Mazatlan - Randi's Happy Horses?

Wanderlust26

I was sure that was you when I watched the Video!:D

I'm not that easy to fool:eek:

Yup - you saw me laughing! =) But that group running toward us is one fine lookin' group! =)

lol, yes there is! Everyone in that video is pretty cool! ;) Let's go again!

You don't know how bad I want to just blow this popsicle stand. I guess I need to start playing the lottery, because I sure can't win if I don't buy a ticket! :D

yay im glad you will get to experience this as well! im with ya with the packing! i may just pull out the luggage this weekend???? lol

I have started packing, I haven't pulled out the suitcase yet but I am washing the stuff I only wear on a cruise and putting it in the suitcase so that part will be done.

I recently (August 2009) went on Randi's tour. I was disappointed.

The good: Randi picks you up at the terminal and the trek through Mazatlan is interesting as you take local taxis/boats. You can run, trot, walk the horses on the beach. The horses are fine although my reins were actually a piece of rope and the saddle not the best. The beach is quite long and unpopulated. The horse riding portion of this tour is not long but Randi delivers what she promises.

The bad: Stone Island was not what I expected. The "quaint" Mexican vilage is very poor so unless you can turn a blind eye to this, you will be affected. While the beach is beautiful there is quite a lot of litter everywhere which surprised me. The bad part of the tour happens after the horseback riding is complete. The rest of the day is spent at Victor's restaurant. The food is plain and unremarkable. There were 6 people at my table and not one of us enjoyed our meal. Throughout the meal, vendors are pushing their wares. If you do go, try one of the other restaurants on the beach which seemed nicer than the one we were at. The tour is too long. We sat at the restaurant forever, even when everyone wanted to leave. We had to wait for one family who ran off to sightsee. Having a set time of departure would have been helpful.

I booked this tour based on reviews on this site. Frankly, after my experience I am a little surprised at the overwhelming positive spin on so many reviews.

What a shame that you didn't have a nice experience.

When we were on this tour, we didn't see any litter on the beach. I posted a link to a video not too long ago. What you see in that video is what we saw. No litter, just beach. We did see a dead puffer fish the day we were there. I wouldn't consider that litter though....just nature.

I'm not sure why your experience at Victor's was less than wonderful. The food we had was fresh and delicious. As for vendors while we ate.....I remember two coming over to us. We simply said, "No thank you" and they left. They weren't pushy at all. Nothing like we've experienced in other parts of Mexico (Ensenada being the worst).

Our tour was a perfect length. Our guide asked us a few times if we would like to continue or head back. It was really our decision. If you book this tour again, just keep that in mind. They're extremely helpful and willing to work with you. They want you to enjoy your day with them.

I hope that if you go back to Mazatlan you'll be able to find an excursion that makes you happier. I hope the rest of your cruise was enjoyable! :)

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your ride with Randi... I have gone on this excursion 4 times and could not visit Mazatlan without heading over to Stone Island and visiting Randi - even if I didn't ride with her.

I learned a LONG time ago - and I tell this to all people often - that this is not a resort ride. If you want to experience authentic Mexico and meet some of the nicest & most down to earth people on the planet, then this is for you. If you are looking for a resort ride, this is not the right one for you. We like to experience as much authenticity in our travels as we can... and Randi's/Stone Island is pretty darn authentic. We enjoyed that the beach is uncrowded and only natural beauty. Unfortunately, more people are "discovering" Stone Island and I fear that it will become more crowded & commercialized.

I did not experience any litter on any of our trips. I have taken many many pictures on all of our visits and see nothing but natural "litter".

Food is so subjective. What I find delicious can be uneventful to others. We enjoy that the food is fresh, authentic & flavorful. We don't want to feel like we are eating at an Applebee's. I can get that at home.

Our rides were generally in the 1-1/2 hour range, as an average. I find that just perfect. Those that wanted a shorter ride, could go back with a guide sooner. Those that wanted to ride longer, could.

And our time at Victor's is WHY we take this excursion. It is a few hours of pure relaxation. Yes, the food takes a while to get to us. But we are on a beach in Mexico, with no worries and lots of time. Add that to the great company around you and to me that is near perfect. Randi & Tony are the best. And on every excursion we have enjoyed chatting with our fellow riders. Lounge chairs & hammocks... ahhhh! I wish I was there now. If more activity is your thing, Randi can set you up with banana boat rides, etc (assuming the jelly fish aren't a problem that day).

Again - I am sorry you didn't have good time. I would gladly trade you and have taken your place. Not every excursion is for everyone. But I think you for your review.

So sorry you did not like your experience.

Like the post above mine, we would not visit Mazatlan without going to Stone Island and Victor's and meeting up with Randi. On our first visit to Stone Island Randi told us that this area is about 50 years behind times in comparison to Mazatlan. Yes, the people are poor. The houses not what we are used to. Then we saw the children playing in the school play yard in their uniforms. People waved from their porches as we made our way to the horses. When we got to the place where the horses are kept we met the family there. Very nice people. They were happy. Some of them are Randi's helpers and because of her tour they have an income.

Victor's, I respect your review but I absolutely loved the food there. Some of the best shrimp we have had. The beach was beautiful - no litter. Randi gave us the option of dealing with the vendors. If we didn't want them there then they weren't. We enjoyed the guitar players and singers. Vendors are everywhere in Mexico - just a fact.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and what you like but I believe that your poor review is in the minority. Most people love this tour enough to keep going back again as we will next time we are there - visit #4.

