gladiator-like sandels w/jean shorts - the new style?

So I was in NYC for the past 5 nights and noticed numerous people gladiator-like sandals w/shirt jean shorts. Did I not get the memo that this is the new style? I absolutely LOVE the look, but where do you find gladiator sandals that are that comfy to wear while doing a lot of walking?

I'm used to switching b/t 41snTE4AGML._AA280_.jpg and 41ZDVMHK5CL._AA280_.jpg

The skechers shape-ups are a little heavy, so they bother my already-messed up foot that is sensitive to being pulled-on too much. The padding under them, however, is unbeatable. The other sketchers are nice and light, but the sole doesn't provide as much cushioning and my feet start to hurt on the bottoms after awhile.

Like any other shoe, you have to try on a number of pairs and styles before you find the ones that fit your type of foot and are comfortable.

I love the look of gladiator sandals, but think I will pass...they are for a much younger woman than myself. But, you can adapt just about any shoe (that fits) to your particular foot. I find so many insoles, arch supports, ball of the foot cushions....all in colors that won't stand out and will make a shoe comfortable for walking or standing. Drug stores carry them, many times you can find adaptive materials right in the shoe department of your larger stores.

I cannot stand or walk in a completely flat shoe, such as some of the sandals I see now. Even my New Balance walking shoes need arch support on my right foot.

If the shoe fits, but it and adapt it :)

I find that strappy sandals cut into my feet if I wear them for hours on end, or when walking in really hot weather - especially if your feet swell at all in heat & humidity. So that means my flat gladiator"ish" sandals are worn just for quick trips or when going to dinner.

Years ago I bought a pair of fisherman style sandals at Nordstrom and I absolutely wore them into the ground (had the heels replaced twice!) over several summers and thousands of miles. They straps were a bit wider so they didn't cut into my feet. I loved those shoes and was really sad when they finally bit the dust. So maybe if you find gladiator-type sandals with wider straps then they'll be comfortable enough to wear for walking?

41ZDVMHK5CL._AA280_.jpg

The other sketchers are nice and light, but the sole doesn't provide as much cushioning and my feet start to hurt on the bottoms after awhile.

I have a pair of Merrill "Plie" that are similar to the shoe you showed. They have terrific arch support - I wore them all over Italy with no foot pain at all. I found them at Zappo's but they seem to be available all over the Internet.

As for the gladiator sandals, no thanks. I'm done with torturing my feet, and I'm a little "mature" for that style.:)

I have a pair of Merrill "Plie" that are similar to the shoe you showed. They have terrific arch support - I wore them all over Italy with no foot pain at all. I found them at Zappo's but they seem to be available all over the Internet.

As for the gladiator sandals, no thanks. I'm done with torturing my feet, and I'm a little "mature" for that style.:)

Well..I almost injured my husband of 45 years today! He insisted on going shoe shopping with me. I was looking for a comfortable pair of low heel dress shoes. I had a joint in the big toe replaced and cannot wear heels. I told him I wear a 9 wide. We were in a chain store. He kept bringing 9 1/2 medium. I said "9 wide", he said,"well these should fit the same"! I said "nothing but 9 wide". He brought heels to me. I said "low heels..these are too high". He came to me with 4 boxes..all 9 1/2 wide. I said "STOP HELPING ME. I WANT TO GO HOME". Tomorrow I'll go out alone. MEN!

Well..I almost injured my husband of 45 years today! He insisted on going shoe shopping with me. ... Tomorrow I'll go out alone. MEN!

I'm with you sister!!! My husband came to the mall with me on Sunday. I never go to the mall - it's a special outing for me. He wants to get in and out in 10 minutes, where I want to browse. What about browse does he not understand? Ugh. Love him to death, but no more shopping trips with him.

I'm with you sister!!! My husband came to the mall with me on Sunday. I never go to the mall - it's a special outing for me. He wants to get in and out in 10 minutes, where I want to browse. What about browse does he not understand? Ugh. Love him to death, but no more shopping trips with him.

There should be a sports bar in every mall.

Well..I almost injured my husband of 45 years today! He insisted on going shoe shopping with me. I was looking for a comfortable pair of low heel dress shoes. I had a joint in the big toe replaced and cannot wear heels. I told him I wear a 9 wide. We were in a chain store. He kept bringing 9 1/2 medium. I said "9 wide", he said,"well these should fit the same"! I said "nothing but 9 wide". He brought heels to me. I said "low heels..these are too high". He came to me with 4 boxes..all 9 1/2 wide. I said "STOP HELPING ME. I WANT TO GO HOME". Tomorrow I'll go out alone. MEN!

