Review - CB 7/17/09 - 7/26/09

doolange

Hi Everyone! Just off the CB and wanted to give a review while everything is still fresh in my head! This is my second time on this ship (was on the same cruise last year) and this was my 8th cruise.

OUR GROUP - Myself (40) husband (42) friend (46) friend (46) eight teens (13, 16, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 19), MIL (64) FIL (66)

EMBARKMENT - We live 1/2 hrs. from the port. Left our house by 10:15, arrived by 11, smooth and easy and on the ship by 12:15. Went straight to the cabin and our luggage was there! Had lunch, unpacked and hung by the pool. This process is smooth and easy.

DINING - We had early seating and the first night our tables were not divided right. They also were configured in such a way that we were not really close. We complained and they gave us a great table the next night that was perfect. Very happy with the Maitre D'. Food was excellent. Something for everyone every night.

POOLS - Of course they are crowded and of course people get up bright and early, put a towel on the chair and go back to bed. However, I must say out of all my cruises, this seemed to be the easiest in the way of finding chairs. The only complaint I had, and I did go to the desk to complain, was the day we stopped in PR I didn't want to get off. All 3 pools were closed. Yes, that's right, all 3 pools were empty and closed. The only pool open was the adult pool at the back of the boat. It was so hot that day, that I couldn't sit on the deck. There was no rhyme or reason, just closed. When I asked at the deck, they couldn't answer. When they finally opened them in the afternoon, it started to rain, so it was useless. I could see closing one, but all? My 13 year old, who was staying on was too hot so he had to sit in the room.

BERMUDA - Took a cab to Jabson's Cove, as someone on these boards told me it was a great beach. The cab dropped us off ($9 per person each way)and when we got down to the water, we were told we couldn't go swimming as there was an unnamed mammal in the water????? We asked the park ranger what to do, and he pointed us to a trail and told us to follow it and it would take us to Horseshoe Bay. It took about 10 minutes (and loads of complaints from the kids) but we made it to Horseshoe Bay. I laughed that the cruise probably charges $100 per person for the same "Hiking Tour". It was actually a great little hike! We ended up enjoying Horseshoe Bay. Swam all day and headed back about 2:30.

SAN JUAN - Just got off around 7 and went to Senor Frogs. Crazy place but the kids enjoyed it.

ST. THOMAS - Took a cab to Megan's Bay ($9 per person each way). It was nice and relaxing.

GRAND TURK - Got off about 1:30 to go to Margharittaville. The Carnival ship was there already so the place was absolutely jamn packed. There were no chairs and the pool was standing room only. I was there about 5 minutes when an announcement came that there was something in the water and everyone needed to exit right away. Everyone got out and we had to wait 1 hour so the chemicals could take hold. P.S. it was a maxi pad floating in the water. The only good that came out of that was 1/2 the people left. So, if you could wait out the hour, the crowd died down and it was actually a lot of fun.

BEWARE OF - Very slippery pool decks. I witnessed 3 people fall. One man was in a wheelchair the rest of the cruise, one lady must have dislocated her shoulder or something. The other just got up. It is slippery. Walk with caution around the pools.

ENTERTAINMENT - The hypnotist was great. My son and 2 other teens got hypnotized. It is such a funny show that I went to all 4. The people all do different things so it really is entertaining. The comedian is hysterical, and the illusionist is great as well.

TEEN CLUB/SKYWALKERS - My 13 year old loved REMIX. He met a ton of great friends, and really enjoyed it. The 16/17 range is a bit tough. They sort of fall at that in between age. My personal opinion is they should do something for the 17-20 group like a seperate club of some sort. They let that age group into the club, but watch them like a hawk with the drinking, which is fine except I feel that they should be kept seperate. You have your over 21's getting smashed and the other age group is, in some cases, looking to find alcohol. I went here most nights to keep an eye on the older teens and witnessed the guards throwing people out and constantly catching the 17-20 group trying to buy or asking older people to buy the drinks. I feel this should be kept seperate.

WEATHER - Overall, good weather but very rocky for the first few days. We almost didn't make it into PR because the winds were too bad. On day 3, many people were feeling sick from the motion.

TEMPERATURE ON THE BOAT - Hot, hot, hot! Cabin was not that cold and the boat itself was pretty warm.

Overall a great cruise. We always have fun........who wouldn't it is a floating resort! Any questions, feel free to ask.

