Solstice shore excursion in Athens?

dwindy

I understand that it is important to get to the Acropolis/parthenon in Athens as early as possible due to heat and crowds. I think I heard that it opens to visitors at 8am. Celebrity Soltice only has excursions beginning at 9:45am posted. Did earlier times sell out? Or is there something else my friend and I could do to get an excusion that will get us to the acropolis earlier?

time is running out. any help would be appreciated.

donna

We are on a Med Cruise the end of October and we went on line and found taxi services in Athens that can meet you at the ship whatever time you want to leave. I don't think we are allowed to post companies on here or I would tell you who we are using; but do a quick search on the internet and send an email to one of the companies.:)

I understand that it is important to get to the Acropolis/parthenon in Athens as early as possible due to heat and crowds. I think I heard that it opens to visitors at 8am. Celebrity Soltice only has excursions beginning at 9:45am posted. Did earlier times sell out? Or is there something else my friend and I could do to get an excusion that will get us to the acropolis earlier?

donna

Traffic in Athens can be horrid and cab drivers sketchy too. If you get off first thing, take a cab the 5 minute drive to the train station (maybe 30 minute walk). It costs 1 Euro each way, and is quick, clean, and efficient. You will be at the Piraeus terminal station on the M1 line- take the train to Omonia station, transfer to red M2 line direction Agios Dmitrios, then get off 3 stops later at Acropoli station. It's actually faster than cabbing when the traffic is bad. Admission is 12 Euro.

thanks everyone.

talking mass transit in a far away land scares me a bit.

is there anyone taking a celebrity tour that leaves earlier than 9:45am?

otherwise, I could look into another tour company like suggested.

donna

Here is something to think about. We were on the Solstice that docked in Athens on July 14th. We didn't get to the Acropolis until 1:00 on our walking tour and although it was HOT, it was not crowded. We talked to people who went on the shore excursions who said it took an hour to walk down from the top due to the crowds. They said at one point they stopped allowing people to walk up so they could control the crowds coming down. I can't imagine being stuck in a line of people in that heat! We walked to the train station (25 minutes, I would suggest taking a taxi) and caught the train. It was very easy to do.

Here is something to think about. We were on the Solstice that docked in Athens on July 14th. We didn't get to the Acropolis until 1:00 on our walking tour and although it was HOT, it was not crowded. We talked to people who went on the shore excursions who said it took an hour to walk down from the top due to the crowds. They said at one point they stopped allowing people to walk up so they could control the crowds coming down. I can't imagine being stuck in a line of people in that heat! We walked to the train station (25 minutes, I would suggest taking a taxi) and caught the train. It was very easy to do.

We went early and beat the heat and the crowds; as we were leaving it started to fill up and it was getting nuts since some of the little passageways are tight. IIRC, the train system had a major facelift for the Olympics with foreigners in mind so it is one of the most clean, modern and easy-to-navigate systems I have seen. All postings and announcements are in Greek and English. Here's the route map

scan0035.jpg

And the Acropoli station :)

3769263046_d54a88800c.jpg

we are taking the Celebrity excursions on our sept cruise--they usually know how to get you there best & we had great success in Rome & Florence....

.if it is crowded we will have our hats & water & wait for our turn...

Hi there,

We took the Celebrity Solstice on July 6th cruise and arrived in Athens early. We were there by around 7:00 and although they did not announce that they gangway was open we were some of the first people to leave the ship. There are plenty of taxi cabs waiting to take you to the centre of the city. We were told by Eric the shopping director, that 20 Euros was a reasonable fare for the 4 people.

It is very easy to do Athens on your own and if you plan your own visit, you will get an extra bonus; a visit to the newly opened Acropolis museum. This museum is wonderful and was definitely a highlight of the trip for us. Admission is only 1 Euro and we highly recommend you book your tickets online so you can avoid waiting in line.

I would certainly recommend going to the Acropolis first thing in the morning and visit the museum after.

Have a wonderful time and enjoy Athens!

donna

Hi

We used George the famous Taxi driver-google him. He was wonderful. Met us (2 couples)@ pier. Visited Cape Sounion, Acropolis, Temple of Zeus etc.We actually visited these sites-not just "take a picture & go". He has a wonderful zest for his profession. We worked out the itinerary with him prior to our cruise. Very cooperative-made great sugestions. MB with AC, a cooler full of bottled water which he dispensed w/o being asked. He loves his country

and it shows. Tell him Carole( 6-8-09 booking) sent you- you will not be disappointed

Enjoy

Carole

Oh one thing more he was less $ than Celebrity for more tour

thanks to everyone who repied with help for the Athens tour.

Jeffreyd, a special thanks for all your efforts.

anyone going to be there with us (my travel friend and myself) who want to do something regarding Athens together? Or does anyone need an extra 2 in their party? We are 2 women in our 50s. (young 50's!!)

Archived