There should be a sports bar in every mall.

I know that this is "off topic" and I do apologise but had to add my two cents worth. My husband died almost six years ago and I miss him more than you or he could ever imagine and would love to have him back by my side - however, never on God's green earth would I allow him to go shopping with me - can you spell Pain in the butt? I swear that the man was allergic to shopping and he drove me crazy. It was a toss up who was sulking more in the car going home - him because he hated shopping, or me because he totally destroyed what would have been a wonderful experience for me.:D

To the OP - the one thing I have noticed about Gladiator Sandals is that they tend to overtake your look - the eyes go immediately to the sandals. If that's what you are aiming for then I wish you the very best of luck in finding them, and finding a comfortable pair.

Valerie:)

I posed a question very similar to this a long time ago and Madelinerose really helped me out by finding a website with a lot of gladiator styles. While I know they're not for everyone:rolleyes:, these Born gladiator sandals I wore while on my 10 day Baltic cruise were uber-comfortable for walking all day, and had just a smidge of a heel with nice arch support. They're called Rue. Here's the link (I got them from zappos). Good luck finding the perfect pair for you!

http://www.zappos.com/product/7497145/color/181427

Those sandals are ugly---they really don't make your feet look womanish or girly, or anything remotely feminine!

LOL, I agree with you. Personally, I think they are very unattractive shoes and I'll be glad when this fad passes.

Thanks so much, noteasilyimpressed!!!

Yeah, I used to think they were the ugliest things ever, too...until I saw them on people. I don't like the look of just the shoe itself, but when paired w/the right shorts I think they can look pretty sexy.

I agree, they are very ugly and I think anyone who wears them risks making a spectacle of themselves..or they'd better have nice lean legs to make it look halfway decent.

Those sandals are ugly---they really don't make your feet look womanish or girly, or anything remotely feminine!

I agree, they are very ugly and I think anyone who wears them risks making a spectacle of themselves..or they'd better have nice lean legs to make it look halfway decent.

Nah, they even look crappy on Heidi Klum, or at least make her legs look stumpy.

This too shall pass.:D I don't think it will ever be considered a classic look.

Wow - I guess because some people say it then it makes it so?:D Jeez! This look is very pretty. It's been here for a bit now. People hated Uggs too, and they still sell very well. And in my opinion - 'classic' looks are usually quite dull, honestly. Typical pumps, boring flats, square purses, blah.:rolleyes:

That's why fashion is so wonderful - there is something for everyone. Yes, I'm lean with good legs and I'm sure it helps - but I LOVE the way these cute sandals look on lots of people. So much more edgy than the boring norm, in my opinion!:)

I posed a question very similar to this a long time ago and Madelinerose really helped me out by finding a website with a lot of gladiator styles. While I know they're not for everyone:rolleyes:, these Born gladiator sandals I wore while on my 10 day Baltic cruise were uber-comfortable for walking all day, and had just a smidge of a heel with nice arch support. They're called Rue. Here's the link (I got them from zappos). Good luck finding the perfect pair for you!

http://www.zappos.com/product/7497145/color/181427

O wow - those are really cute! They look pretty comfy - I'm going to give them a try - thanks!

You know, I think you might be right. Lots of people think something looks darling on them and it looks hideous. I spent the afternoon at the beach today and was noticing the bathing suits that some women think look darling on them should have stayed in the closet.

Classic looks are the things you still see around..a classic blazer, shirt, etc..not these shoes for sure.

Nah, they even look crappy on Heidi Klum, or at least make her legs look stumpy.

This too shall pass.:D I don't think it will ever be considered a classic look.

I know that this is "off topic" and I do apologise but had to add my two cents worth. My husband died almost six years ago and I miss him more than you or he could ever imagine and would love to have him back by my side - however, never on God's green earth would I allow him to go shopping with me - can you spell Pain in the butt? I swear that the man was allergic to shopping and he drove me crazy. It was a toss up who was sulking more in the car going home - him because he hated shopping, or me because he totally destroyed what would have been a wonderful experience for me.:D

To the OP - the one thing I have noticed about Gladiator Sandals is that they tend to overtake your look - the eyes go immediately to the sandals. If that's what you are aiming for then I wish you the very best of luck in finding them, and finding a comfortable pair.

Valerie:)

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your husband. No, I can't imagine how much you miss him. I dread the thought of surviving my husband some day. After 45 years, he is a part of me. However, that said, I will never take him shopping again!

