Silly Question for the Ladies

linmar114

Am wondering what I should carry around with me on the shore excursions as far as a purse, tote, or?? Not doing any hiking, just whale watching, floatplane trip, train, etc so don't feel I need a backpack. Am wondering what most of you carry your "esential stuff" in. Don't want to look silly carrying a handbag around........

I used a big ZIPPERED beach bag put extra clothes in hats mitts etc if needed. bulky cameras and cases -Binoculars /wallet plus good for purchases along the way

My cameras always ran out of memory I took that many pictures and film .BRING EXTRA charged batteries for all

I have to shop for mine here ...could not find them there

Recharge all every night

I took close to 2000 pictures ..can you believe it????

You will love your trip BON VOYAGE

Michele

Which ship ...we LOVED CARNIVAL SPIRIT

Cruise card, credit card, cell phone, small camera, chapstick, driver's license, and about 50 in cash. That would probably be all that I need for the day.

Sound like we pack similarly. Everything I need goes in my everyday purse :) I would bring less cash (but I'm not a shopper) but also add a pair of sunglasses to the bag, just in case.

I always take a smaller sized backpack poncho's,scarf, mittens, money, eyeglasses, sunglass's, all my camera stuff goes inside a waterproof bag, then inside backpack. I don't want my camera to get wet if backpack happens to be placed on the floor (tours) and if I happen to purchase anything it also can go in the backpack along with all the papers of info you pick up. the backpack works only because I like my hands free- not holding a purse Karon:) also carries my tour confirmation papers and phone numbers

Sound like we pack similarly. Everything I need goes in my everyday purse :) I would bring less cash (but I'm not a shopper) but also add a pair of sunglasses to the bag, just in case.

Sunglasses are perched on my head (Instant hairband:)). I also bring a small packet of sunscreen whereever I go.

A lot of times I can get away with no purse, but at the maximium I carry a "cross-body bag". This is a small pouch type purse that has a long sturdy strap to cross the body. It is not ment to fit much more than a bit of money and your passport. I carried one every day in China, and it worked great.

Sunglasses are perched on my head (Instant hairband:)). I also bring a small packet of sunscreen whereever I go.

A lot of times I can get away with no purse, but at the maximium I carry a "cross-body bag". This is a small pouch type purse that has a long sturdy strap to cross the body. It is not ment to fit much more than a bit of money and your passport. I carried one every day in China, and it worked great.

I do the same. I have my "Bagalini" It carries my passport, any credit card, cash and usually some lip balm, lipstick, small sun screen and insect repellent. I like to travel light. My "fur" hat and gloves fit in my jacket pocket so I am really all set to go.

Smiles..........Kitty (Nan)

i try hard to limit myself to what will fit in my pockets, CC, ship card, copy of passport (well, not for alaska), DL, cash, and a tiny first aid kit (ibuprofen, a couple of bandaids and hand sanitizer). wear binoculars around my neck. DD will have her camera cause she takes hundreds of pictures. gloves and hats go in my rain jacket pocket. and i am ready to go!

I put on my sunscreen and insect repellant before i leave.

And usually carry a bottle of water off the ship.

Have a great trip!

Beverly

I take a bag that will hold my jacket and sweater in case it gets warm. Also, I keep my passport, wallet, sunglasses, gum, lip balm (your lips get really dry on those whale tours).

Don't forget extra memory. We took 5,000+ photos on our trip and I was glad I always had another memory card with me.

I have the medium sized 'teardrop' healthy back bag from LLBean - it goes over one shoulder and doesn't hurt my back/shoulders the way a backpack or purse would.

And my husband usually ends up doing most of the carrying. ;)

For Alaska we'll add those little mosquito repellent towelettes. Otherwise it's money and ID, aspirin, camera, small binoculars, sunscreen....less is better.

The only purse I'm bringing along is a tiny black Sac purse for evenings.

Leaving stuff home is harder than cramming it all into a suitcase!

I found a jean-type purse with a strap long enough to wear so I will be hands-free. That way I can bring with everything that my husband wouldn't carry - like lip balm, camera, etc. You get the picture!

The hands-free is the important part.

It's a smaller version of a backpack, you can use it as that or close the drawstring and carry it. That should hold just about anything you need for the day. The string is actually about the size of a large shoestring.

I used a fanny pack and it worked well. It held my digital camera, $$, other little things. I also stuffed things in my jeans pockets and vest pockets. I wanted my hands free for taking pictures and didn't want to carry around alot of baggage. I had a backpack that held things I was going to need for the day which I left in the hotel (cruisetour) or stateroom-(cruise). We had a great time. Enjoy your trip.:)

I have a purse that in addition to the handle has backpack straps. It is my favorite "travel" purse. It's smaller than a real backpack, but large enough to carry the camera, odds and ends, a lightweight jacket etc. They were popular several years ago and I've used it for all seasons traveling. I think it's a Dooney Bourke. I especially like that it has a small exterior zipper pocket that is up against my back so I don't have to worry about any wallet/passport theft if I'm in a tight crowd. If someone were to get into the purse when I would be unaware they could only access non-essential stuff in the main enclosure.

I sail solo so I always carry my own stuff and even if I had someone

(husband, partner, etc) I prefer to carry my own things. Maybe

that just comes from being on my own for so many years;)

I have a lightweight, nylon, crossbody bag that holds my camera,

money, credit cards, etc...etc...etc....It looks small but carries

plenty and has some zippered areas and it works great for me:)

Everyone has their own choices of what to bring that is for sure:D

To the OP, its a great question(not a silly one) because a handbag would be totally

uncomfortable......I love being hands free:)

I found a crossbody bag at ebags that will hold my camera, long lens, binoculars, sunglasses, travel wallet, has room for water bottle, & still has room to stuff in a jacket or purchases. All the pockets have zippers so nothing will fall out. It will hold more than I probably will want to carry every day. I always travel with a crossbody bag to keep my hands free.

I take a bag that will hold my jacket and sweater in case it gets warm. Also, I keep my passport, wallet, sunglasses, gum, lip balm (your lips get really dry on those whale tours).

Don't forget extra memory. We took 5,000+ photos on our trip and I was glad I always had another memory card with me.

Alaska is all about layers, and during the day, you will find you will need to start taking them off and then putting them back on.

I have the best travel bag:

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=21

I either have the 200 or 300 (Can't remember which).

It has a long strap to go over one shoulder and across my body, and hidden in a back zipper are two straps that pull out to use it like a back pack when you want.

What's great about it, is you can lock the main compartment, as well as the long strap to lock it to something. When we are out snorkeling on the beach, we can lock our regular camera and other things we don't want to bring into the water with us inside the bag, and then lock the bag to a table or chair. One time there wasn't any furniture on the beach, so we locked it to the hand rail.

It also acts as an extra safe in your room when you are at dinner!

Very handy in Europe where pick pockets actually use utility knifes (Box cutters) to slash the bottom of your purse so your wallet falls out. The material actually has a layer of chicken wire like stuff between the layers to prevent anyone from slashing the material.

It's the perfect size for two thin jackets, sunglass cases and camera bag, plus small things like the ID, etc.

Archived