Thank you for a great, concise review. I have two questions if you would, how was the seafood buffet and how dressy is formal night. Since DH and I are going to NE and Canada, really don't want to pack black suit etc. can my DH get away with a sportcoat, shirt and tie?

Puggie's Grandma

Formal night was very formal, however, you can get away with a shirt and tie. One thing I forgot to mention is they were VERY strict about the dress code. My husband went on one of the port nights in kaki shorts and a nice dress shirt. The boy in front of him was in ripped jeans. My husband had to change and the ripped jeans were ok because they were pants. So NO SHORTS WHATSOEVER ON ANY NIGHT!!

I'm noticing this warm/hot issue with temp of ship & cabins on the CB. To me, this would be an issue. I'm sailing on the Crown & December & hope we don't have this issue. I like it nice & cool in the room, especially when I'm sleeping. Has anybody else had a/c problems on any other Princess cruises?

I'm noticing this warm/hot issue with temp of ship & cabins on the CB. To me, this would be an issue. I'm sailing on the Crown & December & hope we don't have this issue. I like it nice & cool in the room, especially when I'm sleeping. Has anybody else had a/c problems on any other Princess cruises?

Yes, we sailed the CB for the second time 2 years ago, and found our cabin (Emerald mid ship) to be a tad on the warm side, the whole trip. It really only got cool at three in the morning. Walking aft on the ship you noticed it got much cooler.

I see you are in Pittsburgh, we are in Bethel Park!

Karen

Thanks for your review! We will be on the CB on Aug. 4th. Just 9 short days from now! We are looking forward to it. I am concerned about how rough the seas were. I am sort of expecting some rocking between NY and Bermuda, but I have never had rough seas in the Caribbean. Any more details on that?

Also can I ask what deck or cabin you were in? Did some decks seem worse than others with the AC?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the great review. We just got off today as well. I will put up a review as well but in reply, I agree with all of your comments. Food was excellent, actually exceeded my expectations. Excellent service(with one exception that I will mention). Great embarkation in Brooklyn. We then experienced a Force 8 Gale on day two which made the ship rock rapidly, actually shook you back and forth. Captain ordered tugs for San Juan where winds were almost at gale force, then it rained in the afternoon. First time my family and I have been on Princess after multiple cruises on other lines and we really loved the better dining and service as compared to Carnival and even RCI. Yes, it was extremely slippery on deck. That with the motion of they ship caused multiple falls. Falls seem to occur off the carpeted area and off the teak wood. Something needs to be done to address this. Here's the negative we experienced. Last night especially, there were groups of teenagers, many of whom were drunk, roaming the ship and running, shouting and swearing up and down the cabin hallways. I thought I was on Carnival. My wife called security twice and we went to the Pursar's desk at 4:00 AM. We were on Deck 14 Aft. We were virtually unable to sleep between 2 and 4. The night manager's attitude and response while sympathetic, was there was little that could be done since there were "800" kids on the ship. While we were at the desk, some were banging on the piano and shouting and swearing. To us, this was entirely unacceptable. The parents have to be held accountable for allowing this behavior and somehow enabling alcohol to be available. The interruption of our sleep for most of the last night and the lack of enforcement of rules of conduct on a ship by those in charge really tainted our experience to some extent. I will be writing a letter to Princess about that.

Hi Everyone! Just off the CB and wanted to give a review while everything is still fresh in my head! This is my second time on this ship (was on the same cruise last year) and this was my 8th cruise.

OUR GROUP - Myself (40) husband (42) friend (46) friend (46) eight teens (13, 16, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 19), MIL (64) FIL (66)

EMBARKMENT - We live 1/2 hrs. from the port. Left our house by 10:15, arrived by 11, smooth and easy and on the ship by 12:15. Went straight to the cabin and our luggage was there! Had lunch, unpacked and hung by the pool. This process is smooth and easy.

DINING - We had early seating and the first night our tables were not divided right. They also were configured in such a way that we were not really close. We complained and they gave us a great table the next night that was perfect. Very happy with the Maitre D'. Food was excellent. Something for everyone every night.

