Internet charges

Emtbsam

I'm not bothered by charges for using the internet. However, be aware that Silversea may charge for more than just using the internet.

"Minutes will be calculated from the moment a guest logs on to the computer. It doesn't matter if they are on Word, Excel, Solitaire, Internet or email they are being charged by the minute." (http://www.silversea.com/silversea.aspx?id=627&menu_id=7&page_id=Onboard&content_id=630&page_type=ob_onceonboard)

Dave

I have yet to sail on Silversea (have a trip upcoming in November), but I've been on Seabourn several times and always paid for an internet package. I guess I don't mind it, since I've always had a shipboard credit and the credit covered it. The only thing I find frustrating is how often the connection would fail. On one two week trip, I ended up with over two hours of time I didn't use because the satellite connection was constantly being interrupted.

And you don't get refunds! I think it would be nice if they credited back your unused minutes.

I don't mind being charged for time used. Rather than buy a package, I usually just pay for time used. On our Alaska cruise a few weeks ago, I paid 50 cents per minute. I used it to check and send email. When their satellite connection was down, they just had a sign on the computers that the system was not working, and to check back later. My total bill was about $40 for my time during the 9 day cruise.

The internet is not the only problem. If you are planning to use your cell phone aboard, SS does not have AT&T service, so your Blackberry or I-phone won't work. Verizon is good, since they do have a contract with them, so some Blackberrys will work.

The internet is not the only problem. If you are planning to use your cell phone aboard, SS does not have AT&T service, so your Blackberry or I-phone won't work. Verizon is good, since they do have a contract with them, so some Blackberrys will work.

Seriously? AT&T blackberries wont work for voice or data? I have used mine on cruises all over the world including China, Russia, etc. That is a MAJOR problem to me, if true.

Recommend you check with SS. Our friend, who has an AT&T Blackberry, checked and SS said they don't have a contract with AT&T. Of course it will work if you're in a AT&T service area such as some areas in the Caribbean, Mexico and Hawaii. Not in an area where you have to rely on satellite; ie, a ship antenna.

What experiences have those that have taken their own laptop on board and used the cabins wireless had? I understand that all cabins are wireless capable. If you prepared your messages before turning the wireless on and then send, how slow is the upload? I know you don't want all that spam and e-mails from your account at home downloading but, having an e-mail account just for your trip and giving it to family or business contacts might be OK.

If it works :rolleyes:

I would be interested in hearing from other passengers on how they feel about being charged for using the internet on an "all inclusive" cruise.

I don't have a problem because they could loose a ton of money, however, SilverSeas seemed more expensive than other lines. On PAII the packages started at $45.00 for 90 or 100 minutes. Somehow this translated into 4 log-ins and sending one or two short messages.

What experiences have those that have taken their own laptop on board and used the cabins wireless had? I understand that all cabins are wireless capable. If you prepared your messages before turning the wireless on and then send, how slow is the upload? I know you don't want all that spam and e-mails from your account at home downloading but, having an e-mail account just for your trip and giving it to family or business contacts might be OK.

If it works :rolleyes:

Best decision I ever made was to get a Netbook. You don't have to wait for others to get off of the internet. We used a gmail account and did not prepare any messages prior to sending.

I would be interested in hearing from other passengers on how they feel about being charged for using the internet on an "all inclusive" cruise.

That's because Silversea doesn't own the satellights and they already pay for the bandwith. I don't know of any cruise lines that include it because it's a seperate concessionaire. I always pretype my emails and on my own netbook so that I can just cut and paste and it takes seconds to send off.

To my knowledge all of the all inclusive lines charge for internet usage. Right or wrong, it is what it is. Phones, internet, news media, etc. are not in our lexicon when we're cruising. It's a real pleasure to get away from all of the BS. When we have gotten home from past 3-4 week cruises nothing has really changed anyway.

Best decision I ever made was to get a Netbook. You don't have to wait for others to get off of the internet. We used a gmail account and did not prepare any messages prior to sending.