Wow - I guess because some people say it then it makes it so?:D Jeez! This look is very pretty. It's been here for a bit now. People hated Uggs too, and they still sell very well. And in my opinion - 'classic' looks are usually quite dull, honestly. Typical pumps, boring flats, square purses, blah.:rolleyes:

That's why fashion is so wonderful - there is something for everyone. Yes, I'm lean with good legs and I'm sure it helps - but I LOVE the way these cute sandals look on lots of people. So much more edgy than the boring norm, in my opinion!:)

Hmmmmm, with your logic then what you just said makes IT so.

You gave your opinion others give theirs.

As far as classics, they will always stand the test of time and the words, "what was I thinking" will never be uttered in the same breath.:p

As far as classics, they will always stand the test of time and the words, "what was I thinking" will never be uttered in the same breath.:p

Truer words were never spoken!

Oh wow... good point.

I think the shoes are definitely trendy, and flat styles are really "in" right now. Will it be around in 10, 20 years? Doubt it. But that's my prediction... who really knows? :p

Actually, now that I think about it, they'll probably be coming "back in" style... the gladiator flat sandal was worn by me in the early to mid 80's.:D

Whoever suggested "easy spirit" is brilliant.. you want comfy and cute, go there. ;)

These are just my thoughts. Good luck in your quest. :)

Oh wow... good point.

I think the shoes are definitely trendy, and flat styles are really "in" right now. Will it be around in 10, 20 years? Doubt it. But that's my prediction... who really knows? :p

Actually, now that I think about it, they'll probably be coming "back in" style... the gladiator flat sandal was worn by me in the early to mid 80's.:D

Whoever suggested "easy spirit" is brilliant.. you want comfy and cute, go there. ;)

These are just my thoughts. Good luck in your quest. :)

Thanks - I suggested Easy Spirit - I love the shoes there and they are really comfy and they have trendy styles. For me, 'classic' just tends to look kind of old. Blazers, boring pumps - that kind of thing. I guess it depends on age and personal style. No one expects something trendy to be around forever, obviously. I think that's the allure of it - classic looks may stick around but they can be a dull look. Trendy gives you the chance to wear things that are current. If I was on a tight budget, though, I would probably tend to buy only classic styles but luckily I'm okay in that respect!

Besides - this way you get to point to old photos and say 'See, I was cool!' lol! Everything old is new again, right - like these sandals when you wore them! :p When I eventually have kids I can't wait for them to look back at photos of me in the 90's and say 'what were you wearing?'

I am a shoe-ho! There! I said it. I used to work in the shoe dept of a G-Fox/Filenes. I've seen them come and go! I've seen spikes, espariles, spectators, mules, pumps in all colors, weejens, sandals in such fun colors and designs, eveing shoes, clogs, slip ons, chunky (I hated chuncky!) Candies (ouch!) and yes, those Easy Spirits and yuk, those awful Naturalizers!:p Trends come and go but there were always comfortable and stylish flats no matter what.

Now for the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn, Google "Conversation Shoes" by Apropos. I got them in Boston outside the Marketplace at a little kiosk they had but you can buy on line. It's unfortunate that my dog chewed them on me but they were like buttah! I had a ballet style in a linen color. And they are great for travel. The styles and colors change by season but you might find something you like.:)

I am a shoe-ho! There! I said it. I used to work in the shoe dept of a G-Fox/Filenes. I've seen them come and go! I've seen spikes, espariles, spectators, mules, pumps in all colors, weejens, sandals in such fun colors and designs, eveing shoes, clogs, slip ons, chunky (I hated chuncky!) Candies (ouch!) and yes, those Easy Spirits and yuk, those awful Naturalizers!:p Trends come and go but there were always comfortable and stylish flats no matter what.

Now for the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn, Google "Conversation Shoes" by Apropos. I got them in Boston outside the Marketplace at a little kiosk they had but you can buy on line. It's unfortunate that my dog chewed them on me but they were like buttah! I had a ballet style in a linen color. And they are great for travel. The styles and colors change by season but you might find something you like.:)

I will totally check those out!! From one shoe ho to another - thank you!!:p I love, love, love my Blowfish shoes. You just can't beat them for comfort. They feel better and for longer walking periods than my easy spirits, even. I have both kinds below and they are a really hip, funky kind of canvas, gathered style. Really current and cool with cargo's or jeans!

3789352513_165cd8d099_o.jpg

3789352501_57433b52a0_o.jpg

Archived