how to enjoy the day at Mykonos

xiaobei

We planned our day there to be one of just "relax"...... we took the shuttle from the ship into town and mainly walked around.

In retrospect I wish we had done a little more here. We toyed with the idea of taking the ferry over to Delos..... and before we left we also thought about renting scooters and exploring the island. I think that would have been fun too.

While the town area is charming, in my opinion, it is good for maybe a half day tops. Do get a gyro there tho !!!! YUM !!!!! And the shopping is good too. Especially the jewelry and leather goods.

From the moment we began considering this port as a stop I had only one thought.

The Island of Delos was one of the major pilgrimage sites of the ancient world. It is the birthplace of Apollo and his sister Artemis. For hundreds of years it was a huge religious center and people all over the Mediterranean sent their gifts there. For me, it is definitely the MUST DO thing. When I got there I was not disappointed. Like Salisbury Cathedral and the Ring of Brodgar in Orkney, it is a place where the ancient religion still lingers. Whatever name you give to the power that rests there, it can be palpably felt as you walk among the stones.

Going to the beach or walking around town was not an option for me. I will always remember Delos!

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/med.html

YMMV.

From the moment we began considering this port as a stop I had only one thought.

The Island of Delos was one of the major pilgrimage sites of the ancient world. It is the birthplace of Apollo and his sister Artemis. For hundreds of years it was a huge religious center and people all over the Mediterranean sent their gifts there. For me, it is definitely the MUST DO thing. When I got there I was not disappointed. Like Salisbury Cathedral and the Ring of Brodgar in Orkney, it is a place where the ancient religion still lingers. Whatever name you give to the power that rests there, it can be palpably felt as you walk among the stones.

Going to the beach or walking around town was not an option for me. I will always remember Delos!

YMMV.

Mike, a beautiful post. We felt the same. Thank you.

YMMV.

Our October cruise (Celebrity Solstice) is in Mykonos on a Monday, and supposedly Delos is "closed" on Mondays (typical of many museums in Europe). I saw a post from a while back indicating that some ships arrange for special Monday excursions anyway. Does anybody have first hand knowledge of whether and how you can get to Delos on a Monday? The Celebrity info currently has no ship excursions listed for that day. Thanks

Our October cruise (Celebrity Solstice) is in Mykonos on a Monday, and supposedly Delos is "closed" on Mondays (typical of many museums in Europe). I saw a post from a while back indicating that some ships arrange for special Monday excursions anyway. Does anybody have first hand knowledge of whether and how you can get to Delos on a Monday? The Celebrity info currently has no ship excursions listed for that day. Thanks

if the tour office who cooperate with the ship has the admission, can open Delos for Mondays ... Delos don't open Mondays for any other reason.. only for cruise ship excursions...

if the tour office who cooperate with the ship has the admission, can open Delos for Mondays ... Delos don't open Mondays for any other reason.. only for cruise ship excursions...

I just realized that somebody recently asked the same question (regarding a Princess cruise hitting Mykonos on a Monday). I should have checked the boards first. Thanks for repeating the information anyway. As others have noted, you have been a great resource.

Archived