POOLS - Of course they are crowded and of course people get up bright and early, put a towel on the chair and go back to bed. However, I must say out of all my cruises, this seemed to be the easiest in the way of finding chairs. The only complaint I had, and I did go to the desk to complain, was the day we stopped in PR I didn't want to get off. All 3 pools were closed. Yes, that's right, all 3 pools were empty and closed. The only pool open was the adult pool at the back of the boat. It was so hot that day, that I couldn't sit on the deck. There was no rhyme or reason, just closed. When I asked at the deck, they couldn't answer. When they finally opened them in the afternoon, it started to rain, so it was useless. I could see closing one, but all? My 13 year old, who was staying on was too hot so he had to sit in the room.

BERMUDA - Took a cab to Jabson's Cove, as someone on these boards told me it was a great beach. The cab dropped us off ($9 per person each way)and when we got down to the water, we were told we couldn't go swimming as there was an unnamed mammal in the water????? We asked the park ranger what to do, and he pointed us to a trail and told us to follow it and it would take us to Horseshoe Bay. It took about 10 minutes (and loads of complaints from the kids) but we made it to Horseshoe Bay. I laughed that the cruise probably charges $100 per person for the same "Hiking Tour". It was actually a great little hike! We ended up enjoying Horseshoe Bay. Swam all day and headed back about 2:30.

SAN JUAN - Just got off around 7 and went to Senor Frogs. Crazy place but the kids enjoyed it.

ST. THOMAS - Took a cab to Megan's Bay ($9 per person each way). It was nice and relaxing.

GRAND TURK - Got off about 1:30 to go to Margharittaville. The Carnival ship was there already so the place was absolutely jamn packed. There were no chairs and the pool was standing room only. I was there about 5 minutes when an announcement came that there was something in the water and everyone needed to exit right away. Everyone got out and we had to wait 1 hour so the chemicals could take hold. P.S. it was a maxi pad floating in the water. The only good that came out of that was 1/2 the people left. So, if you could wait out the hour, the crowd died down and it was actually a lot of fun.

BEWARE OF - Very slippery pool decks. I witnessed 3 people fall. One man was in a wheelchair the rest of the cruise, one lady must have dislocated her shoulder or something. The other just got up. It is slippery. Walk with caution around the pools.

ENTERTAINMENT - The hypnotist was great. My son and 2 other teens got hypnotized. It is such a funny show that I went to all 4. The people all do different things so it really is entertaining. The comedian is hysterical, and the illusionist is great as well.

TEEN CLUB/SKYWALKERS - My 13 year old loved REMIX. He met a ton of great friends, and really enjoyed it. The 16/17 range is a bit tough. They sort of fall at that in between age. My personal opinion is they should do something for the 17-20 group like a seperate club of some sort. They let that age group into the club, but watch them like a hawk with the drinking, which is fine except I feel that they should be kept seperate. You have your over 21's getting smashed and the other age group is, in some cases, looking to find alcohol. I went here most nights to keep an eye on the older teens and witnessed the guards throwing people out and constantly catching the 17-20 group trying to buy or asking older people to buy the drinks. I feel this should be kept seperate.

WEATHER - Overall, good weather but very rocky for the first few days. We almost didn't make it into PR because the winds were too bad. On day 3, many people were feeling sick from the motion.

TEMPERATURE ON THE BOAT - Hot, hot, hot! Cabin was not that cold and the boat itself was pretty warm.

Overall a great cruise. We always have fun........who wouldn't it is a floating resort! Any questions, feel free to ask.

I was on the same cruise and I would like to add a few things.....

Yes, The air conditioning was really terrible in some cabins and areas. We were on Doplphin. Room was warm. We had a maintenance person come and check. He made it a bit better.

Food was average at best. I am not a food snob but some things were inedible. This was at all venues. The specialty restaurants were average. Do not get the lobster in Sabitinis...Horrible.

It was great having a laundry. Came home with none to do. Best time to do laundry is early morning or late evening.

Sent clothes to be pressed immediately when we got on board. It was 80% of the cleaning price. (RCCL is 50%) clothes were back in less than 24 hours.

Grand Turk...spend the $7.00 per person and go to a beach. It was fabulous. Clean, not crowded, chairs for rent , food and drink. We came back to the pier at 3:00 and went to margaritaville for lunch. Crowds left at 4:30 and we shopped around. Everyone who was there all day said that the crowds were unbearable.

St. Thomas Did a morning excursion and then took a cab downtown. 4.oo per person. Great bargains on jewelry and watches. cabs are everywhere.

