Cruise with only U.S. ports

bcd2010

Does anyone know if there are any cruises/cruise lines that go only to U.S. ports? My nephew wants to go on a cruise but does not have a passport. I think he needs to get one but...

I was thinking he could do non-sea-going cruises, e.g., Mississippi River or Great Lakes, but he's hoping for an ocean cruise.

Does anyone know if there are any cruises/cruise lines that go only to U.S. ports? My nephew wants to go on a cruise but does not have a passport. I think he needs to get one but...

I was thinking he could do non-sea-going cruises, e.g., Mississippi River or Great Lakes, but he's hoping for an ocean cruise.

1. Any US flagged vessel does only US ports. the only large one is the pride of America- NCL's ship. there are a few small US flagged cruise ships that do the east coast and up the Mississippi.

but

2. Any foreign flagged vessel that does a closed loop(round trip coming back to the same US port) where they only do the Caribbean, Bermuda, Mexico or Canada does NOT require a US Passport....yet....

American Cruise Lines operates four or five small ships (about 100 passengers) on coastal cruises - they are pretty pricey - at least twice what mass market lines charge. Tell him to spring for a passport - even if he pays theextra $100 for one week delivery he'll save at least $500 - $1,000 per person for a one week cruise.

U.S. citizens can cruise to Canada, Bermuda, Mexico and the Caribbean without a passport on a closed-loop itinerary (one that begins and ends in a U.S. Port). You are required to have a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document. Here is the info:

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/eng_map.html

Although a person may not be required to have a passport, it is advisable to have one any time someone travels outside the U.S.

I think you can still cruise on the Alaska Marine Highway ferries (from Bellingham, WA to Dutch Harbor, AK) without a passport. (Possible exception for runs that begin/end in Prince Ruport, BC.)

"I think you can still cruise on the Alaska Marine Highway ferries (from Bellingham, WA to Dutch Harbor, AK) without a passport"

I might be missing something, but since both of these are US ports, why would you need a passport?

Your nephew can go on a nice Caribbean cruise without a passport. He's sure to be looking at something like that.:) If he leaves from Miami, Ft Lauderdale or any US port and returns to that same port, (called "closed loop" ) he is good to go. Just needs some i.d. See the U.S. passport rules in writing.

Archived