Paul Gauguin La Veranda restaurant

dan33

The food is very good, as is all the food on the ship. No, it costs no extra. You should be able to make a reservation with the maitre'd upon boarding. Or, at least while the PG is a Regent ship, you can book online, the prescribed number of days before boarding.

I too love La Verandah - Ivan was in charge last year and ran it like a well oiled machine. He told us he would likely not be on the PG when we returned in November 2009 . We ate quite a few times there and also ate one dinner with Dion the Cruise Director who is really sweet.

We ate here twice on our July cruise. It is easy to get in, just ask if they have an opening or make a reservation at lunchtime. This is one thing I sweated about but ended up being very easy once onboard.

I have to say, while the food was very good we managed to have a less-than-stellar service on our last night--which was kind of a disappointment considering it was the last night and we wanted a special evening. The maitre'd had to step in to actually clear our plates, water glasses sat empty (we had to flag people down), server never checked on us, cheese plate was plopped down unceremoniously whereas the next table had the cart wheeled out and selections explained. It sounds almost petty to say but when you are on a luxury line, you should not have to do a tap dance to get the waiter's attention nor take 2 hours to have dinner -- and we were with a (very patient, well behaved) 7-yo. Not sure if we just had a fluke, server having a bad night or whatever, but I actually felt ignored. (Yes, we did say something.)

That said, service was very good elsewhere, with a few hiccups. The staff of Le Grill, especially the maitre'd, was terrific and so we ended up eating there more often than not. Very warm and they remembered likes, dislikes, etc. after our first night which is remarkable. Great staff.

Archived