If you wish to attend a show in club Fusion, get there 1/2 an hour prior to showtime or you will not get a seat.

Disembarkation was smooth. We got off of the ship at 10:30. We were one of the last groups as we didn't have to catch a plane or train. Very smooth.

If there are any specific questions, ask away.

Just a few comments and I will answer any questions....

Embarkation - parked in lot... arrived at 11:45 on at 12:30 very easy.

We had 8 rooms all on Emerald Deck.... Plus - the rooms were much bigger than NCL or RCCL. Flat screen tvs were nice. Negative - room steward never left pool towels and I would have to hunt him down every morning. He always said he ran out. Also on other lines we got towel animals. None in our room. My SIL who had different steward did get them..My husband said his room was very warm and hardly ever slept. I thought my room was ok but I could not get it any colder. Some parts of the ship were warm.

Food - I didn't care for it. My husband and most family liked it. I thought it was over the top. For kids it was hard to order. My daughter got alphabet soup and chicken fingers every night because the menu was to complex. She hated the chicken fingers. So she always ended up with pizza later. Pizza is great.... The food buffet I stayed away. I was not impressed. Ice cream was always crowded. International Cafe was good. Got coffee card. Not all food is free. Need to ask. Strawberries are $1 but worth it.

Staff - some were ok but I thought they were all rather impersonal compared to other lines. Ate in Palm at early. Got to know our wait staff there. Tipped them extra as they were pretty good. Disliked most of the other staff. Pursers desk was extremely rude. I was to get coupon books with my room. I had vouchers but no books. Was told they would be in my room next day. Never happened. They took my stubs so I went again. Was told they were out but they would have them in St. Thomas. Took our room numbers and were told that they would be delivered after arriving in St. Thomas. Never arrived. Went to desk again. Was told they had them and I needed my stubs. I told them that I all ready turned them in. She was so mean and explained that they needed them for accounting and that how was she supposed to know that I was to really get them. Yeah I felt like going to the Pursars Desk 4 times and wasting my time because I was lying. What happened to the stubs I turned in and the promise of delivery to my room. In the end she would only give me 6 of 16. I felt very upset that she thought I was trying to scam her. I had the top parts of the vouchers but... I did eventually see two of the people I had spoken to before but the line was too long. Lesson learned get the names of everyone you talk too. Again very arrogant staff. Really disappointed in that. I am not sure if this line is supposed to be stuffier. I just felt that on other cruise lines you got to know your staff. They became more like family. I couldn't even tell you anyones name except my waiter/asst. waiter. Again just my experience and my families.

Will post part two - ships ports...

Bermuda - bought bus tokens right of ship and went to Horshoe Bay. Rented chairs/umbrellas. Beautiful and easy.

Puerto Rico - I really didn't know what to do but it was much easier than I thought. We got two taxis for 11 people. $19 each taxi (not person) and went to Isla Verde. Took taxi card. Taxis are arranged right off ship. There is two places to rent chairs/umbrellas (thank goodness we got umbrella because of rain). Set up in front of Intercontinental hotel. I mention this because there is food/bar service beach front and also what a great hotel. My daughter got stung by a jelly fish. She was in a lot of pain. I took her to security at the hotel. They knew that we were not staying there but we had ordered food from them. They were so kind. Cannot say enough about the generosity of all their staff. If you ever fly and need to stay in PR stay there. They let her shower and applied a cortisone cream. They calmed her down and let her wait for about 20 minutes till she felt better. Really really nice people.

St. Thomas - Taxi to Megans Bay. $9 per person. Beautiful views on the way up the mountain. Our driver was not for the faint of heart. Had a nice day. Not that crowded. Taxis there when you are ready to leave. Nice talkative driver on the way back. Did not charge for little ones. Much mellower ride.

Grand Turk. - I know it was crowded but it was fine. I got massage there. $20 for 15 minutes. She was good. Beach is rocky. Need water shoes or to rent float. In hindsight we should have rented taxi to different beach. Brought snorkeling and couldnt find any although I heard there was a good beach (Governors?).

All in all ports were good. PR did rain (A LOT) but you can't help that. We actually have funny pics of all of us under an umbrella trying to wait it out.

Entertainment - Production shows were fantastic. Broadway quality. Cant say enough. Costume changes/ sets /lights. Very good.

Hypnotist was great. So good it is hard to believe. Comedians were ok but if you saw one show the other ones were the same. As mentioned before if you want to go to theater of club fusion or explorers for show get there early. Princess Idol was good.