We just got back from the August 16th Mariner Cruise, and we had such a great time horseback riding with Randi's Happy Horses. Getting a chance to ride and have your horse gallop down the beach was very cool. Everyone including Randi was so nice, and we just enjoyed relaxing and having a few beers after the ride. Plus lunch at Victors was good as well. Just truly one of the best excursions we've been on during our recent cruises. A must if you're in Mazatlan.....Thanks Randi

RC

I believe that we were on the same ride as SDaven and Twenty564 and we are in the very much enjoyed category. Prior to taking this excursion we knew that the area we woud be going to would be very rustic and looked forward to seeing the true Mexico. Yes, there was some trash along the beach during our ride but it must have been the tide that day. There is nothing near the beach so nobody to pick up anything that ends up there.

The ride was wonderful and the guides were very helpful. You could go as slow or fast as you wanted to. Our group ended up splitting into about 4 groups, with my kids, dh and I in the first group. We all enjoyed galloping down the beach. Yes, Victor's is rustic (there is no running water or electricity as I found out on this site) and the food was good. Was it gourmet, no, but again I would not expect it to be.

The one point that I do have to agree with is getting a bit frustrated in having to wait to leave with the group. There was one family that did not get up from lunch until after the rest of us had already been out for a swim and look around. By then most of the rest of the group was ready to go and unfortunately we had to wait for them to take a banana boat ride. Not the best way to end the day.

Overall I would do this excursion again in a heartbeat, but would push a bit on the time to leave. Randi is trying to make everyone happy and she did with the family that was on the banana boat by allowing them to enjoy their day. Maybe just a suggestion for anyone else on this tour, be respectful of others on the same tour as nobody goes back to the ship until all are ready.

• 2 weeks later...

Add me in the "very much enjoyed" category. :D

The shrimp at Victor's was to die for, the fresh Pacifico beer, the laid back, utterly relaxed ambience of lively conversation, good company, good food and a good ride all added up to make this excursion one of the BEST we have ever experienced.

We had a blast...We hope to book another cruise that stops at Mazatlan so we can ride with Randi's outfit once again.

After our meal, Randi gave all of us the option of leaving with her or going off on our own. We wanted to go into town, so she got a taxi for us. If you wanted to leave early, I know she would have made arrangements for you. All you have to do was ask.

As for vendors, they were totally not an issue, at least when we were there. The few that came by were easily fended off with a "no gracias" and a smile.

Sorry you didn't have fun with the excursion, but, there is alot of fun stuff to do in Mazatlan, and hopefully if you get back there, you can try something different.

Does anyone know what's the maximum people that could be on this excursion before they are booked full? I just found out about this excursion and I know my family will enjoy it. It's seems reasonably priced also. None of us, including two kids 11 and 7, has any experience with horseback riding but are beliveing we will have a ball.

What happens if my 7yo seems a bit afraid when he's about to get on the horse? I will be surprising my family with this excursion. They will have no idea until the day we leave home. We leave in November.

OK, I will try to email her now and hope she's not booked solid.

Does anyone know what's the maximum people that could be on this excursion before they are booked full? I just found out about this excursion and I know my family will enjoy it. It's seems reasonably priced also. None of us, including two kids 11 and 7, has any experience with horseback riding but are beliveing we will have a ball.

What happens if my 7yo seems a bit afraid when he's about to get on the horse? I will be surprising my family with this excursion. They will have no idea until the day we leave home. We leave in November.

If lots of people sign up for a particular day Randi will split riders into an early group and a later group. She'll let you know the time when she responds to your email.

We've ridden with Randi several times and they're really good about setting kids at ease and matching them with horses they feel comfortable with, even absolute beginners. I'm sure your son will have a great time.

Randi's partners, Tony and Daniel, are exceptional with matching people with the right horse for them. When we rode with her last, we had a good number of people, including young ones like our 7 year old son, who had not rode before. In that case, Daniel and Tony made sure they were always along side the novice riders to make sure there were no problems. Riding with Randi was one of the best parts of our trip.

Thanks to all the great comments we have booked a day with Randi in December. Her web page recomends long pants, most of the photo's I see people are in shorts. I am wondering how comfortable the ride is in shorts, I can wear very light weight pants if needed. Also, are your clothes "smelly" after the ride. I can only imagine "eud de horse" in our cabin for the next few days.

Thanks to all the great comments we have booked a day with Randi in December. Her web page recomends long pants, most of the photo's I see people are in shorts. I am wondering how comfortable the ride is in shorts, I can wear very light weight pants if needed. Also, are your clothes "smelly" after the ride. I can only imagine "eud de horse" in our cabin for the next few days.

I would also like to offer a very positive review/experience with Randi's. We were with Randi on the 8/26 group off the Mariner.

I haven't been on a horse in 35 years (and my DW and DD (10) have never been horseback riding). The 3 of us all loved it.

The guides could not have been better (friendly/accomodating). The tour itself was different and just very fun (isolated/undeveloped beach, riding horses not nose to tail, very controlled and very safe). As mentioned by others, the beach is not a "resort" area but we did not find it littered in any form. The tour itself (transportation to and from the ship) was very well organized. We enjoyed the food at Victor's as well and my daughter enjoyed swimming in the ocean, getting her hair braided etc. while we ate.

I did wear cargo shorts (came past my knees) and sneakers and had no issues. My wife and daughter wore capris. None of our clothes had any smells from the horses etc. I thought the 3 of us would be sore from the experience but none of us experienced any discomforts in the ensuing days.

Based on our individual experience, I would definitely reccomend Randi's and would go again in a heart beat.

Archived