Tipping Question......Please don't bite my head off!!!

cruzin4us

Ok, I know tipping questions have been discussed at length, but I can't find an answer to this, and we are leaving in 2 days.

Please tell me if you have tipped after doing the Chef's table, and if so, how much pp?

Thanks guys :D

We also did not tip at the Chefs Table.

Marilyn

For information purposes if you would have put in Tipping at Chefs Table, all sorts of threads came up.

I tipped the Maitre D 40 ( I know him from previous cruises) the asst Maitre D 20 and the 2 waiter 10 each. My buddy tipped the pastry chef 20 when he came out and he tipped the executive chef 20 for the great dinner. we are tipping guys so I know a lot of cc's will say were STUPID or some other kind comment. I think my buddy tipped the 2 chefs because he knew I was tipping the others and we wanted to make sure everyone was "steaked" we always get the best service and we cruise many times and they do remember us. Iknow 80 bucks fro a 150 dinner is 50% but we don't consider it a 150 dinner for two. The guests can consume 100 dollars in alcohol alone. We make it easier on ourselves for future cruises. We get on the Sapphire in a couple months and they will remember the guys who took care of them. we always get all kinds of special deliveries to out cabin. He will call me and ask did you just get such and such delivered to your room and I will laugh and say yeah we are opening up the champagne right now or we will accept the VIP breakfast on the next sea day ( if you know what i maean) anyway you asked what we tipped and I replied. Take it as "it is what it is", that's the way we travel. I guess we are use to tipping folks and then we are treated extra special. We have certain pit bosses in vegas that we go and talk to before we even start gaming so we know what the service industry can do for you to ensure you have a wonderful time. Not all treatment is the same for everyone, that's the way the world is set up, I am just a player. I didn't make the game.

I wasn't sure whether or not to tip, and when we were at the dinner I didn't get the feeling that a tip was expected. So I wrote appreciation cards for the staffers, letting Princess know how great they made the dinner and how much we appreciated the opportunity.

Ok, I know tipping questions have been discussed at length, but I can't find an answer to this, and we are leaving in 2 days.

Please tell me if you have tipped after doing the Chef's table, and if so, how much pp?

Thanks guys :D

Do a search there are many threads on this subject.

Heres one.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1021880&highlight=tipping+chefs+table

I don't think it's necessary to be discreet. when your finished with your meal and your getting ready to leave just put some money in your hand when you shake hands and thank them. I usually do it that way and they light up and give you a great smile and thank you very much. In regards to the Maitre D' or the Asst. Maitre D' they might ask what you cabin number is so they can send you some chocolate dipped strawberries or flowers or ask you if you would like a nice breakfast in bed. They want to let you know how much they appreciate you aknowledging that they gave a great dinner outstanding service. This is their life and they take a lot of pride in what they do so it's a good feeling when everyone is very happy and not just the passengers who just finished a 3 plus hours meal.

Instead of saying yes we give an extra tip to those we feel deserve it why do some people have to tell you the exact amount that they tip. We give extra to those who have given us great service and do not expect anything extra from them.

I tip the wait staff and head waiter generously if service warrants. I tip our room steward handsomely if service warrants. I tip bartenders handsomely for superior service.

That said, I've never slipped the Captain a tip at the welcome back party and I never will. I have never tipped the maitre'd de hotel and I never will. I do not tip the ship's officers. I have never tipped at the Chef's table and I never will. I am not cheap, just respectful of rank. Bon Voyage!

I thought I read on this site that any crew member given a cash tip must put it into a pool for all to split. However with a supervisors permission if the passenger gives princess the ten or eleven dollars per day per person then the crewmember may keep the extra cash tip for themselves. If they keep the tip without supervisors permission they could be dismissed by Princess :confused:

Instead of saying yes we give an extra tip to those we feel deserve it why do some people have to tell you the exact amount that they tip. We give extra to those who have given us great service and do not expect anything extra from them.

When budgeting it helps as a guideline. On a tipping thread I would share or ask this information but not in a general conversation. Because it's said, doesn't mean it's done , so like everything else do take with a grain of salt. I am a budget traveler but include tips as a par to of my trip. It helps to know a decent amount to consider.

Archived