I have a netbook as well, and look forward to using aboard the Shadow in September

Phones, internet, news media, etc. are not in our lexicon when we're cruising. It's a real pleasure to get away from all of the BS. When we have gotten home from past 3-4 week cruises nothing has really changed anyway.

I agree dougburns - when I'm cruising, I don't want to hear from anyone:D

Cheers

ging466

• 2 months later...

Free Internet for returning passengers would get me to sail with SS more often. I often have to email tour companies to finalize an excursion, get rid of the 80 spam mail I get each day, research a port of call or communicate with my company.

It might not be a big deal for some, but it sways me more towards Regent over SS.

Regent offers free internet in their return passenger loyalty benefits and 1-3 hours of free phone calls (depending upon loyalty level). Little benefits will always help in getting me to returnwill get my atension.can make bigger profits for SS.

When looking for a cruise, if I find the same trip on SS and Regent, for around the same price, I will sail Regent everytime just because of their extra loyalty benefits like free internet.

We get 1000 minutes for $250, so 25 cents a minute. We use every minute and are rationing.

We always bring one or two laptops. We're looking at a mini but haven't done that yet. I also bring my T-Mobile Blackberry, which works almost everywhere, and I email on that quite a bit. I only talk on the phone if there is an emergency of some sort.

We have never had an issue using the internet in the cabin on any of the ships (have not sailed on Cloud) but have heard of some others having to leave the door ajar.

Free Internet for returning passengers would get me to sail with SS more often. I often have to email tour companies to finalize an excursion, get rid of the 80 spam mail I get each day, research a port of call or communicate with my company.

It might not be a big deal for some, but it sways me more towards Regent over SS.

Regent offers free internet in their return passenger loyalty benefits and 1-3 hours of free phone calls (depending upon loyalty level). Little benefits will always help in getting me to returnwill get my atension.can make bigger profits for SS.

When looking for a cruise, if I find the same trip on SS and Regent, for around the same price, I will sail Regent everytime just because of their extra loyalty benefits like free internet.

Having just returned from A Regent cruise of 24 days, just for the heck of it,I kept a record of my internet charges ( what they would have been had I paid for them) and I SAVED $600, plus the fact that I was able to call our family a couple of times at NO CHARGE....comparing this to no laundry charges on SS to what I paid 0n Regent for the same service.... and the overall charges for cabins or suites.. we are definitely ahead of the game on Regent...

DebbieH103: When the great JackfromWA "published" his "book" aboard Oceania on his signature voyage, the 35 day "Hong Kong to Athens", it drew such attention that Oceania' boss, reading it on the internet, volunteered to wipe out all his internet charges on board plus invited him to be a lecturer the following year. Since you are a travel agent, and you seem willing to do what the two reporters expertcruiser and avidcruiser did last month during the sea trials, perhaps you can apply to Silversea to grant you free internet access for this maiden voyage while you broadcast on the internet your experiences and findings. Can this suggestion be considered?

People; what has happened to us? we used to go on vacation to get away from all this ! vacation def. a period of rest from work! if you have to take your blackberrys,laptops etc. maybe you shouldn't go . we only go around one time so enjoy !:mad:

People; what has happened to us? we used to go on vacation to get away from all this ! vacation def. a period of rest from work! if you have to take your blackberrys,laptops etc. maybe you shouldn't go . we only go around one time so enjoy !:mad:

Bill, you are so right, but some of us are still working, and the only way to mix business with pleasure is to have that internet connection. Better two hours working on Silversea (fill in the name of the ship) than 2 hours working at home =)

• 3 months later...

Current internet prices (as of this month on the Wind):

$250 for 1000 minutes (25 cents per minute)

$85 for 250 minutes (34 cents per minute)

$45 for 100 minutes (45 cents per minute)

or pay-as-you-go for 50 cents per minute

As DaveFR noted, the charge is for computer use including MS Excel and MS Word--not just Internet.

Archived