses? Did she handle 1.5 hour rides well (I think it is a bit long for a 3 yr old).... Please share your experience.....

Currently I am thinking to let my DW to take the DD to go to stone island with us, but they can head straight to Victors to wait for us while my son and I ride the horse. Any one knows how much Randi charges for just the transportation?

Also does Randi has a child price for horse ride, or the price is the same as adults?

Thanks you.......

Randi told me that the youngest child she has taken was 3 years old. The child was strapped onto the horse and a guide led that horse, so the kid just had to sit there.

She charges $15 pp for just the transportation to Victor's and back. That includes 4 taxi rides and 2 water taxi rides, so it seems reasonable to me....

Archived