Pool - I seemed to get lucky with chair. Could usually find one. Great sea day weather especially on the way back. Liked MUTS. At night thought I was surprised that the sound quality wasn't that good. People would go by the pool at night and be loud and it was actually worse than watching the movies during the day. Not sure why.

Desembarkation - last ones off at 10:20. No problems. Very quick.

I think that is it. Overall I liked it but again it came back to the staff. I just wasn't that impressed. Ship is very pretty. Wish the venues (theater etc) were bigger.

Any questions just ask.

Patti

PS Robin sorry I never saw you. Feel free to email me privately.

wongpatti@yahoo.com

Captain Marco Fortezze. What is MD?

Bubbie - Don't rethink your trip you will be fine. I think if my husband had said something they would have done something. If you find your room uncomfortable I would definitely say something as your husband has a medical condition. I found some areas to be warm but not unbearable. Again my husband said his room was very warm. I was right next door. I wouldn't say it was chilly but it was comfortable. I couldn't have made it any colder though.

Have fun and just follow through with staff so that your husband is safe.

Patti

• Administrators

Grand Turk...spend the $7.00 per person and go to a beach. It was fabulous. Clean, not crowded, chairs for rent , food and drink. We came back to the pier at 3:00 and went to margaritaville for lunch. Crowds left at 4:30 and we shopped around. Everyone who was there all day said that the crowds were unbearable.

Hi!

Which beach was this?

Laura

Just a few comments and I will answer any questions....

Embarkation - parked in lot... arrived at 11:45 on at 12:30 very easy.

We had 8 rooms all on Emerald Deck.... Plus - the rooms were much bigger than NCL or RCCL. Flat screen tvs were nice. Negative - room steward never left pool towels and I would have to hunt him down every morning. He always said he ran out. Also on other lines we got towel animals. None in our room. My SIL who had different steward did get them..My husband said his room was very warm and hardly ever slept. I thought my room was ok but I could not get it any colder. Some parts of the ship were warm.

Food - I didn't care for it. My husband and most family liked it. I thought it was over the top. For kids it was hard to order. My daughter got alphabet soup and chicken fingers every night because the menu was to complex. She hated the chicken fingers. So she always ended up with pizza later. Pizza is great.... The food buffet I stayed away. I was not impressed. Ice cream was always crowded. International Cafe was good. Got coffee card. Not all food is free. Need to ask. Strawberries are $1 but worth it.

Staff - some were ok but I thought they were all rather impersonal compared to other lines. Ate in Palm at early. Got to know our wait staff there. Tipped them extra as they were pretty good. Disliked most of the other staff. Pursers desk was extremely rude. I was to get coupon books with my room. I had vouchers but no books. Was told they would be in my room next day. Never happened. They took my stubs so I went again. Was told they were out but they would have them in St. Thomas. Took our room numbers and were told that they would be delivered after arriving in St. Thomas. Never arrived. Went to desk again. Was told they had them and I needed my stubs. I told them that I all ready turned them in. She was so mean and explained that they needed them for accounting and that how was she supposed to know that I was to really get them. Yeah I felt like going to the Pursars Desk 4 times and wasting my time because I was lying. What happened to the stubs I turned in and the promise of delivery to my room. In the end she would only give me 6 of 16. I felt very upset that she thought I was trying to scam her. I had the top parts of the vouchers but... I did eventually see two of the people I had spoken to before but the line was too long. Lesson learned get the names of everyone you talk too. Again very arrogant staff. Really disappointed in that. I am not sure if this line is supposed to be stuffier. I just felt that on other cruise lines you got to know your staff. They became more like family. I couldn't even tell you anyones name except my waiter/asst. waiter. Again just my experience and my families.

Will post part two - ships ports...

Speaking of rude employees, is Natalie still a member of the cruise staff on this ship? I probably will never forget her. Just curious as to whether she is still aboard.

I remember a Natalie from the CB from last year. If it's the same one, she had the patience of a gnat:p Think she was part of the CD staff.

That's the one......she was part of the CD staff. She is probably the rudest employee I have encountered on any of the 23 cruise ships I've sailed on. Thankfully,

she is the only negative I can remember from our cruise on the Caribbean Princess. I wonder how she keeps her job with the "patience of a gnat".

Archived