Why would people go to Wal-Mart in Puerto Vallarta

Schplinky

On 8/1/2009 at 4:57 PM, johnieo said:

I never go to walmart, I think walmart is the most disgusting company in the USA. They pay only minimum wage and make people live in poverty, while the CEO is making millions. The CEO has one of the highest pays in the retail segment of the world. There was a study done to show how much the CEO of walmart makes, that if you took his pay and the four vice presidents pay and only gave them one million each and then distributed all the excess pay to all the employees that they would all start at twelve dollars per hour . In Mexico they don't have a minimum wage so just think what these poor people are earning at the stores in Mexico.

Don't  attack something or people you don't apparently know anything about personally.  Most employees don't make minimum wage and are not "forced to live in poverty."  They not only provide jobs for thousands that would not have jobs if it were not for them but provide an affordable shopping experience for thousands more who can't afford to shop at high end stores that may pay more. 

I am looking forward to shopping at Walmart in PV next January. I will help the workers there keep their jobs and find a few bargains at the same time.  

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 7/28/2009 at 3:59 PM, bzy1 said:

SDPadreFan,

That is different, that could have been because of permits, etc. I was just pointing out that in Mexico, with Mexicans, WalMart is not known as the "Evil Empire" and does have different labor practices.

WalMart also has the generic drug program, similar to the U.S.... many RX drugs are 39 Pesos or less. Not all items are available. You can purchase any NON-NARCOTIC drug without an RX in Mexico, at WalMart or any farmacia although WalMart usually has the best price.

If you do not know the Spanish name, you can google most drugs and find the English/Spanish names or at least Latin name. Be sure to write it down to show the pharmacist.

I get a generic Lasix and it is 11 Pesos for 20 tablets, so less than $1.00 US Dollar. On the other hand, band names and new drugs are often about the same price.

Can you get Voltraen gel w/o prescription 

On 7/23/2019 at 6:39 AM, ktravel said:

Can you get Voltraen gel w/o prescription 

Yes no problem. Either at Walmart or Famacia Guadalajara

I wonder if I will be able to Buy Nitroglycerine sublingual spray for Angina without a prescription-on a cruise stop in Australia I bought it without a script for $20 Aussie and in the USA with script it’s Over $200! Weird!

• 2 weeks later...

I used to love watching the people leaving my ship when we were sailing in Hawaii.

Many of these people were Americans on a once-in-a-lifetime Hawaiian cruise.

At the Hilo terminal there was a bus stop.

On one side was a line for the free shuttle to WalMart.

On the other side was a $10 bus tour to visit the longest-erupting volcano in modern history.

The Walmart shuttle always had a long line.

The Volcano tour was always empty.

Priorities............................ 

• Haha 1

I'd guess most of the folks in the Walmart line were either crew or passengers who've seen the volcano.  It is very very popular with the crew.  

I doubt there are many that visit Hilo for the first time that don't go to the volcano  There are more like us, who've been there numerous times.  The volcano is most impressive the first few times. 

We don't take the shuttle, since we've always rented a car in Hilo, but we always stop by the Walmart.  

When I was working, I'd pick up a dozen or so really nice Hawaiian calendars for 99 cents each as gifts for my co-workers. 

Edited by CRUZBUDS