Transferring Ships in Los Angeles

CaptainDMW

Hello - has anyone transferred ships (same day) in LA? We get in Sept 26 on the NCL Star and transfer to the NCL Pearl the same day. Has anyone done it? I'm hoping they are close by. I'd love to get off the Star, get the luggage dropped off and have a 1 to 2 hour tour of LA before checking in on the Pearl. Is that a possibility? Thank you.

As I recall, the LA/San Pedro dock is "L" shaped. So, assuming both ships will dock there, they should be parked in perpendicular fashion within a stone's throw of each other.

If you are interested in maritime history, there a museum and a number WWII memorials within walking distance of the terminal. This includes the fully restored SS Lane Victory "victory" ship. LA is a very big place and San Pedro is probably not near anything else you'd want to see, so I'm not sure you would have enough time venture further.

If you leave the fenced-in terminal area on foot, be sure to take your passports and cruise documentation with you. Otherwise you might not be able to return. ;-)

You will arrive at berth 92 and transfer to Berth 87. In addition to the two NCL ships there will be one other ship, Princess Saphire, in port that day. It won't be a big deal to get from one ship to the other.

Keith

I just wanted to mention that a "1 to 2 hour tour" isn't going to show you much of LA. The piers are not actually in Los Angeles. IMO, you'd be better served by sticking around the Long Beach area, checking out the old Queen Mary, visiting the aquarium, wandering through the shops, and such.

beachchick

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I second "Beachchick's" suggestion. After you leave the ship, have a taxi take you to the Aquarium of the Pacific is Long Beach (make sure that the cab driver uses the meter), and you can walk around this area for an hour or two. This is all you will have time for as San Pedro is really not close to any of the tourist areas of Los Angeles.

Archived